• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism/AS - NT love, is it possible?

DreamEagle

Hi everyone. I'd like to share my experiences as a male with Autism with the opposite sex. Throughout my life, I've never been good with attracting the females that I want. At times, I find myself chasing after the wrong types of women without even knowing it until I think deeply about my connection with that prior person. I currently don't have the confidence to ask women out either, even if they look like they may be decent women. I guess what bottles me up are my past negative experiences with women, whether it is harsh looks, rejections, or even being used to kill time and not be sought for anything deeper than that. I have yet to meet a woman that would be willing to accept me for me, yet I also have the fear of disclosing my diagnosis to many people at the moment. Does anyone, whether male or female individual diagnosed with Autism or AS, have any positive experiences or advice for me to use to get in a better mind state to pursue dating women without fear?

Any stories or advice would be really appreciated.

It is quite possible that the difficulties you are encountering are not caused by having autism, but by how you see yourself. I know that for myself, anytime I tried to make a relationship it failed. We do not find Love, it finds us.
The best tool that you can use to find the most compatible partner is confidence. With it, we have the comfort to be our true selves and therefore have the best chance of meeting someone who sees us for who we truly are, and so can love us for who we truly are. I have had some great, and some unfortunate relationships.
Yes it is possible, and if you do it long enough, it is also likely.
Best wishes to you my friend
Peace

Thanks, Peace. Yeah it can be hard to trust others, especially when my experiences in pursuing the opposite sex don't always turn out to what I expect, but I try to keep an open mind about finding a good partner some day. I would prefer to meet a girl who can have a similar diagnosis as me, but a NT girl who would be understanding and accept me for me would be great too.

I'm 28 I've never had a girlfriend or been in a relationship and based on my experiences women only seem to be interested in and too only notice confident, outgoing and socially accepted males. I'm a quiet, polite and socially awkward person myself but I use to naively think that because I was a friendly albeit overpolite person I would eventually attract the interest of a female now I realize how wrong I was. If there is one thing I know about females (the only thing in fact) is that men being confident is important to them and from my observations throughout my life it doesn't necessarily matter to some women if the man they like is a good person or not so long as he has confidence. I've seen a lot of arrogant and unlikeable men in relationships with women because they have confidence and I've never seen a genuinely nice male like myself who has no social skills ever be successful with women.

I think its wrong that women place so much importance on men being confident when I know for a fact that a woman having confidence is not necessarily important to me. It certainly isn't to important to me but I've noticed that even women who lack confidence are attracted to the confident guys in fact I would say women without confidence are even more attracted to confident males!

Last edited:
I'm 28 I've never had a girlfriend or been in a relationship and based on my experiences women only seem to be interested in and too only notice confident, outgoing and socially accepted males. I'm a quiet, polite and socially awkward person myself but I use to naively think that because I was a friendly albeit overpolite person I would eventually attract the interest of a female now I realize how wrong I was. If there is one thing I know about females (the only thing in fact) is that men being confident is important to them and from my observations throughout my life it doesn't necessarily matter to some women if the man they like is a good person or not so long as he has confidence. I've seen a lot of arrogant and unlikeable men in relationships with women because they have confidence and I've never seen a genuinely nice male like myself who has no social skills ever be successful with women.

I think its wrong that women place so much importance on men being confident when I know for a fact that a woman having confidence is not necessarily important to me. It certainly isn't to important to me but I've noticed that even women who lack confidence are attracted to the confident guys in fact I would say women without confidence are even more attracted to confident males!
I must be different than the women you've known...I hate arrogance in guys, and I actually find a bit of shyness endearing in a guy. Unfortunately, the shy guys are the ones I am afraid to talk to.

Please don't start with this again. I can assure you there are lots of women who dislike arrogant, overbearing men and appreciate the quiet ones. At 28 years of age it's well past time to stop blaming women for your own problems and start doing something constructive about it. I don't know any women who would be attracted to your attitude and we have a tendency to keep away from men like that.

