• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic fan's post to Michael Phelps goes viral

Brent

Administrator
Austin Levingston's post on Michael Phelps' Facebook page has stirred significant attention from onlookers motivated by his message.

As Levingston, who has autism, wrote in the message, he is a college student and swimmer who bears a striking resemblance to the storied Olympian. Here's an excerpt from his post:

I know you may not care to read this but you are one of my biggest idols and I've been following you for a very long time. Right now, I am currently going to college and hoping to become the first person in my whole family to get a degree. I am also a swim competitor just like you and I'm hoping to swim in the Olympics just like you someday.

The likes and replies came flooding in from well-wishers bringing kindness to the comments section for a change. Per the Baltimore Sun'sJonas Shaffer, Levingston didn't anticipate the overwhelming response.

"When I first posted the comment, I never thought any of this was going to happen," Levingston said. "I never thought any of it was going to go as far it's come."

The Kansas native also described the impact swimming has had on his life.

"The sport gave me an amazing feeling that I have never felt before,"Levingston said.

He doesn't know if Phelps saw his post, but it's likely only a matter of time before Phelps notices the national attention sparked by a man he inspired, who is now inspiring everyone else.

[Facebook, h/t Baltimore Sun]

New Threads

Top Bottom