• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Doesn't Stop Woman from Becoming a Lawyer

My daughter hung with boys and played Pokemon games, then girls. Reading this reminded me of my daughter. She was never diagnosed, she is very centered and can do extremely detailed tasks, desktop publishing, sewing detail corsets with 50 stays, writing reports that require hours of research. She has excellent writing skills. The best thing l did was homeschool her, then she jumped into public high school but it was too slow for her. I found a performing arts high school, and l think that helped her deal with a lot of social issues, it definitely caused some grief because she was unaccustomed to soical interactions with a bunch of teens, but l also think it gave her a raw slice of life and it was a life experience where she engaged as other teens and not as a Asperger child. So basically l saw her as normal because l thought she was like me in the concentration dept. People may disagree with how l raised her, but l chose not to try to label or have her diagnosed but to try to just live life.

@LucyPurrs Thanks so much. Her life was threatened by a 1st grader boy, and now l am thankful, because the school system where we were at would have dumbed her into a perfect wife/work robot, and l want her to feel some independence in her lifetime. She also is multiethnic which can come with it's own set of issues. Her father was from Hawaii. Sadly, due to a horrendous divorce, she choses not too contact me, but l understand she is in a longterm serioud relationship , so l see that as a giant success for her, (meaning she's not married and pregnant in her twenties)

Yet another example of how diverse the Neurodiverse can be even among their own population.

That Haley Moss excels at public speaking to large groups of people. Something imperative for any trial lawyer in presenting a case in open court. Testifying as a witness in court or in depositions always gave me fits!

It's amazing how far she went. l worked as paralegal and just loved the detailed work, l actually loved pouring over legal jargon everyday. l really wonder how my daughter's life would have changed with a diagnosis. She actually became super depressed after l left, and brought her self to a mental health professional. But she is no longer on antidepressants.

My eldest daughter is in her final year of a law degree.
(And holds down a job as a manager,
And just bought her first home)

The young woman is a legend.

I think she’s going into ‘contracts’ - whatever that’s called.

Her fiancé is an architect, she wants to sort out the contracts/ legalities around what he does. Teamwork :)

(... or work for a massive company in the legal dept.)

She enjoys what she doing.

Her fiancé is an architect, she wants to sort out the contracts/ legalities around what he does. Teamwork :)

You did a fantastic job, hats off to yiu.

My daughter survived extreme gaslighting in her childhood, l feel she is a success story.

If my ex hadn't been such a con, my daughter's education would have been paid for , like his mom paid for his medical MD education. l would have helped, instead he chose to rip me of off my money, and he is locked into perm alimony, (teamwork, lol, female attorney)

You did a fantastic job, hats off to yiu.

My daughter survived extreme gaslighting in her childhood, l feel she is a success story.

I’d agree wholeheartedly with that @Aspychata.
Your daughter would be someone I could easily admire because of what she’s been through, and won.

I used to speak to a woman who took ten years to complete a qualification she started.

She’d experience bouts of depression and anxiety and have to postpone studying until she felt well enough to cope with it again.

Ten years later she had something to do with advocacy for those with disabilities.

She wouldn’t give up because she wanted to help those that needed help.

I admired her tenacity.

As woman, we need a extra dose of it, tenacity. l am not sure about tenacity in my particular case, but l have the ability to win what struggle l go
I used to speak to a woman who took ten years to complete a qualification she started.

She’d experience bouts of depression and anxiety and have to postpone studying until she felt well enough to cope with it again.

Ten years later she had something to do with advocacy for those with disabilities.

She wouldn’t give up because she wanted to help those that needed help.

I admired her tenacity.

Yes, l have to say after waking up with a man l hated being with for years at time, l find personal freedom so refreshing. l am shocked that a lot of older men think l am just looking to get married again. l was so bored in my marriage, then when he turned down right abusive, l swore l would never give up my freedom again as soon as l was divorced. Where l live now, many men are just looking for personal slaves. l am thankful to work 6 days a week.

