• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

automatic movements

convallaria

I do not know exactly in which part of the forum will be more correct to post this message, so let it be here.
Recently I learned that there is a black substance (substantia nigra) in the brain and it is responsible for movements that people do unconsciously without using the hemispheres of the cerebral cortex. Damage to this part of the brain leads to Parkinson's disease. A physiology professor at my university said that people do not think that they need to get dressed to go out on the street or take a bus to come to work, etc (thanks to a black substance) But I think about it! About every move! Even if I know that a cup of tea is behind me, I need to turn around and think about how to take it, I can't do it automatically. But normal people can do it without thinking.
My friend Tulipa and I thought that this might be related to autism, because she has the same problem. (The only thing we do automatically is what is called stimming.) Do you think this is really so? Maybe you read some articles about this?
7-Tesla-MRI-solving-the-mystery-behind-Parkinsons1.jpg

People know they need to get dressed but must still think while getting dressed. I know not to walk out of my apartment naked, but I must still go through the process of choosing an outfit everyday.

That’s why aspies get more tired than NTs (I haven’t read about autistics in general, but I guess it’s the same). It’s the constant thinking about everything.

I have become a minimalist because of that, that way I have fewer decisions to make every day (like choosing clothes). Also, with this life style I have less stuff that distract my attention.

Is this supposed to be a symptom related to autism? I don't think I have that. Once I learn how to do something, I can do it on "autopilot", i.e. kinesthetic memory, even technically complex tasks like driving or playing a musical instrument. In fact, I'm better off if I'm thinking about something else because I don't perform as well if I'm thinking about every little thing I'm doing. I get exhausted after a few hours of having to deal with people (that is what I have to think about in great detail), but if it is just technical tasks that I do alone, I can easily work well into the night without realizing the time.

Hard to comment on. Neurologically-based involuntary movements covers a lot of ground in medicine.

I think it can happen in a mental crisis like with schizophrenia or extreme stress
I have a genetic predisposition to schizophrenia. but so far no voices in my head and I sleep well. although stress makes sense ...
I get exhausted after a few hours of having to deal with people (that is what I have to think about in great detail)
but if a person asks you to do something to which you have a kinetic memory? do you think about your movements because this is a social interaction or you do it without thinking? this is another question, but still.
Hard to comment on. Neurologically-based involuntary movements covers a lot of ground in medicine.
yes, I know... humans are very complex creatures. but this part of the brain which I'm talking about controls the processes that we do automatically after we have learned how to do it once. Also, these actions include fine motor skills (tying laces for example).

but if a person asks you to do something to which you have a kinetic memory? do you think about your movements because this is a social interaction or you do it without thinking? this is another question, but still.
Nope, it's just the social interaction that uses up energy. If the thing I am asked to do doesn't involve other people then it's all autopilot. It's usually something to do with computers which is fine.

New Threads

Top Bottom