1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic Culture

Discussion in 'Help and Support' started by NoKipAr on the run, Apr 26, 2021.

1. NoKipAr on the run

NoKipAr on the run New Member

I think it would be nice if We had our own Culture.

I remember I once wanted my own Subculture(s) back in 2010 but then after working myself thin I ended up getting Psychosis. I also remember the book "your life is not a label" says this idea is very important.

what are your thoughts on this subject?

let me know.

• Like Like x 1
  2. KagamineLen

KagamineLen Video game and movie addict.

We need to set up a bar where beer and wings are served. And then we all get together and realize we are far too diverse to have our own unified culture. And that's perfectly OK.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Creative x 1
  3. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I'll come for the wings. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Magna

Magna Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

It's an interesting thought. I've thought about this before and I agree that we are all very different.

Would the rejection of neurotypicality as an aspiration or standard be a basis for "autism culture"?

5. Finder

Finder Active Member

I am not sure neurotypicality is a culture.

I think the problem with the concept of culture is that it implies something personally unifying. Culture is simply a group identifier. It sorts people into groups of characteristics (race, wealth, geographic location, food preference, music), but does not define any individual.

You could say that culture is an emergent property of individual behavior. Put enough people togther and you see patterns. But not all member adhere to those patterns.

So what are the emergent properties or characteristics of autism? I guess that would be our "culture."

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wolfsage

Wolfsage In training to be Wolf King.

A lot of powerful people meeting together in one place? It might destabilize the planet!! Lol.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bolletje

Bolletje Overly complicated potato V.I.P Member

I think it’s too diverse a group to have a culture.

8. Qoyote

Qoyote Well-Known Member

I mean, we're on a site where autistic people come to talk about autism or anything else.

9. Thinx

Thinx Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Because we have a stigmatised identity that is in general only considered fully genuine when conferred through diagnosis of a disorder, I guess you could call it a culture of the oppressed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1