• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic Culture

NoKipAr on the run

I think it would be nice if We had our own Culture.

I remember I once wanted my own Subculture(s) back in 2010 but then after working myself thin I ended up getting Psychosis. I also remember the book "your life is not a label" says this idea is very important.

what are your thoughts on this subject?

let me know.

We need to set up a bar where beer and wings are served. And then we all get together and realize we are far too diverse to have our own unified culture. And that's perfectly OK.

It's an interesting thought. I've thought about this before and I agree that we are all very different.

Would the rejection of neurotypicality as an aspiration or standard be a basis for "autism culture"?

I am not sure neurotypicality is a culture.

I think the problem with the concept of culture is that it implies something personally unifying. Culture is simply a group identifier. It sorts people into groups of characteristics (race, wealth, geographic location, food preference, music), but does not define any individual.

You could say that culture is an emergent property of individual behavior. Put enough people togther and you see patterns. But not all member adhere to those patterns.

So what are the emergent properties or characteristics of autism? I guess that would be our "culture."

I mean, we're on a site where autistic people come to talk about autism or anything else.

Because we have a stigmatised identity that is in general only considered fully genuine when conferred through diagnosis of a disorder, I guess you could call it a culture of the oppressed.

New Threads

Top Bottom