• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism connection to being a possible carrier of nuerological disorders

I have non-syndromal autism.Some of these neurological disorders have nothing to do with autism, but from my research, based on my ancestry and how common some of these disorders are, I might be a possible carrier for serious neurological disorders, including the following (tough some have nothing to do with autism):
Tay Sachs disease
Sandhoff disease
Lafora disease
Fragile X Syndrome
Syndromal Autism (although I have non-syndromal autism, I still considered myself to be a possible carrier for syndromal autism, since autism is very common and rates are soaring quickly)
Muscular dystropy
Are there any connections between autism and any of these conditions listed above?

50% of the people in my family have a rare neurological disease called spinocerebellar ataxia. 50% have red hair. 50% are female. These things don't have anything to do with each other. Having one doesn't mean you are any more or less likely to have another.

A few years ago there was a study that showed that people with bi-polar disorder, depression, ADHD, schizophrenia, and autism all had a particular gene mutation, and all these conditions tend to show up in families. All of these diagnoses are actually my family, so I can believe it. You can look at it one way and say a gene mutation makes you more likely to "develop" certain conditions, or you can say that the gene mutation is the condition and it just looks different in different people. For example, the color blue looks different when you call it navy, turquoise, sky blue, etc.

What is non-syndromal autism? Why do you think you are a carrier of those disorders?

New Threads

Top Bottom