• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism: Nature, or nurture?

BiKuo_Hao

I must say I am not an expert on biology or philosophy for that matter.

First, to answer the nature or nurture debate from a radical point of view: it is always nurture, no matter what. What is called "human nature", is the result of something else, because humans did not exist 10 millions years ago. Their existence comes from preexisting law of physics that were "left to work", creating new "pseudo laws of nature" from their interaction. Problem: how to reconcile this with quantum physics and the existence of random happenstances, meaning some pseudo laws would emerge at random, meaning you couldn't really deduce them from preexisting laws?
The answer I found: If you had infinite calculating capabilities, even if there are random happenstances, this randomness is still bound to some rules. You would be able to calculate every way fundamental laws could interact with one another, even if they could interact at random, you should be able to know when they can act at random. You could make the list of every possibility, and whatever happens in reality already exists in this list of possibilities.

We must take into account that "nature" is a spectrum, that "freedom" is a spectrum, etc. So, "Are humans programmed to have some behaviour at birth?"
Therefore raising the question: are you born autistic, or do you become autistic? You can replace autism with anything: are you born mentally ill, or do you become mentally ill? Are you not born mentally ill, but with a predisposition to it? Are you born with no predisposition, but become autistic because of environment?
I could say "You obey rules of physics, you're a result of rules of physics. Your behaviour is a result of rules of physics, you have no choice in the matter. "
The prevalence of behaviour in time is a mere matter of stability based on physical constraints.

Mind is software. When you're born, your brain is not empty.
If we had empty brains at birth, we would not be able to learn anything. It is the result of a particular structure of matter, our neural cells, who are computing thanks to the input given by the other cells. In the act of learning, your cells are told how to store information (by changing the structure of your brain), and what information to store. So, to some extent, yes you are programmed at birth, otherwise you'd be like pebble.
In that mindset, three ways for autism (or any mental illness) to emerge.
First : You are born with a particular brain structure that will make you think autistic, and when you will develop your behaviour (remember it is algorithmic), you will only consider autistic solutions to issues, like how to behave socially. Being autistic is a way to look at reality pre-determined by the code you were born with at birth that survived, and how the hell can autism exist if it's a handicap, it can be for various reasons : randomness (there are some "defects of evolution"), advantages of autism that compensate its disadvantages or the genes coding for autism also coding for something such as higher resistance to illness or whatever other explanation evolution theory can come up with.
Second : You aren't born autistic. By pure happenstance (environment), your brain will pick up "autistic solutions" to problems. Such as, "When around people, avoid them." (Having to deal with them consumes resources, you need to think on it, which can be considered as a burden). Or, it can be taught, by imitating others and it will "crystallize" into your sense of self.
Third: You are born with a bias towards autism, and it will be crystallized into your sense of self and behaviour with decrease in brain's plasticity. Environment can make you develop it faster. If brought up in the right environment, you could be normal, and only extreme environmental changes or a shattering of your sense of self can change it.
Quantifying the link between autism and genes is hard. We would have to find a few hundreds children of autistic parents who were raised by non-autistic parents. Could be interesting...

I wrote enough for now. I would like some insight from people who suffer from autism: what do you think caused autism for you? Edit :
When did you understand you were autistic? Can you remember times you didn't have any issues with it ?
And, if somebody finds faults in my reasoning, I'd like them pointed out, thanks.

Last edited:
I have to say, if I fell out of a plane, aged 3, into a jungle, and was raised by Baboons I sincerely believe I would still hate Mimes. So I lean towards the nature side of things.

Autism alone, nature.
Severe co-morbids, nurture (via preventable CNS injury, in most cases)
I socialized just fine when I was younger, and my autism only became apparent when I got older. And, it's after I isolated myself from other people because I got angry at them (which is a random happenstance...) that I began to have issues. That's why I think it could be nurture, considering social skills get harder to learn the older you get you can get outdistanced quickly...

Thanks for your dogmatic insight. Not very helpful to my understanding of things though. Some explanation of why you think autism comes from nature would be welcomed, and your trolling Tom doesn't help me. I'm not trying to make a vote "Who thinks it's nature who thinks it's nurture".

Some explanation of why you think autism is nature would be welcomed,...
  1. Nerds beget nerds.
  2. LFAs have Aspie family histories, but not (normally) LFA family histories.
  3. There was a new drug component introduced in the 1980s that coincides with the rise in Millennial LFAs. [Detailed discussion not allowed in open forum, PM me if interested].

