• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Shutdown?

Have you been feeling that lately? Or are you just researching :OO I very much know what this feels like. Have you had one before? I'm pretty sure most people in general cry when they are babies, maybe what they cry at as babies effects what makes them sad/triggered as they get older.

Have you been feeling that lately? Or are you just researching :OO I very much know what this feels like. Have you had one before? I'm pretty sure most people in general cry when they are babies, maybe what they cry at as babies effects what makes them sad/triggered as they get older.
Thank your for the concern I appreciate it. I am doing okay I seen a video about autism shutdown and I wanted to know more about it. I did some research and thought this article was helpful with understanding how a shutdown can cause a person to act. It is common for adults to experience them as well when there can be a lot of stress in their life.

I found this to be important to understand what an autistic shutdown is and how it can affect the person who is experiencing intense waves of stress.

I have enjoyed this writing very much. It is very nice to be able to read something to which I can relate.

Regarding my own rather rare shutdowns, is that IMO it's not something ANYONE can intervene in, despite them having the best of intentions. That's it's a "fog" of sorts that I must come out of entirely on my own.

Of course the reality of my own situation has always been that everyone around me didn't have a clue as to what was happening to begin with.

Thank your for the concern I appreciate it. I am doing okay I seen a video about autism shutdown and I wanted to know more about it. I did some research and thought this article was helpful with understanding how a shutdown can cause a person to act. It is common for adults to experience them as well when there can be a lot of stress in their life.
Aww that's definitely true, I've seen it in myself, family and countless others. Luckily I haven't had one for several weeks though because I have been relaxed and patient despite the hardships <3 It probably would be a lot worse if I still went to school so I have pressure put off me (No hard feelings to you or anyone who's still in school, if you are!)

Shutdown for me, is totally flat affect, zero eye contact, and scripted replies, if I talk at all. I literally switch off every vital aspect of myself as a person. You want an autistic robot stereotype, my shutdown mode is it.

If I ever take my glasses off, it is a red flag that I am in overwhelm heading into shutdown. I cannot see anything six inches beyond my nose without my glasses. I need them to function; I take them off and it blurs the incoming sensory stimuli and removes the plethora of details, I would otherwise compile.

Shutdown is a short duration switch off. Meltdown is an overload fueled outburst of emotions.

Last edited:
Shutdown for me, is totally flat affect, zero eye contact, and scripted replies, if I talk at all. I literally switch off every vital aspect of myself as a person. You want an autistic robot stereotype, my shutdown mode is it.

If I ever take my glasses off, it is a red flag that I am in overwhelm heading into shutdown. I cannot see anything six inches beyond my nose without my glasses. I need them to function; I take them off and it blurs the incoming sensory stimuli and removes the plethora of details, I would otherwise compile.

Shutdown is a short duration switch off. Meltdown is an overload fueled outburst of emotions.
Same!!! No talky, all angy. >:,( Whoa you must get pretty upset in that state to remove your spectacles! *hug*

Ughhhh same here :rolleyes: it's like I'm literally rendered incapable of expressing any sort of emotion or being able to speak. I hate that feeling so so so much :disappointed:. Thankfully, I haven't had an episode in a good while. Life has calmed down for me somewhat.

Ughhhh same here :rolleyes: it's like I'm literally rendered incapable of expressing any sort of emotion or being able to speak. I hate that feeling so so so much :disappointed:. Thankfully, I haven't had an episode in a good while. Life has calmed down for me somewhat.
Aww that's good, I'm so happy for you because the same thing has happened to me ^^

Likewise with the glasses. The total "tune-out". I can do well by just closing my eyes, but...100% of my shutdowns are caused by my spouse, and she just keeps pushing, pushing, pushing. "Open your eyes, look at me, LOOK AT ME!" Taking the glasses off and giving only a slight glance will sometimes suffice.

Likewise with the glasses. The total "tune-out". I can do well by just closing my eyes, but...100% of my shutdowns are caused by my spouse, and she just keeps pushing, pushing, pushing. "Open your eyes, look at me, LOOK AT ME!" Taking the glasses off and giving only a slight glance will sometimes suffice.
Aww man, that's rough :(

That's...very concerning to read about your spouse. Have you tried to discuss it with them?

I know that I wouldn't tolerate it if I'm in a state of non-communication and someone just..keeps pestering me to communicate.

In general, during overload and shutdown--does anyone else experience the following sensation?

I notice that my face tenses up and I feel pressure in my forehead and sinuses, and under my eyes feels very heavy. My brain feels as though it's behind a block. What is the cause of this? Is it...only me?

This is too much. That’s awful to hear in a time of shutdown.

My first instinct is to press and cover my eyes and forehead.
Me... When I was in a shopping place last year, I was so overwhelmed that I had to yell, storm off, cover my eyes and sit far away. I am still young after all so now and then, I may have a meltdown if there's too much noise. I was shopping for my school's formal, super duper stressful. Did you ever have a moment like that when you were younger?

In general, during overload and shutdown--does anyone else experience the following sensation?

I notice that my face tenses up and I feel pressure in my forehead and sinuses, and under my eyes feels very heavy. My brain feels as though it's behind a block. What is the cause of this? Is it...only me?
Same man. It's like a clanging headache that gets louder with more noise. Luckily I don't experience it very often, but I'm sure all of us here have had that in some intensity :)

Aww that's definitely true, I've seen it in myself, family and countless others. Luckily I haven't had one for several weeks though because I have been relaxed and patient despite the hardships <3 It probably would be a lot worse if I still went to school so I have pressure put off me (No hard feelings to you or anyone who's still in school, if you are!)
I was super close to having one today at work :(

I'm in my early 50s now. I've never had a shutdown caused by noise, crowds or work, though I've had what I would call "precursors" to a shutdown in some stressful situations. I would compare that to "zoning-out", just sort of standing there rocking lightly with a grin on my face. This mostly happened at a church I attended, where things would get pretty wild (I would call it a "holy roller" church. I was there because it was where my spouse wanted to be. It could get very uncomfortable for me, though I liked the people.) It was my shutdowns (with my spouse) that lead to my eventual diagnosis. She's not stupid, but she refuses to believe I can't control the shutdowns, or that I can't be "cured" in general. Tip for any neurotypicals reading this: telling someone who is undergoing a shutdown to stop shutting down will cause them to shut down even harder :) At least, that's been my experience!

New Threads

Top Bottom