• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism symptoms?

McGremlinpaws

So I am debating whether or not I might have autism.

I grew up thinking I was just a socially awkward, blunt child but ever since quarantine I’ve been reflecting more and I’m curious whether my symptoms are a sign of autism or just me trying to justify my behavior. I was homeschooled my entire childhood and was left to my own devices most of the time for some backstory. I’m just going to list symptoms that I see in myself.

- I used to force myself to stop crying when I was upset as a younger child so my parents wouldn’t hug me. I liked hugs at other times though.

- For about 2-3 years starting when i was about 6-7ish my normal speaking voice was a monotone. People used to call me a robot.

- I need to spend about an hour after work in the dark not talking to recuperate. At work I try to sneak into a dark room as often as possible to recharge.

- Sometimes I have periods of time where I feel like I have a lump in my throat and can’t physically get the words out. I can force myself to talk but it doesn’t feel good. I’m not upset or anything, I just can’t talk.

- I have a lot of issues with foods and food texture.

- I’m very inappropriate and blunt when I talk, but talking in a socially appropriate way is super boring.

- I get stuck in research on random things that I’ve seen in passing or something. Ex. the backstories of video game characters for a game I’ve never played or various forms of hypospadias.

- numerous people have made comments on my fidgeting over the years. I constantly play with my earrings or hair or bounce my leg.

- I know it’s more of a stereotype about autistic people, but I’m basically asexual. I find sex boring, I like the closeness but that about it.

- I need to listen to music while shopping or at the gym by myself or I get stressed out and anxious.

- I love small dark and tight spaces to chill in and read. Under my bed is the best spot.

- I have always been obsessed with reading from basically when I first learned to read. I used to stay awake until dawn as a child reading.

- When I get upset I have strong urges to slam my head against the wall. Like I can feel the sensation and I know it would help me feel better. I used to pull my hair as a kid to stop crying and I was a cutter in high school.

That’s as much as I can think of now.

Hi and welcome. Yes could be high autistic traits or Aspergers. You can maybe continue to research this here and elsewhere, and see how this fits for you. I hope you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive.

:herb::dragon::cactus::bug::evergreen::leafwind::crocodile::palmtree::seedling::sunflower:

Welcome @McGremlinpaws

I share a number of the traits you describe and I am officially diagnosed with Asperger's. I was very big on recording things in my teens, and I always hated the sound of my voice on playback, as it always seemed monotonous and boring with little variation in pitch. I would like to think that is no longer true, at least from hearing it in my own head, but I am loathe to test that idea and find out that I have not changed one bit. :)

From your descriptions it strikes me that you are certainly on the autistic spectrum. If you are looking for acceptance or validation you have certainly found the right place.

May you find what you seek.

Around 1 in 7 people have autistic traits and there is no clear line between having autistic traits and being autistic. It's a continuum and the cut-off for a diagnosis is mostly arbitrary. It's based on whether people who evaluate you think your autistic traits are severe enough to significantly affect important areas of functioning. You could get evaluated twice and have one professional diagnose you as autistic and another tell you that you're not autistic.

gifopolis.com_1512001.gif

On behalf of the Supreme Council of the Emerald Planet I welcome you to the Spectrum.

What aspie super power do you desire for Christmas?

I have 'Can read Rodents minds' and 'Speak without Vowels' left.

;)

Hi and Welcome @McGremlinpaws to the Forums.

Do make yourself at home, and read some of the other threads in here.
Self diagnosis is perfectly accepted in here so if you feel that autism fits that OK

Hello neighbor,
Your traits are very similar to autistic/Asperger's traits; stick around & hopefully you'll find this a like-minded community.

So I am debating whether or not I might have autism.

I grew up thinking I was just a socially awkward, blunt child but ever since quarantine I’ve been reflecting more and I’m curious whether my symptoms are a sign of autism or just me trying to justify my behavior. I was homeschooled my entire childhood and was left to my own devices most of the time for some backstory. I’m just going to list symptoms that I see in myself.

- I used to force myself to stop crying when I was upset as a younger child so my parents wouldn’t hug me. I liked hugs at other times though.

- For about 2-3 years starting when i was about 6-7ish my normal speaking voice was a monotone. People used to call me a robot.

- I need to spend about an hour after work in the dark not talking to recuperate. At work I try to sneak into a dark room as often as possible to recharge.

- Sometimes I have periods of time where I feel like I have a lump in my throat and can’t physically get the words out. I can force myself to talk but it doesn’t feel good. I’m not upset or anything, I just can’t talk.

- I have a lot of issues with foods and food texture.

- I’m very inappropriate and blunt when I talk, but talking in a socially appropriate way is super boring.

- I get stuck in research on random things that I’ve seen in passing or something. Ex. the backstories of video game characters for a game I’ve never played or various forms of hypospadias.

- numerous people have made comments on my fidgeting over the years. I constantly play with my earrings or hair or bounce my leg.

- I know it’s more of a stereotype about autistic people, but I’m basically asexual. I find sex boring, I like the closeness but that about it.

- I need to listen to music while shopping or at the gym by myself or I get stressed out and anxious.

- I love small dark and tight spaces to chill in and read. Under my bed is the best spot.

- I have always been obsessed with reading from basically when I first learned to read. I used to stay awake until dawn as a child reading.

- When I get upset I have strong urges to slam my head against the wall. Like I can feel the sensation and I know it would help me feel better. I used to pull my hair as a kid to stop crying and I was a cutter in high school.

That’s as much as I can think of now.

There are a lot of quizzes available online that can help you evaluate this. Take several, and compare the results. That will give you a good idea, and may help you decide if you want to pursue it further or possibly get officially diagnosed. Best of Luck.

Welcome to the forums and apparently the spectrum :). Have you discussed this with your parents? Why did they homeschool you? Maybe they know more than you think they know.

Today I was looking at a map of the Caribbean Islands. From there I ended up delving in the Huns. Does anyone know the connection? I hope to retire soon so I will have more time to spend on this stuff, lol.

Last edited:
No and I don’t really plan to. I don’t think they would believe it unless I had an actual diagnosis tbh. I have two siblings with severe and destructive mental illness that has affected my family a lot and anything to do with neurodivergency is not really discussed. My parents homeschooled all 8 of my siblings so it had less to do with me and more to do with my parents being in a Christian homeschool cult/fellowship.

Sorry to hear that. The genes associated with ASD can also cause mental illness, I understand. Einstein had a son with schizophrenia, for example.

It sounds worse than it is! But, yeah one sibling has schizophrenia and tried to kill different family members over the years and the other is morbidly depressed and tried to kill themselves vis starvation. Idk though, any people that I’ve told I might be autistic have said that they don’t see it, besides my gf and sister.

Idk though, any people that I’ve told I might be autistic have said that they don’t see it, besides my gf and sister.
People still need to be educated about what ASD can "look like". Do they think Elon Musk looks ASD? Something to ask the doubters. I had no doubts about after reading his autobiography and also learning they kept testing his hearing when he was little (me too).

It sounds worse than it is! But, yeah one sibling has schizophrenia and tried to kill different family members over the years and the other is morbidly depressed and tried to kill themselves vis starvation. Idk though, any people that I’ve told I might be autistic have said that they don’t see it, besides my gf and sister.

I wouldn't worry about the ones who say "I don't see it". Most people will base these opinions off fictional depictions from movies and t.v. shows. If you aren't Rainman or Sheldon Cooper they decide "you can't really be autistic".
That is like saying you can't be a doctor because they don't see a stethoscope.

Welcome

New Threads

Top Bottom