Well, I guess I can not help you. While I have been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (a form of autism), I do not suffer with it. I like being autistic. If I was not autistic, I would in all likelihood be just like everyone else. Another brick in the wall, so to speak. Also, I am not handicapped in any way. In my adult life, I have never had any help of any kind. I have never even been on unemployment. The only time that I have been unemployed has been when I wanted to be.

I have been like I am for as long as I can remember. Based on my research, I believe that I was born with autism as opposed to getting it later in life. Keep in mind that autism is a neurological condition, not a psychological condition and therefore not a mental illness.

I am not a expert on any of this, but I believe what I wrote to be true.

I must say I am not an expert on biology or philosophy for that matter.

First, to answer the nature or nurture debate from a radical point of view: it is always nurture, no matter what. What is called "human nature", is the result of something else, because humans did not exist 10 millions years ago. Their existence comes from preexisting law of physics that were "left to work", creating new "pseudo laws of nature" from their interaction. Problem: how to reconcile this with quantum physics and the existence of random happenstances, meaning some pseudo laws would emerge at random, meaning you couldn't really deduce them from preexisting laws?
The answer I found: If you had infinite calculating capabilities, even if there are random happenstances, this randomness is still bound to some rules. You would be able to calculate every way fundamental laws could interact with one another, even if they could interact at random, you should be able to know when they can act at random. You could make the list of every possibility, and whatever happens in reality already exists in this list of possibilities.

We must take into account that "nature" is a spectrum, that "freedom" is a spectrum, etc. So, "Are humans programmed to have some behaviour at birth?"
Therefore raising the question: are you born autistic, or do you become autistic? You can replace autism with anything: are you born mentally ill, or do you become mentally ill? Are you not born mentally ill, but with a predisposition to it? Are you born with no predisposition, but become autistic because of environment?
I could say "You obey rules of physics, you're a result of rules of physics. Your behaviour is a result of rules of physics, you have no choice in the matter. "
The prevalence of behaviour in time is a mere matter of stability based on physical constraints.

Mind is software. When you're born, your brain is not empty.
If we had empty brains at birth, we would not be able to learn anything. It is the result of a particular structure of matter, our neural cells, who are computing thanks to the input given by the other cells. In the act of learning, your cells are told how to store information (by changing the structure of your brain), and what information to store. So, to some extent, yes you are programmed at birth, otherwise you'd be like pebble.
In that mindset, three ways for autism (or any mental illness) to emerge.
First : You are born with a particular brain structure that will make you think autistic, and when you will develop your behaviour (remember it is algorithmic), you will only consider autistic solutions to issues, like how to behave socially. Being autistic is a way to look at reality pre-determined by the code you were born with at birth that survived, and how the hell can autism exist if it's a handicap, it can be for various reasons : randomness (there are some "defects of evolution"), advantages of autism that compensate its disadvantages or the genes coding for autism also coding for something such as higher resistance to illness or whatever other explanation evolution theory can come up with.
Second : You aren't born autistic. By pure happenstance (environment), your brain will pick up "autistic solutions" to problems. Such as, "When around people, avoid them." (Having to deal with them consumes resources, you need to think on it, which can be considered as a burden). Or, it can be taught, by imitating others and it will "crystallize" into your sense of self.
Third: You are born with a bias towards autism, and it will be crystallized into your sense of self and behaviour with decrease in brain's plasticity. Environment can make you develop it faster. If brought up in the right environment, you could be normal, and only extreme environmental changes or a shattering of your sense of self can change it.
Quantifying the link between autism and genes is hard. We would have to find a few hundreds children of autistic parents who were raised by non-autistic parents. Could be interesting...

I wrote enough for now. I would like some insight from people who suffer from autism: what do you think caused autism for you?
And, if somebody finds faults in my reasoning, I'd like them pointed out, thanks.

Can you define "normal" for me please?

"Normal" as in, without any particular bias in how you will settle matters. You will neither avoid social interaction, nor seek it out.

I subscribe to the neurodiversity approach that argues diverse neurological conditions are a result of normal variations in the human genome. I am not damaged goods.

Also, I don't think the post by @Tom was intended to be trolling. I thought it was a creative way of addressing the topic. Thanks for the chuckle, @Tom.

I subscribe to the neurodiversity approach that argues diverse neurological conditions are a result of normal variations in the human genome. I am not damaged goods.

Also, I don't think the post by @Tom was intended to be trolling. I thought it was a creative way of addressing the topic. Thanks for the chuckle, @Tom.

