• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism in the Workplace SURVEY (employees)

holly0102

Hi. I am a 19 year old student currently doing an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) on autistic employees in the workplace. It should result in a 5,000 word essay entitled “Are employers doing enough to support employees with autism spectrum disorders?”. I have created a short questionnaire (5 - 10 mins) as a part of my research that is aimed at anyone who employs people with autism or works with autistic colleagues, or is an employee that has autism. If this applies to you I would be so grateful if you could spare a few minutes to complete it. Any other information about support for autistic employees in different workplaces would also be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Link to survey:
Autism in the workplace

Seems to be written for management rather than workers but you did a good job.
Thanks for the feedback! I can see how it comes across that way as I am writing more from an employers point of view and what they can be doing to make the workplace a better environment, but I am interested in responses from employees too as employers may not be 100% honest or may not know completely what employees go through in their workplace.

This would be for those who have disclosed their diagnosis, it sounds like?
Yes, as I am writing about the changes that can be made in a workplace to support those with autism, although I can take into account those who have not disclosed it or those who may be undiagnosed.

Here is the problem that I have experienced:
----
Job coaches through ovr [office of vocational rehab. Called other things in other states, is supposed to help us find jobs and then offer supportive employment]

...those job coaches are ill-prepared to deal with my social anxiety and autistic issues.

The ovr wants to shove us into any job around, even when that job is grossly unfit for us [I reverse numbers. So they got me a job typing up spreadsheets with billing prices, a lot of billing prices. Who paid what, how much they owe...fortunately, ovr failed to get their paperwork in on time. That job fell through].

They got a job in a supermarket for someone I know with Prader-Willy Syndrome.

---
The ovr workers in my state are not familiar with autistic adults-- except through the lens of Auti$m $peaks. They push person first lingo.

My state PAYS for autistic kids to be sent to the Judge Rotenberg Center. JRC is the hellhole where autistic kids are forced to carry around day packs that enable the staff to shock them for breaking the various petty rules.

---
I am very fortunate with my workplace.

Other workplaces not so much.

---

This is USA only.
---
Some workplaces will grant accommodations for a little bit and then gradually forget about it.

When asking for accommodations in the. workplace, a dialogue happens between us and a member of human resources. HR is not there for the benefit of the worker. HR is there to avoid negative publicity and lawsuits for the company.

The open office grab a desk in whatever project you are working on at the moment concept does not work for most of us.

Many work places are physical assaults on our senses-- glare, noise, fluorescent lights, phones ringing...etc.

After all these years, I still don't get office politics. I have just recently began to understand the concept of team. I was on one "team" where if I did not do the paperwork, it did not get done. The manager did not care who did it and no one else would.

What does socializing in a bar have to do with working relationships? I question the hyper-socialization exhibited by some NTs in the workplace.

Other staff people have the concept of "my relative is a person with autism. You do not resemble them." And high functioning labels.

Stimming is autistic body language. Very few places will accept someone stimming, even when the stim is quiet and sanitary.

Thanks to popular media "autistics do not mind doing repetitive work/brain numbing tasks" we are often given the work that no one else wants.

Bullying in the workplace-- both subtle and obvious-- is a thing.

---
The older I get, the less willing I am to just "sck it up buttercup."

Do look at blogs of #actuallyautistic people for other examples of workplace h*ll.

---
My current workplace accommodates everyone, no questions asked or required notes. And when we don't know what we need, the bosses help us to figure it out.

My workplace helps autistics and others. That is why it also helps its workers.

Thanks for this. I've long advocated for more inclusion for people with Autism in the workplace, not just for me but others with disabilities. We have so much to offer and prove, we just need to be given a chance.

I've worked with a job coach for 4 years and have steadily been employed for the last 6 years, but was released from a job after 6 months. My job coach suggested that I not tell employers about my mental health status as it could impact my employment...

So when i go in for a job interview or make a call to a Hiring department i specifically ask for my Job coach to be there for me physically or outside ( it makes it easier for me to do the. Job related tasks... They essentially just sit there ) but not actually call or talk to them.

In other words employers are not specifically helping the disability community and i don't necessarily think that they should be... We aren't helpless. You should be pushing your self.

I work at a well known California University. Diversity and tolerance are shoved down our throats every day. But, the truth is, it's a very narrow and selective diversity and tolerance who's boundaries are gender, sexism, racism and correct political affiliation. Diversity and tolerance that involve Disabilities, Aspergers, HFA and Autism are completely ignored because they don't fit the higher ed agenda.

New Threads

Top Bottom