• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Awareness Day 2021

Well, considering blue's often associated with the hate-group Autism $peaks, no, I will not be wearing Blue.

It only gives them more attention and they need to be taken down like Yesterday.

Not to mention these kinds of days are ridiculous. Yes, we're here. Yes, we exist. There's no need to have a day that says that.

If you still want to support your fellow Autistics in the community however without giving attention to said group, I highly recommend giving a few bucks to ASAN (Autistic Self Advocacy Network) and/or AWNN (Donate to AWN - Autistic Women & Nonbinary Network (AWN))

Looked it up, did not think it would've come from Qatar. Not a place you think of as rights-friendly, but not a people-pleaser either.

This is me wearing Blue!
167921849_3721852531259084_4562763712991575702_n.jpg

Today? I did wear a blue Pokemon shirt, by total coincidence. And my watch is blue. I don't really bother with those "Wear [color] to support [cause]!" days though. Can't be bothered.

I'm here, I'm (probably) autistic, and I am very aware of autism (especially around bright or flashing lights or unexpected loud noises).

Maybe it's just me, but I think autistic people need to be more active in public outreach and education. Like get on political shows and talk about how hard it is to find a job, systemic discrimination by personality tests, forced poverty, chronic unemployment etc.

IMO we need to attack this stuff like other minority groups have over the years.
Don't just sit around, throw your hands up and hope that it changes eventually. Make it happen! By autistic people for autistic people.

We are estimated to be roughly 2% of the population so that's way too big to ignore and exclude forever. That's 6.6 million people in the US alone.

Maybe it's just me, but I think autistic people need to be more active in public outreach and education. Like get on political shows and talk about how hard it is to find a job, systemic discrimination by personality tests, forced poverty, chronic unemployment etc.

Hell, even just getting people to realize "we don't disappear when we leave school, we're still here" would be a huge step.

The problem with these awareness days is people try to support groups with what they learn in a day. It's especially bad with us because our biggest advocacy group is literally a hate group.

New Threads

Top Bottom