I saw this article in the newspaper. I have a friend who is both autistic and an attorney in our home town. I think I'm the only attorney who knows she is ASD. She is also a single mother with 3 autistic children so her life is busy. Her practice is narrow in scope so she is not trying to cover all types of cases. She focuses on what she does best and she knows the law inside and out in that particular area. Because she is so good at the type of cases she handles, she has built a good reputation and other attorneys refer clients to her for her particular expertise.

I'm a retired attorney, NT, and have always thought that law could be a good fit for people on the spectrum. My mind flow charts everything - if A happens, then B and C could or will follow, etc - because that is pretty much how attorneys analyze cases. Truthfully, we don't even assign names to people when we are thinking about cases. We just think in terms of "husband" and "wife", or "driver 1" and "driver 2", or "drug maker" and "patient", or "insurer" and "insured". Good attorneys are very objective, detailed thinkers and aspies are often very good at that.

If I were still practicing law, I'd ask Judge to come work for me. He's got the mindset, too. :cool:

Awesome story, once again when given the chance and when we have our own ambition there's nothing we can't do. Thanks for sharing.

Why would Autism be a problem for that? I suppose to MSN and mainstream media Autistic means you are incapable of doing anything except demanding k-mart boxershorts and 11 o clock lights out.

Becoming a lawyer is pretty easy. I mean Chemistry was too hard for her and that's already easy.

Why would Autism be a problem for that? I suppose to MSN and mainstream media Autistic means you are incapable of doing anything except demanding k-mart boxershorts and 11 o clock lights out.

Becoming a lawyer is pretty easy. I mean Chemistry was too hard for her and that's already easy.

Are you a chemist or an attorney? Just wondering about your education, background and experience to support your comment.

Becoming an attorney is not easy. It takes 4 years of undergraduate school, followed by 3 years of law school to obtain a juris doctorate degree. Then one must pass a 3 day bar examination. There were 5 medical doctors in my law school class, all of whom said that law is much more difficult than medical school because med school is basically rote memorization whereas law school requires one to think and analyze facts and law.

The practice of law is one of the - if not the most - stressful of all professions. I think that is why there are few people on the spectrum who practice law. Everything is deadline driven. If you miss a deadline, then you may have committed malpractice, subjecting yourself to a malpractice lawsuit by your client and disciplinary action by the state bar association. You must be proficient in the laws that govern every type of case you handle which means you must research and determine what the law is. There is no one to tell you, you must figure it out for yourself, and an important part of law school is learning how to categorize facts so that you know which laws apply.

This young woman's choice of contract law is probably a good fit for her.

Failing exams says nothing. I have a crappy low level education and it's failed by like 25% as well. Look at the different rates of failing among the Universities in the quoted article. Is Law harder in one University than another? I think a far bigger factor is the difference in the students.

So no, I am not a Chemist or Attorney but who cares. Education means nothing, especially when you talk about the large amount of fluffer studies. I'd be impressed with Medicine, Cell biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and most Engineering degrees. I've seen what the more advanced levels of those are about and it's enough to make me go like "Wow I'd actually have to put in a lot of time to understand this".

Law is just a fluffer study, it doesn't deal with the studying of any fundamental facts of our reality, just with a bunch of nonsense made up by people. And it shows. Law is studied by people that can't even understand college level Chemistry.

Failing exams says nothing. I have a crappy low level education and it's failed by like 25% as well. Look at the different rates of failing among the Universities in the quoted article. Is Law harder in one University than another? I think a far bigger factor is the difference in the students.

So no, I am not a Chemist or Attorney but who cares. Education means nothing, especially when you talk about the large amount of fluffer studies. I'd be impressed with Medicine, Cell biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics and most Engineering degrees. I've seen what the more advanced levels of those are about and it's enough to make me go like "Wow I'd actually have to put in a lot of time to understand this".

Law is just a fluffer study, it doesn't deal with the studying of any fundamental facts of our reality, just with a bunch of nonsense made up by people. And it shows. Law is studied by people that can't even understand college level Chemistry.

Law involves logic, interrupting laws and then you need to think of a excellent strategy that will help you win the case. Cognitive skills are very important, you can't just pull out a caculator and get the answers, or look in a medical book and find the dx. l have worked in huge law firms, these are very sharp lawyers.

New Threads

Top Bottom