• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic gravitates to other autistic

ヤス三ン

Do you think that Autistic people / children tend to gravitate more towards other Autistic people even if they don't realise it, and get on better with them?

Last year I discovered that it is highly likely that I am autistic, then recently I learnt that one of my friends (introvert like me) who was my best friend during primary school (I had 2 friends in total, didn't end up in the same secondary school as them) is also highly likely to be autistic. I thought that was really interesting. My friend was never put off by any of my weirdness, we never asked questions about each other's family, I didn't ask if she got up to anything with her family when I wasn't hanging out with her, she didn't ask me either (I don't recall us asking each other how we were), I went on a few days out with her and a couple of holidays (involved part of the time staying with their family) with her and her dad (I might have been her support as well as company), we spent a lot of time at her house and mostly did things that she liked (e.g. PlayStation), at my house we did things that I liked or came up with (e.g board games, batting garden apples over neighbour's fence). Oh and we both unknowingly bought the same top with a cat on and the same dressing gown.

I definitely think so, and it fits with my experience as well. Two weeks ago, as a complete coincidence (they live in different countries) two of my best friends told me that they think they are autsitic. I had known one of them for 7 years and the other one for a bit over a year and a half. We didn't discuss autism much till then, but they might be further along the spectrum than me. One other friend is also very likely on the spectrum (all girls, interestingly enough). I also tend to become friends with ADHD people. I think it's because they tend to be more honest than others, so you don't need to second guess as much what they are really thinking. I also find it easiest to speak with my ASD friends, and when we are meeting up, I don't worry that I am pushing them too far, or think they secretly might not want to spend time with me/that I bore them.

I definitely think so, and it fits with my experience as well. Two weeks ago, as a complete coincidence (they live in different countries) two of my best friends told me that they think they are autsitic. I had known one of them for 7 years and the other one for a bit over a year and a half. We didn't discuss autism much till then, but they might be further along the spectrum than me. One other friend is also very likely on the spectrum (all girls, interestingly enough). I also tend to become friends with ADHD people. I think it's because they tend to be more honest than others, so you don't need to second guess as much what they are really thinking. I also find it easiest to speak with my ASD friends, and when we are meeting up, I don't worry that I am pushing them too far, or think they secretly might not want to spend time with me/that I bore them.

Also it turns out that I wasn't following the norms of social interaction with my friend, but that was never an issue since we were both ike that.
Oh and we both never engaged in pretend play.

I have a lot of bipolar people in my life. I have no idea what's that about. My best bosses were on the spectrum. One was never was upset with me. My other boss, we got along great. I quit after she left.

While not autistics specifically, outcasts are definitely drawn to outcasts. It's social survival and comes with a free baseline understanding since you share that outcast status. In school, being autistic often comes parallel with eventually being an outcast, it just happens. So I hung out with my fellow rejects. People with severe adhd or people that smoked and skipped class and such. Even lost a friend as he ceased to be a reject through his maturation, happy for him though.

I suspect my elementary friend was on the spectrum. We just hung out. She was very laid back for her age. Extremely easy going, sincere kind of person. I have had some great friends in my lifetime and a few that were maybe not cool.

Stands to reason. I bonded with a coworker for many years. Didn't realize what we had in common until long after both of us left the company. Though I thought his traits and behaviors were much more apparent than my own.

I have one first cousin and a second cousin I also believe are on the spectrum, though I'd never dream of approaching either of them about it. :oops:

I think this is true. Most of my current and past friends were on the spectrum. Also one of my nephews has a son who is on the spectrum, and when he was very young he crawled up in my lap and wanted me to hold him. His parents could not believe it because he did not like to be held. This was before I knew I was autistic.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom