1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic Self-Advocacy Network, LGBT Groups Release Statement on Needs of Trans Autistic People

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Joshua Aaron, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Joshua Aaron

Joshua Aaron Autistic Bisexual

[Not written by me. Written in 2016.]
    Source: Autistic Self-Advocacy Network, LGBT Groups Release Statement on Needs of Trans Autistic People, ASAN
    ——————​
    Today, the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network, the National LGBTQ Task Force, and the National Center for Transgender Equality released a joint statement about the needs of transgender and gender non-conforming autistic people and launched a social media campaign with the hashtag #AutisticTransPride to highlight transgender autistic voices and leadership.

Earlier this year, Kayden Clarke, a young transgender man in Arizona, was killed by police responding to a mental health crisis that arose soon after his Asperger’s diagnosis was used to deny him access to transition-related care. The events that preceded Kayden’s tragic and preventable death were, sadly, not unique. Transgender autistic people are often denied the autonomy, recognition and respect they need to live according to their gender identity.

Misconceptions about what it means to be transgender or about autistic people’s ability to understand their gender or make decisions about their bodies often prompt service providers or family members to stand in the way of transgender autistic people’s attempts to live life with authenticity and dignity. This can include denying transgender autistic people access to transition-related care, subjecting them to “normalization” treatments aimed at suppressing their gender expression, or placing them in guardianship or institutional settings that restrict their decision-making power. While research suggests a large overlap between transgender and autistic communities, trans autistic people often lack access to services and supports that understand and respect all aspects of their identity.

This campaign aims to shed light on these barriers, and the work that transgender autistic people have been leading to win the life-saving rights and recognition we deserve. Transgender autistic people and allies are encouraged to share their story using the #AutisticTransPride hashtag.

“Too frequently, autistic people are denied basic rights to make decisions about our own bodies and health care, including when it comes to expressing our gender identity,” said Sam Crane, Legal Policy Director for the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network. “Whether we’re transgender or not, autistic people’s gender identities are as real as anyone else’s and should be respected and supported, not dismissed based on baseless stereotypes.”

“Denying people access to critical health care and services is dangerous and immoral, but it’s a reality for many transgender people,” said Harper Jean Tobin, Policy Director at the National Center for Transgender Equality. “For transgender people who are also disabled, those barriers are often exacerbated. Equal access to care for everyone, including transition-related care, saves lives.”

“As advocates for transgender equality and disability justice, our work needs to reflect the concerns and priorities of our full community, including those of transgender autistic people,” said Victoria Rodríguez-Roldán, the Transgender/Gender Non-Conforming Justice Project Director at the National LGBTQ Task Force. “We need to make sure that transgender people with disabilities like myself are empowered to lead our movements, and that’s what this campaign is all about.”
    ——————​
    While I am not trans myself, but I am bisexual, which does mean I am within the LGBT community. It's also important to note that Autistics tend to be LGBT more than non-autistics.

Autistics are denied basic health care, along with LGBT folks, but mostly Autistics nowadays. I don't want to live in a world where I have to pay full price for the care I need due to discrimination.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  2. Streetwise

Streetwise very cautious contributor

Got to say this because it just came into my head the police frighten me now ,they were kind to me but what would it take before they shot me ,I’m not transgender, I’m not homosexual ,but I’m autistic what is the yardstick for being shot

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  3. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

You approach our police wielding any kind of weapon, and it's likely to be only seconds before they shoot first and ask questions later. Pretty much any overtly hostile act towards a policemen will result in their immediate use of lethal force. And of course on occasion it would seem even where no weapon is involved some use lethal force anyways. Which usually generates a fair amount of media coverage.

A policeman I once knew personally told me back in 1977 that if you resist arrest in any way it increases the possibility that an arresting officer will kill you. Threat assessment with many police doesn't appear to be a particularly sophisticated process. And this is all before factoring in the issue of race, let alone sexual orientation.

"Clarke was shot to death Thursday when Mesa police answered a call about a suicidal woman, Detective Estaban Flores said at a Friday news briefing. Two officers were talking to the person through an open door in a hallway when that person emerged and lunged at the officers with a large kitchen knife, he said."

Mesa police shoot, kill transgender man with Asperger's - CNN

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. oregano

oregano is on I-5 btwn Calif and Jefferson

Clarke clearly wanted to die. The American phenomenon of "suicide by cop" seems weird to people living in other countries, especially in parts of Europe, such as the UK, where police rarely carry firearms and have more extensive training in deescalation and nonlethal disarming tactics.

In the US police are trained to use lethal force if they perceive an imminent "lethal threat". Within the last 20 years or so the mentally ill have used this standard to end their own lives without having to pull the trigger themselves-just have the cops do it for them. Generally, it is far harder to disarm a person with an edged object such as a large knife, so the suicidal use chef knives that are readily available at grocery stores to attack police and force the use of lethal force. The standard chef knife is 8 inches, so this is likely what Clarke had.

Autism or not, suicide is alarmingly common among trans people, something like 40% eventually kill themselves. And then there is the fact that NT Americans refuse to take autism seriously and seem to believe that it is a curable behavioral disorder, one that stems from a supposed "chip on the shoulder" that people need to "get over" rather than a neurological difference.

America is a place where cancer patients are told that their tumors are the result of "unhappiness" and "not knowing Jesus". Yes, really. The idea that a lot of illness is psychosomatic is alarmingly common here, with Scientology taking it to the logical conclusion that ALL illness is the result of psychosomatic suffering induced by a form of spirit possession.

Sadly, this leads to an inescapable double bind for many, who are refused help until they "help themselves", which if they could do so they wouldn't need help in the first place. Then they kill themselves, after which people say "good riddance".

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Streetwise

They don’t need to shoot you in the UK they can just beat you to death

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. Judge

Sadly the same principle is in play. The perception that a suspect is trying to kill them. So they kill first.

Where a use of lethal force doesn't necessarily require the use of firearms. Such as the case of Eric Garner, where an arresting officer suffocated him to death with an unrelenting chokehold. His crime? Selling loose, untaxed cigarettes in front of a store.

Some of our police are trained to some degree in dealing with autistic citizens, but most are not. Even then, if they approach the police in a violent manner, all bets are off. Tragically such was the case for Kayden Clarke

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Ronin82

Ronin82 Dog Trainer Extraordinaire

I'm transgender, and Aspie, and even though I'm pretty good at blending in with NT's, its still been very difficult to get the care and support I need to survive and receive appropriate medical care. Thankfully I've found an Endocrinologist who specializes in trans-medicine so I'm getting care there, but my PCP is not so supportive. I expect to have to do some serious explaining to my PCP as I walk this journey. It's a tough world to navigate!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Streetwise

You don’t hear about is many quick deaths as I call them ,it’s more like somebody rotting in prison, like Giuseppe Conlon given no healthcare,Or just starved as they held in custody, there are not many people who hold up to the polices arrogant standards, I can’t believe they don’t just armlock solicitors, they seem to have the attitude that they are Judge and jury, but they’re probably to self-righteous to touch a solicitor .

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Judge

Yes, the Guildford Four acquittal exposed in court just how corrupt British law enforcement can get.

Ironically had Giuseppe Conlon been given proper cardiac care, his son Gerry might not have so zealously embraced the cause for his own acquittal, along with the other three defendants who languished in prison for many years.

Gerry Conlon may have been a petty thief, but he was no terrorist. His father Giuseppe was guilty of nothing at all, other than having Gerry as his son.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Streetwise

got to stop here or I’ll have to go to the politics section

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Judge

Looks like the mods granted your wish. ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1