• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism genes conserved during human evolution to make us smarter, say scientists

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me)

Scientists study more than 5,000 cases of autism spectrum disorder and conduct an analysis of evolutionary gene selection

Autism genes may have been conserved during human evolution because they make us smarter, say scientists.

More inherited genetic variants linked to autism have been naturally selected than would be expected by chance, a study has shown.

The same variants were associated with traits linked to brain performance, such as molecular functions involved in the creation of new neurons.

Lead researcher Dr Renato Polimanti, from Yale School of Medicine in the US, said: “We found a strong positive signal that, along with autism spectrum disorder, these variants are also associated with intellectual achievement.”

Under the laws of natural selection outlined by Charles Darwin, evolutionary variants that have a negative impact on reproductive success are quickly eliminated from a population.

But those providing a better chance of survival tend to remain for generation after generation, if their advantages outweigh their adverse effects.

Study co-author Professor Joel Gelernter, from Yale University, said: “It might be difficult to imagine why the large number of gene variants that together give rise to traits like ASD (autism spectrum disorder) are retained in human populations.

“Why aren't they just eliminated by evolution?.

“The idea is that during evolution these variants that have positive effects on cognitive function were selected, but at a cost - in this case an increased risk of autism spectrum disorders."

The scientists, whose findings are published in the journal Public Library of Science Genetics, studied more than 5,000 cases of ASD and conducted an analysis of evolutionary gene selection.

Source: Autism genes ‘conserved during human evolution to make us smarter’

(Not written by me)

Duly noted. I am not flaming you, but the article writer and website in an attempt to stop the spread of nonsense. (no offense intended)

The title of the article: Autism genes conserved during human evolution to make us smarter, say scientists

“The idea is that during evolution these variants that have positive effects on cognitive function were selected, but at a cost - in this case an increased risk of autism spectrum disorders."

Not as catchy as the title. So... autism is an unwanted outcome of being smarter not the cause, it seems.

Autism genes conserved during human evolution to make us smarter, say scientists

I dabbled in blackhat internet marketing. I checked the back-links to the article and they are obviously the outcome of using either a back-link bot or paid links, that No respectable publication would use or allow. They are poor quality and do not even relate to the article.

More inherited genetic variants linked to autism have been naturally selected than would be expected by chance, a study has shown

Uh... what study would that be? No link to source material, shaking my head.

I'm not saying the article is false but considering the "facts", I wouldn't pass it on to friends.

I would tell them about the 2nd law of thermodynamics.:p

Please forgive typos and grammatical errors. Anyhow, always consider the source, and keep your stick on the ice.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom