• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism question

Ginseng

Christian
V.I.P Member
Do y’all have a hard time defining and explaining your symptoms when you are sick? I find that so frustrating when I go to the doctor. I have learned to try to prepare ahead of time literally spending hours trying to identify what my symptoms are. They don’t understand that I am trying to tell them my symptoms, but I cannot find words to describe them.

Ive actually written them down so I can remember. My mind tends to go blank, than I panic and can’t remember whats going on.

Do y’all have a hard time defining and explaining your symptoms when you are sick? I find that so frustrating when I go to the doctor. I have learned to try to prepare ahead of time literally spending hours trying to identify what my symptoms are. They don’t understand that I am trying to tell them my symptoms, but I cannot find words to describe them.
Yes, at times I have experienced this very same thing. It is particularly difficult for me to describe belly pain and discomfort on days when I have a bad stomach. I had gastric bypass because I was in really bad health. Of course, it really screwed with my already wonky digestive system. So it basically put my diabetes in remission and I am down 80 pounds but other things developed.

Same difficulty, here. Ask me a series of pointblank questions and I am able to answer them. Ask me to explain/ describe my symptoms and I am at a complete loss for words. Strange how that happens.

Yes, we do have to 1. remember to bring the list with us and 2. be willing to look at it while we're there. lol (I have those problems).

Exactly.

Also what we've written down has to make sense to/be correctly understood by the doctor....that doesn't always happen for me.

Yes sometimes, if it is an internal sensation... things like a runny nose or a sore throat are easy to describe. What I have trouble with most is understanding other people's descriptions of symptoms, such as 'heartburn'... I recently learned what causes this, acid in the stomach entering the oesophagus, but it doesn't have anything to do with the heart. And things like a 'tight chest'... what does that mean? So if my doctor asks me if I have this symptom, I don't know, because I don't undertand what it means. I often experience things in a different way, or the way that I would describe the sensation is different to how the doctor describes it.

Exactly.

Also what we've written down has to make sense to/be correctly understood by the doctor....that doesn't always happen for me.

Exactly! I have never understood why this was so difficult for me before. Everyone's input has helped a lot! Thanks.

I have trouble describing the "type" of pain when something hurts. My neck hurts and they ask what kind of pain is it, and I have no clue what to say and then they give me options and then I pick one it sounds like maybe it is.

New Threads

Top Bottom