I accept that i have a problem with social situations. About a month ago I joined Meetup (Find Meetup groups near you - Meetup), found some groups in my area that interested me and started attending events. I've met some very interesting people and have been really pleased with my own performance in these settings. Last weekend at a photo scavenger hunt in a national park I met a man who is rather quiet and has social difficulties. We soon got separated from the rest of the group when we became engrossed in conversation. We chatted non-stop for 2.5 hours and at the end of it we exchanged phone numbers. We only realised we had a number of common interests because we got out of our respective comfort zones and made an effort to start up a conversation. This weekend we're going out for dinner and a movie.

Sometimes the guy who appears loud & arrogant truly is lacking in self-esteem & confidence. A quiet guy may be very sure of himself as a person: he just isn't gregarious. It takes time & some skills to determine whether or not a gregarious person is really confident or just loud or is over-compensating for something he feels he is lacking. Think back to your high school days (GROAN!). There was always that kid or group of kids who were loud & obnoxious (in some cases) who picked on kids they labelled as 'nerds' (un-cool, geeks or whatever). Many of these kids are themselves feeling terribly insecure & are 'hangers on' who are just glad they're not being picked on. What looks like confidence isn't always what it appears to be. What looks like shyness isn't always that either. I am quiet, very small & slight. Since I'm not chatty & usually have my face in a book, people assume I'm shy. Truth be told, I've never felt shy in my life!

People out there in the NT world live their lives behind a complex & baffling series of social masks meant to convey certain social messages or to conceal their true sentiments. It can be terribly hard for us literal 'what you see is what you get' Aspies. The danger with these surveys etc. that purport to explain 'what women (or men) want' in a partner are misleading. A certain type of person answers these surveys. THen, too, depending upon how the questions are posed, the answers can be very different. Age, ethnicity, education, affluence, religion, culture etc. all influence what people value in partners. A religious person typically wants a partner with not only the same religious affiliation BUT who is as devout a practitioner as s/he is. Then, there's the long list of individual personal preferences: some like 'em tall & skinny, others prefer curvier partners, some like blondes, others might prefer a partner with multiple piercings, a field of tattoos & a green Mohawk!

Depending upon the context n which the questionnaire was presented, the answers will vary widely. Ask a bunch of female students in professional programmes at an elite university who they see as a potential partner & you'll get different answers to the ones you'll get if you ask a bunch of models & actresses who they see themselves with. In short, there is definitely someone out there for you. There is. You may be looking in the wrong place, your expectations may be unrealistic & you may be making assumptions that are getting in your way.

I've also seen the sad spectacle of women who are in relationships with jerks. What often happens is that the guy seems very nice at first: they start dating & as the relationship becomes more serious, gradually his inner jerk emerges: what seemed like solicitous concern at first morphs into controlling-even bullying behaviour. His suggestion that you wear that blue dress he loves later becomes a guy who takes over her wardrobe- effectively turning her into a dress-up doll. Women in these relationships keep seeing glimpses of the guy they first fell for & began dating. These jerks can turn on just enough charm at the right times to keep a woman hooked. THen, out comes the jerk again. These women find themselves making excuses for the guy's boorish behaviour & explaining him away to friends & family. they can become gradually cut off from people they care about & the dance of abuse/apologizing/forgiveness/more abuse begins in earnest & they live in a shell-shocked state forever trying to appease & not irritate their jerk. Women DO NOT like these types of guys & seldom go in seeing them for what they truly are. They get trapped. I knew a woman who was ultimately killed by the 'confident' jerk she married. To the outside, he seemed gregarious, funny & a life of the party type. Those of us who were older & wiser pleaded with 'Mandy' to leave him. She was too scared. The day she finally packed her bag & made ready to leave, he came home early & killed her.

You can't tell what a woman likes based on who you see her with: she may like some aspects of the guy but other aspects make her cringe. She may have 'settled' for the guy you see her with out of a fear of being alone. She may have thought he was one thing but he turned out to be someone else entirely so be careful about making snap judgments.