I also subscribe to the neurodiversity approach which explains well why natural selection didn't weed out autism (IF it comes primarily from genetics), I had to give the different explanations that were possible, which does not mean I don't have a favourite. I don't want people to be emotional, what matters most is the truth.

Don't forget that I explain that autism could be a way of adapting to the environment in my nurture argument.

Last edited:
Could it be possible that if natural selection hasn't weeded out autism, it's serving a purpose in evolution?

Could it be possible that if natural selection hasn't weeded out autism, it's serving a purpose in evolution?
Yes, it is possible. But, we can't be sure. Genetics diseases keep appearing regardless of the fact people who have it tend to die younger. Maybe autism doesn't have any purpose, and simply keeps appearing (because of mutations, crossing over...) Or alleles that code for autism also code for other useful things, which means autism would still be a disadvantage but compensated by other advantages. That's all explained in my post, I think.
Which was why I'm interested into your insight.
"When did you understand you were autistic ? Do you think something triggered it?"

Last edited:
Timelines and triggers. I didn't even know I could be on the spectrum until in my mid fifties. Yet my parents noticed things when I was a toddler.

Yet my most pronounced traits and behaviors evolved slowly but gradually and "went off a cliff" around the age of nine. When my I began to have so many problems with my own peers. But was it a "trigger" involved or just another series of autistic events? I just don't know.

Personally I'm inclined to lean towards being autistic at birth based on genetic considerations, though I still suspect environmental factors can potentially influence one's autism. Tough question with so many things to consider in my own case. :confused:

Last edited:
As I understand it, to get a diagnosis of autism it cannot be something that just appeared in adulthood. However, life gets more difficult as we get older. Jobs, relationships, study, financial concerns etc. all accumulate to make any possible areas of difficulty more pronounced. Life is much simpler for children.
However I think environmental factors heavily influence one's ability to cope with life in general, regardless of whether you're on the spectrum or not.

1. Nerds beget nerds.
  2. LFAs have Aspie family histories, but not (normally) LFA family histories.
  3. There was a new drug component introduced in the 1980s that coincides with the rise in Millennial LFAs. [Detailed discussion not allowed in open forum, PM me if interested].
What is an LFA?

@Fitzo, thanks for telling me this, it would explain how to differentiate between autism and socially awkward.
And by the way, thanks @Judge for your insight. Alone it will only be anecdotal, but if I speak to enough people that should get me a good insight.

Thanks for your dogmatic insight. Not very helpful to my understanding of things though. Some explanation of why you think autism comes from nature would be welcomed, and your trolling Tom doesn't help me. I'm not trying to make a vote "Who thinks it's nature who thinks it's nurture".

Crossbreed had a good point, actually.

Social stuff isnt just simpler during childhood, it's VERY DRAMATICALLY simpler. As in, so different that there isnt even a true comparison there.

As you become an adult, things complicate exponentially. All these bazillions of things that didnt matter worth a crap when you were a kid... provided you even knew about them (and you probably didnt) suddenly not only matter, but are required. And then you're just supposed to magically know other things... and so on. However, as an autistic, if you were at all like me (as I was also just fine as a child, to a point) you end up "stuck" in that childhood mentality in a way. The finer points of ADULT socialization are bloody baffling to you. So much of it makes no sense, so much of it seems frivolous, and you wonder why everyone acts like a damn fool all the time. It simply goes over your head. At least, all of the stuff that is past that boundary point (the point where understanding ends and confusion begins) does. The simpler things, you can still grasp.

It's not that autism just suddenly manifested itself when you hit adulthood, in the case I describe: It was always there. It's that, when you hit that point, the social requirements/complexities went past the boundary for you. That's how it was for me anyway.

Unfortunately, it's common with autism that becoming older makes things MORE difficult as more and more complications appear. So there are definitely some of us who do "okay" as children (for a given value of okay) yet once we hit a certain age... stuff starts to go wrong. Maybe slowly, maybe all at once.

And of course there are those that have it real bad right from the start.

That's the funky thing with autism... it comes in so many different flavors and produces a large variety of effects. I suspect that's most of why everyone finds it so hard to classify.

Me, I dont actually care too much where it comes from or how it got there. All I need to know is... I have it. And then I just need to understand how to deal with it.

But still, that's my general thoughts on the whole thing anyway. It at least makes for an interesting mental excersize even if I dont actually consider it very important.

New Threads

Top Bottom