• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autspace 2019 / AAC

On one hand, the idea is interesting, it's within driving range, and I have nothing but free time. But on the other hand, the question arises: What the heck would I do there? Would there even be any events I'd care about? Not to mention that I'm about as social as a freaking brick. I realize this is pretty much all autistics attending, but still.

On the other hand, I go to the site for the place it's being held at, and... aaaaaaaaaaaa it's EXACTLY my sort of place. Those freaking PHOTOS. I love nature-y areas but they're in short supply in Illinois. Well, let me be more exact: Nature preserves that arent just ENDLESS FREAKING GRASS are in short supply. I swear this state mass-produces grassy areas, farm fields, and dilapidated barns that nobody in their right mind would go within 50 feet of because they might fall apart if you sneeze on them. But I like forests and places that are, you know, actually interesting. Tired of grass and wheat farms. What forests are around here are all in a state of disrepair. Which sounds like an odd word to apply to a forest but it makes alot of sense when you actually try going to one.

On yet another hand, or perhaps on a conveniently located table next to me, where would I stay? There's no way in the darkest pits of the abyss that I'd stay in a dorm or something. Not happening. I would need one of these cabin things, and I'd need it entirely to myself, because even at conventions that's exactly what I'm used to. But how much does that cost? I normally couldnt give less of a crap about cost, but considering that I'm not the source of that money, I dont like going overboard. These look "overboard". I'm used to hotel rooms (granted, those are always at conventions, which means dramatically inflated room prices because the hotels can get away with it, so maybe it might not be that much different in cost, but only certain hotels actually pull that one) which are often a bit easier to get. And smaller. I'm gonna guess that these cabins are in short supply, because of course they are. And the prices arent listed on the bloody site, which is a bit of a red flag. The question of whether or not there's an actual hotel nearby is also brought up, as that's always an option. I have my own van, I'm really used to hotels at this point, and going back and forth isnt exactly hard. Usually.

It does also occur to me that I dont have to worry too much about what others might think. I could be as freaking weird as I want. Well... almost.

Just... argh. This is actually something interesting for once, and I might really consider it (as long as I dont already have some convention I want to go to happening on the very same weekend) but... agh, it's a tough choice.

I may actually bring this up with my father and see if he has any input on it.

Do they pass out anxiety medication? :eek:

Probably not needed.

It's a quiet environment with ALOT of space. I have been to a location similar to that one once before, and... I dunno how best to explain it, but even if you try to make a crowd in an area like that, it still manages to be tranquil. It's just that sort of place. Alot of nature-y locations are like that. No matter what's going on, when you need some space totally to yourself, it's available to you.

Probably why it's being held there instead of, say, at a hotel. You want stressful, you hold events at a hotel.

I was at this when they had it in Waynesboro, PA in 2016, and then one other time when it was under different leadership in Bradford, PA, around 2008 I believe. The rooms in Waynesboro were enough like a regular hotel room. The rooms in Bradford were like regular dorms.

They do try to accommodate for vegan needs and other such needs within the room.
They have/had quiet spaces and there's never an obligation to attend any of the workshops or activities and you go and come as you please as long as you aren't causing a disturbance to others.

They try to keep noises to a minimum including a "seal clap" I think it was called. I forget what you do to do the seal clap, but it's not regular clapping which makes noises. You're supposed to not make noise when you use your hand motions basically.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom