• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Life Coach ?

Justin Scarpulla

My situation is a little complicated. All throughout my life I have had a history of being unable to keep a job, and this has spiraled out of control to the point that I am unable to even get a job anymore. I have been looking for a little over a year now, and I have had many disheartening experiences. There have been months where I have found no openings at all, times where I have not heard back after applying, times where my application and/or interview was rejected, and once where I even got the job, but the company called me back to tell me they couldn't hire me anymore due to company layoffs.

I am currently employed at a tutoring center and have been for two years, however recently I have not been working because I have been attending an IOP (Intense Outpatient Program, for therapy). This is most definitely a side job, and it is not capable of providing me with a livable income, which is what I am looking for and in need of (the job only provides about $250 a month).

Due to these circumstances, the likelihood of being accepted for SSI or SSDI (disability aid) is slim-to-none (the attorneys that I spoke with told me so after I explained to them what is written above). I was wondering if there was some type of life coach or employment sponsor or something (specifically for Autistic people) that could basically place me in a job, because at this point I am on my last straw for giving up on finding a job, and giving up on life in general.

Thank you for any & all feedback, and thanks for reading this post, if you made it to the end.

Sorry to hear this. Jobs are extremely difficult. l kept applying and applying. l wanted to give up so many times. Can you do a tiny bit of volunteer work? l actually was hired that way. Keep us posted. Maybe start a job search diary. I went to resource center and applied. l had one guy tell me a 1000 people applied for several jobs. That really surprised me.

My situation is a little complicated. All throughout my life I have had a history of being unable to keep a job, and this has spiraled out of control to the point that I am unable to even get a job anymore. I have been looking for a little over a year now, and I have had many disheartening experiences. There have been months where I have found no openings at all, times where I have not heard back after applying, times where my application and/or interview was rejected, and once where I even got the job, but the company called me back to tell me they couldn't hire me anymore due to company layoffs.

I am currently employed at a tutoring center and have been for two years, however recently I have not been working because I have been attending an IOP (Intense Outpatient Program, for therapy). This is most definitely a side job, and it is not capable of providing me with a livable income, which is what I am looking for and in need of (the job only provides about $250 a month).

Due to these circumstances, the likelihood of being accepted for SSI or SSDI (disability aid) is slim-to-none (the attorneys that I spoke with told me so after I explained to them what is written above). I was wondering if there was some type of life coach or employment sponsor or something (specifically for Autistic people) that could basically place me in a job, because at this point I am on my last straw for giving up on finding a job, and giving up on life in general.

Thank you for any & all feedback, and thanks for reading this post, if you made it to the end.

What are your passions and obsessions? What "NT world" limitations do you have? (sensory and otherwise)

I am fortunate to have landed in high tech where aspie qualities are regarded highly (although I may not have those specific aspie qualities :) )

Are you in the US? If you're willing to tell us what state/region as well, there might be some state specific organizations that would refer you to look into. What are your job related interests? What is your academic background? These things could help us offer you some viable suggestions if you're comfortable sharing.

To add to some of the questions, are you open to and able to relocate? Some areas offer more services and programs than others.

New Threads

Top Bottom