I can't resist! :dance: Send me a private message if you want information for MEN only! Heck I should start charging Pirate internet bitcoins... ;P

Would be nice if I could use my own advice... :alien2: [edited in-Oh great, brussell sprouts...I'm talking to someone who probably isn't here anymore...I just checked his profile.]

Does anyone, whether male or female individual diagnosed with Autism or AS, have any positive experiences or advice for me to use to get in a better mind state to pursue dating women without fear?

Any stories or advice would be really appreciated.

Steve Irwin {Austalian accent}

"we're on the hunt for the female animal...there she is! Wow! Look at her shiny colors...her gleaming hair, sparkling eyes and the way she batters her eyelashes...sh! She sees us...ok move slowly...look how she hisses at us when we invade her space...it's ok girl, go easy... {picking her up} she's a beauty eh?! Now she's purring...and licking me face...let me put her down gently...it's ok hon, go on...you are free girl...oh she's going to follow me eh?

Krikey, how's me wife gonna take this...come on girl, get along, hey you! She's enticing me to run after her...to follow her to a nest she picked out ahead of time...cut the camera..."

Last edited by a moderator:

I've discovered through years of real life experience, experimentation, and research that it's true that nice guys finish last and that you must become the bad boy that women want in order to increase (or have) success with dating. This is unfortunate for those of us on the spectrum since we're built to be a certain way, and the way we were made tends to cause us to NATURALLY do all the wrong things to attract females.

I'm not going to get into the psychology of why women love bad boys or how you can change to become the type of guy who women want because tha will take way too much time to type out here and I'm not planning on spending a few days or weeks doing this. However, I will briefly say that ever since I've changed from being the quiet, shy, socially anxious ad awkward nice guy to the more charismatic, fun, adventurous talkative affectionate guy who does certain things like initiate physical contact within the first 30 seconds to 3 minutes of meeting a girl, my success rate with females have SKY-ROCKETED, BIG TIME. I still have the problem with still being too nice sometimes, but I'm still working on changing that.

A lot of people disagree with the fact that sometimes you must change in order to get what you want in life. But I'm a big believer in doing what has been proven to work in order to get desired results rather than continuing to do what hasn't been working all my life. The biggest disagreement I have with others on the spectrum is in regard to the phrase "just be yourself." Truth is most people are where they are in life as a result of "just being themselves," and if just being yourself really worked, then you would've never been put into a situation where you had to be told that in the first place. If "just being yourself" means "being the type of guy who isn't good with women," the why in the world would you want to "just be yourself?" I'm no sure about others, but I surely don't want to be anything that only pushes me back from my goals of success. So, what I do instead is quit listening to people who say just be myself and take time to learn new tips and techniques. Then I take what I've learned and make it a natural part of my personality, and once I do that, THEN I start being my BETTER self. :smile:

You will hear a lot of people disagree with the fact that women love bad boys and a lot of people telling you to be nice and tell her how you feel, etc. etc. etc. The faster you learn that none of these things really work in the real world, the faster you will begin to see more success. It's sort of like how everybody complains about radio stations playing the same songs over and over and claiming that they are different and love variety. But guess which stations always get the highest ratings.... Don't listen to what people say. Pay attention to what's happening in reality. Think about all your REAL life experiences. Is there a contradiction to what people claim they want in the dating world and what actually happens?

Anyway, bottom line is once I started learning from and only listening to professional dating gurus and began to change and start doing what works to get results instead of continuing to do what hasn't been working all along, I've had a lot more females in my life. Not only that, I started making more friends in general. It even got to the point where I am actually getting dj gigs and participating in other events all because of the people I've managed to attract being there to help me get into those things. On top of that, I'm working and going to school again. It was only a year and a half ago that I could only dream of being the type of person I am today.

I think AS - NT love is possible. However, it will be extremely difficult to find that woman who can accept you for who you are, especially if you're displaying a lot of autistic / aspie traits. It will even be harder if you don't know how to attract women in the first place or if you're being fooled by people who tell you "just be yourself and someday it will just (magically) happen." The real world just does not work that way. I used to live in a dream world where I thought i'd be this sweet, nice, romantic, guy who happens to run into that sweet innocent girl and I buy her flowers, write her a few poems and start telling her how much I love her and she says I love you too and we hold each other in each other's arms and create a real life romantic fantasy. But then I woke up and realized

THAT'S JUST NOT THE WAY IT IS.

But you can create something somewhat close to that - IF you just happen to meet that extremely rare girl who is attracted to nice guy behavior. In 32 years, I think I've only met ONE girl like that, and I've met hundreds of women.

Good luck.

It is possible for AS and NT love, but the chances is much lower. I have experienced it, but all that's left me is being ended in the friendzone or the girl you like "had a boyfriend" and I feel sorry for myself that I might never have a girlfriend. AS and AS love is a possibility, but that depends if you found a fellow Aspie in your place. Mine's barely having any.

To all those convinced they'll never find a girlfriend or boyfriend because of their AS or lack of confidence or whatever, try to break your negative thought patterns. You're just creating a self-fulfilling prophecy by making that assumption of, "Oh, I'll always be alone." I know it's not easy because I've been there.

Nobody ever got a date by making generalizations about other people either . . . so I suggest letting that habit go.

I've had my lonely days too, and for a long time. But my boyfriend, who is neurotypical, loves me for who I am. And I'm an Aspie. I didn't say, "There must be something completely wrong with me," and give up. Have I felt that way? Yes. But I know it's not true. I kept giving myself a chance. I kept giving love a chance. Because of that, I found someone who was willing to take a chance on me. I didn't have to change myself, or act like someone else. And I still don't.

So get up, get out there, and have a little faith in yourself. Someone will notice.

I'm sorry, but I've not read any of the posts in this thread.

However, to simply answer the question in the title:

It may be possible, but is it worth it?

I can only answer this regarding my own situation, of course . . . but absolutely.

Bear in mind that my boyfriend's neurotypical status had no impact on my decision to be with him. Maybe other people here choose to take that into consideration when dating, but I do not.

Yes I have successfully dated NT women [but I hid my Aspergers ID card.] :mask2: However with that said some thick skinned women are not for me. Plus one woman was the opposite of the kind of woman I needed to be with. My current female friend is an N-T xs 2. I've been wondering what it would be like to date a sensitive woman. I guess that is only in my dreams.

A good woman is strong medicine for a man. It is worth the effort to find a partner. Just remember, some women like to be nibbled :wub: on the ear, some like to be nibbled on the eyebrow...and some don't like to be nibbled.

I think this entire world would be better if every person could truly open their eyes to the sparkle that lives within autism or if we could spread not only the awareness but the love and understanding that autism ushers in when it whirls itself into your life.

Looking back on the relationships I had (all with Neurotypical women) it wasn't the difference that did me in. It was that I didn't know I was on the spectrum and never addressed it relative to my relationships.

Frankly I gave up on relationships years ago. If the possibility were to come up unexpectedly, it would be an intriguing prospect given what I know now. Thing is, I'm just not sure I have what it takes to make such a thing work. Maybe it was never there and that I just didn't know why until now. Interesting to ponder...

On one level I need people very much. On others, I don't- and in a big way.

I'm an AS female in a relationship with a NT male. It can definitely work, but like all relationships it's dependent on compatible values, personalities, worldviews, and desires in a relationship.

If you're attracted to the wrong type of person for you, your experiences will of course be negative. Even more so if you're not a good judge of character and are being drawn to or attracting people who are bad influences.

In this world, anything is possible. Unfortunately, anything else is possible too! So, life's what you make it. If you're lucky, you can stop making it what other people tell you it should be and find your own mark.

Thats my philosophical statement of the day done! :bounce:

New Threads

Top Bottom