• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic high school football player makes tackle, has entire audience going wild

I don't know anything about football, and I'm assuming this would be an accomplishment no matter who does it.

The fact that "autism" is in the headline and is clearly the focus of the article really bugs me. I'm not sure if this would be considered newsworthy if he weren't seen as "disabled" and therefore it's "surprising" that he has skills.

Alright...

We don't know what level of autism he is, that makes a big difference to me... As we all know, some HFA people are far less obvious then other people with autism

I have a diagnosis of HFA (within the last few months), I have dabbled for years in photography, no I'm not famous yet... If (a big "if" :rolleyes:) I ever become famous, would I become the "street photographer with Asperger's"? Would I want that label?

If I was to be interviewed for my photography I'm not sure I would even bring that up, or should I? Perhaps it would be an encouragement to other people

Alright...

We don't know what level of autism he is, that makes a big difference to me... As we all know, some HFA people are far less obvious then other people with autism

I have a diagnosis of HFA (within the last few months), I have dabbled for years in photography, no I'm not famous yet... If (a big "if" :rolleyes:) I ever become famous, would I become the "street photographer with Asperger's"? Would I want that label?

If I was to be interviewed for my photography I'm not sure I would even bring that up, or should I? Perhaps it would be an encouragement to other people

Personally, I wouldn't, except in passing. It would royally piss me off to become known for my disability (unless, of course, my work was specifically for activism, and then it would be relevant).

Of course, being female bodied, I get unnecessarily angry when I see the same thing happening to women/girls - someone accomplishes something that would be an accomplishment for anyone and all the media can focus on is the fact that they happen to be female.

New Threads

Top Bottom