• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism, Anxiety, ADHD, Depression

Honey

Hello!

I've been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, but not with autism or ADHD. I'm sorta too afraid to bring either up to my mental health care professionals.

Does anyone have any experience living with these conditions and ways to cope? Or how to bring up things to your therapist/psychiatrist.

I've coped with anxiety disorder since I was 13 and
have had bouts of chronic depression.
I don't recommend antidepressants.
They have a lot of bad side effects and only made me feel
worse.
I do take Xanax to keep panic attacks away.
Meditation and rest help also. Can't stand being pressured and rushed.

As far as bringing up things to your therapist...
Just start talking about it. You're already there for other
symptoms so don't be afraid. Just ask.

In my experience, psychiatrists and doctors and only too happy to prescribe drugs. Drugs can help, but they do have side effects, which are different for each person, so I would consider carefully if you want to take them or not. If one doesn't work, you could try a different one. Also, coming off them can be an unpleasant experience - I'm coming off Sertraline right now and I keep getting dizzy and brain zaps, it's horrible.

I've coped with all four conditions my entire life. it's something you have to work day by day at, sometimes the scariest, largest steps can be the biggest accomplishments when you look back at them. i think what's worked most for me was forcing myself to stay in a place that actively scared me, and being proactive wherever i could. Just keep doing small, scary things until you progress to larger, scarier things. It will take a while, but it will happen. Anxiety and depression are tough, but they don't have to own you. As for consulting with your psychologists, i can't really say much but i can try to give some advice. I never felt comfortable with talking about topics like pursuing other diagnoses, and i felt i could never really trust them. IMO, if it's really tough for you to talk to your help team about the things they're supposed to get you through, they're not the right team. I have met so many NT therapists who i just couldn't trust, and subsequently i didn't get anywhere because i just couldn't tell them what i was struggling with. My most successful sessions of counseling/therapy happened with people i felt calm and relaxed around. Lastly, as i would say for anyone who suspects they have something, always do your research before you think about any sort of diagnosis!

Hi Honey,

I am a Psychiatrist and will actually address this question twice this month - once at a monthly Q&A call, and once when I interview a Pediatrician about what she wishes patients would ask her.

Here's my take on it. I love it when patients openly share and ask their concerns in office, then we can create a dialogue about what is going on and where we need to go with treatment.

I encourage them to write down questions prior to appointment and we cover them during the appointment so we don't forget to address them.

Hope this helps,
Dr. B

Hello!

I've been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, but not with autism or ADHD. I'm sorta too afraid to bring either up to my mental health care professionals.

Does anyone have any experience living with these conditions and ways to cope? Or how to bring up things to your therapist/psychiatrist.

I’ve dealt with depression and anxiety for close to 20 years now - although my last depression was over 2 years ago - and ASD as well. My advice to you is to just talk to your therapist. Not all of them will throw pills at you (although it depends on your country). I’m happy to live in a country where these problems are usually addressed with therapy first, only to add medication when therapy alone isn’t enough.

Thank you everyone for replying!
I've read all the replies so far and will take them to heart and see where to go from here with some of the new found information.
Currently, I have just started on Zoloft and we will see how I react in the next two weeks before I get bumped up to a higher dose. I've also been taking vitamins, particularly B12 and vitamin D to try and help with my constant low energy.

Thank you everyone for replying!
I've read all the replies so far and will take them to heart and see where to go from here with some of the new found information.
Currently, I have just started on Zoloft and we will see how I react in the next two weeks before I get bumped up to a higher dose. I've also been taking vitamins, particularly B12 and vitamin D to try and help with my constant low energy.
make sure you are hydrated !potassium and magnesium are extremely important in energy production !if your digestive tract is healthy and your immune system is healthy you will derive it from a healthy balanced diet, the Mediterranean diet is what is recommended !that is what people in the Mediterranean eat !.
have a least a litre of water a day more in hot weather and slightly more because you are taking a drug which will dehydrate you .
if you have any health problems associated with your digestive tract or immune system take potassium !you will have to buy that separately !it is not included in multivitamins !and high-dose vitamin C 1000 MG !

New Threads

Top Bottom