• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Podcast - The Loudest Girl in the World

Nervous Rex

High-functioning autistic
V.I.P Member
I just discovered this podcast: The Loudest Girl in the World.

It's about a woman who works in radio, podcasts, broadcasting, etc. She has just discovered that she is autistic and so naturally, she made a podcast about it.

I have only listened to one episode so far, but I like it. It appears to be mostly about her journey of self-discovery. There were a few things that resonated with me, like when she didn't understand why she was being punished for just being herself, so she internalized the idea that she was "bad".

Another was her list of rules for getting by in social gatherings - don't talk about your own interests too much, remember to make eye contact, etc.

If I get the time to listen to more episodes, I'll add my commentary or thoughts here.

The title made me laugh, thinking that it was it meant: talking very loud and making me feel not so bad, as I, sadly, can talk very loud too!

Yes, I learned early on, that to talk about what interests me, does not bode well with me and thus, forced myself away from that and eye contact? Only when I discovered aspergers, did I learn how to make eye contact and do pretty well now, as long as the talker is not boring ( sorry, but some can be boring to listen to - me included).

I finished the main podcast this week. The first 9 episodes are about Lauren Ober's experience with getting diagnosed and making sense of things after the diagnosis. I suppose that's all anyone can do - tell their own story.

Episodes 10 and 11 highlight the life of another autistic person. They don't really relate to the first 9 episodes. I think they're trying to figure out what to do next.

There were a few things that resonated with me - such as when she mentions how exhausting it is to mask all day long, and how she describes a meltdown as "when we are so overwhelmed that we drop all of our masking techniques." That was an "Omigosh, yes!" moment for me.

There was one episode, "Autism Pleasantville" that described her ideal world, in great detail. It felt like a waste of time to me and had some character voices that I found annoying, but I can see how it could help others understand her mind.

Overall I liked the podcast.

New Threads

Top Bottom