• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Spectrum Syndrome (ASS) ?

Jumpback

Just an idea I had.

I was a little surprised to find out that the whole “autism spectrum disorder” within the DSM only includes 3 levels and there is so little around it. So I wasn’t exactly sure if I fit completely and was looking around and saw “Executive Function Disorder” and thought that’s maybe where I might fit, but this isn’t a thing in the DSM.

Maybe they could add a new category, ‘Autism Spectrum Syndrome’ or ASS :0) as a more generalized catch all for people who fit in there somewhere but not in a very clear or standard way.

Then there could be sort of different levels or distinctions. Like:

Type 1 ASS is: a, b,c
Type 2 ASS is: d,e,f
Type 3 ASS is: g,h,i

This might also solve the problem of it being so hard to kind of get in the door to receive help with autism issues if people don’t look the part, like if they aren’t a male who likes computers and says awkward things to girls while looking down.

The acronym/abbreviation for "Autism Spectrum Syndrome" is a most unfortunate
one, for readers or speakers of English.

I’ve had people tell me that I am an ASS, but I don’t believe that these people were certified professionals

Last edited:
Any other humorous but useful acronyms? I was trying to think of one for BUTT..

Btw, I am serious about the original post, I just realized afterward I had chosen a name where the acronym spelled out a word.

I am in total agreement with the necessity for a broader syndrome. I think it would solve a lot of problems.

Also, this entire thread has me laughing my Autism Spectrum Syndrome off.

I am in total agreement with the necessity for a broader syndrome. I think it would solve a lot of problems.

Also, this entire thread has me laughing my Autism Spectrum Syndrome off.

Yeah, I mean I have been at different times diagnosed with 5 different disorders and other explanations surrounding events. It's not like it's a fake problem, and when I look at things like is it ADHD or is it autism, it's definitely the autism choice. But I also don't have some issues others have, like I don't have coordination issues, I come across as pretty normal and I only stim under great stress. But it's definitely this because everything generally matches, like I really can't wear tight clothes and so on.

Is It ADHD or Autism?

Plus there are additional problems like women being unable to get diagnosed because high functioning autism is seen as a man thing.

But I am really completely dibilitated due to events and I need answers and help, and it becomes very frustrating when I have the option of either fitting in with type one ASD or having absolutely nothing at all

Last edited:
In German it doesn't matter if you call it "Autismus Spektrum Störung" (Störung = Disorder) or "Autismus Spektrum Syndrom", it's both ASS for short:p

Last edited:
Just an idea I had.

I was a little surprised to find out that the whole “autism spectrum disorder” within the DSM only includes 3 levels and there is so little around it. So I wasn’t exactly sure if I fit completely and was looking around and saw “Executive Function Disorder” and thought that’s maybe where I might fit, but this isn’t a thing in the DSM.

Maybe they could add a new category, ‘Autism Spectrum Syndrome’ or ASS :0) as a more generalized catch all for people who fit in there somewhere but not in a very clear or standard way.

Then there could be sort of different levels or distinctions. Like:

Type 1 ASS is: a, b,c
Type 2 ASS is: d,e,f
Type 3 ASS is: g,h,i

This might also solve the problem of it being so hard to kind of get in the door to receive help with autism issues if people don’t look the part, like if they aren’t a male who likes computers and says awkward things to girls while looking down.

Executive function disorder is a common comorbid of autism. Autism often has some or a bunch of other stuff connected to it. Like a hub with spokes. I have executive function disorder, ADHD, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, dyslexia in addition to my austism. Some things overlap with the autism, especially the dyspraxia.

So pretty much a Type 2.5 ASS: efdadhddddetc. But no Assburgers.

Last edited:
Your idea would allow greater specificity, Jumpback. I find the current DSM's categorization: quite nebulous and general enough to sacrifice accuracy.

I read that Autism Level 1 (apparently the new name for, "Asperger's Syndrome") entailed difficulties with planning and organization (that's what I read, in an overview of the 3 Levels). That sounds strange. I suspect that many fellow people, diagnosed with Asperger's: excel at planning and love to organize. Aren't we more likely to struggle with the unexpected: deviations from our plans and routines?

Your idea would allow greater specificity, Jumpback. I find the current DSM's categorization: quite nebulous and general enough to sacrifice accuracy.

I read that Autism Level 1 (apparently the new name for, "Asperger's Syndrome") entailed difficulties with planning and organization (that's what I read, in an overview of the 3 Levels). That sounds strange. I suspect that many fellow people, diagnosed with Asperger's: excel at planning and love to organize. Aren't we more likely to struggle with the unexpected: deviations from our plans and routines?

I am debilitatingly bad at planning and organizing. Things being so vastly different is my point with this thread.

New Threads

Top Bottom