• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism insurance bill passes MS House

Geordie

Geordie
Legislation mandating insurance coverage for autism therapies passed the full House floor on Tuesday, an unprecedented step for a state that has previously rejected such bills despite the skyrocketing rate of autism.

“I’m unbelievably relieved and excited at how much this will help so many families in Mississippi,” said Ripley resident Quess Hood, whose 6-year-old son has autism. “I hope the lieutenant governor will take this up.”

The bill now heads to the Senate, where Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves will refer it to one or more committees that will have until March 4 to pass it.

It would then head to the full Senate floor for a vote no later than March 12.

Reeves said the “Senate will consider the policy and review the financial implications of House Bill 542 once it is received from the House.”

House Bill 542 requires the State and Schools Employee Health Insurance Plan to cover diagnosis and treatment of autism, a disorder that impairs communication and socialization and also results in repetitive behaviors and restricted interests.

The bill was amended prior to passage with the addition of one statement. It restricts coverage to “generally accepted medical treatments” and those which have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

“As long as everybody understands that it doesn’t have to be approved by the FDA and be generally accepted, that it’s either-or, that’s fine,” said Lorri Unumb, vice president of state government affairs for Autism Speaks.

The national autism advocacy organization supports the Mississippi bill.

“We don’t want insurance companies to be forced to cover things that aren’t generally accepted standards of care,” said Unumb. “We want to be treated like every other condition so that the things that are standard process are covered but not special treatment such as swimming with dolphins.”

This is now the longest-surviving legislation of its kind in the eight consecutive years lawmakers have introduced autism insurance bills. Others have died in committee.

Note: In Singapore, where I live, I do not recall we have an autism insurance bill. Yet, in the context of ADA and other laws, it would be backwards if states do not cover diagnoses and intervention for autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom