• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

autistic friend being abused

SchrodingersMeerkat

trash mammal
I have a friend who has Asperger.s He tells me he is being abused, both emotionally and physically. He says no one will believe him about the abuse because his father is a minister and a well-respected member of the community. Apparently, it is a VERY small town. I don't know all the details because this is an online friend.

I'm not sure how his father being the minister is related to not believing his story. Is his father the person who is abusing him? Perhaps you could tell him about this site, perhaps he could come here and talk about it here.

I'm not sure how his father being the minister is related to not believing his story. Is his father the person who is abusing him? Perhaps you could tell him about this site, perhaps he could come here and talk about it here.

It's a VERY small, Bible-Belt type town. In those type of towns, the church elder is looked upon as an authority figure. People tend to forget that the minister is human just like them and able to commit sins, let alone abusing their child behind closed doors.

He needs to report this to authorities that are not part of the town or their authority structure.

Unfortunately I have personal experience with clergy abuse. Anyone can be an abuser, it's a shame people often aren't believed when it's someone of power. I agree with @WereBear that it should be reported through the town and not through the church.

Actually, often churches work together and there may be someone above him. He could report to them but I still think going to the town would be better.

Actually, often churches work together and there may be someone above him. He could report to them but I still think going to the town would be better.

He has tried. The police in that town side with his father. He says the physical abuse was only once...but still it could happen again. And emotional abuse needs to be taken seriously.

If he's a minor there's DYFAS and child protective services. For adults with disabilities I believe there are adult protective services as well.

Is there any way he can get video footage of what is going on? (Hiding a camera in his room or something like that)

Is your friend under 18 or an adult? The reason I ask is I'm wondering whether he is old enough to emancipate himself.

If he is a minor, perhaps he could try calling the state-wide reporting number for whichever state he lives in?
Here is a directory of them: Related Organizations - Child Welfare Information Gateway
Or call/text the national childhelp line? here is a link to their website: Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline

If he is an adult, this website offers links to adult protective services by state: Help In Your Area | National Adult Protective Services Association

I believe that child/adult protective services would probably send out social workers first if they decided to investigate -- maybe social workers would have a different take on things, and might be able to offer support to your friend without any police involvement at all.

Maybe he should contact the state police. Also, if he has a smartphone, he could live stream video of the abuse to the world while it's happening by using an app like Periscope. That would get someone's attention. If he can't do any of that, then depending on how severe the abuse, he could start walking. That's what I would do. Eventually, I'd get out of the middle of nowhere.

Maybe he should contact the state police. Also, if he has a smartphone, he could live stream video of the abuse to the world while it's happening by using an app like Periscope. That would get someone's attention. If he can't do any of that, then depending on how severe the abuse, he could start walking. That's what I would do. Eventually, I'd get out of the middle of nowhere.

He says he has recorded his father abusing him but won't send it to anyone I suggest.

New Threads

Top Bottom