• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic client talking to staff member

mandart

A guy whom I know at a program in which I work for people with disabilities. He talks to one of the staff members. He has high functioning autism. Everytime he sees her, he talks to her. He sometimes goes to groups with her. Even when he leaves his group, he again talks to her. Why is that?

He wants a friend.

Sounds like you probably answered your own question? That seems like a probable reason. Does that seem odd to you that he'd want to talk to someone or that he might want a friend?

A guy whom I know at a program in which I work for people with disabilities. He talks to one of the staff members. He has high functioning autism. Everytime he sees her, he talks to her. He sometimes goes to groups with her. Even when he leaves his group, he again talks to her. Why is that?

Because he's a human being capable of having normal human interactions with other humans.

It sounds like he has become especially attached to the staff member. As a person with disabilities he may have quite a bit of isolation in his life. But I have seen that sort of thing quite a bit with NTs as well, especially in school years, when belonging, not being isolated, can be very important. Many outgoing, or personable people find themselves with sidekicks (as we used to call them). I've been one and had them myself. Really the important aspect is whether the staff member is comfortable with the situation or not. It's kind of up to the staff member to establish whatever boundries are necessary. As an onlooker, I would not interfer, unless they were obviously harassing the staff worker, or if the staff worker looker stressed perhaps talk to the staff worker privately (ie. Is so and so bothering you, etc).

Seems like regular behaviour to me for someone who has gotten a good connection with a staff member.

I don't understand the question, what is bothering you?

New Threads

Top Bottom