• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dirtdigger

V.I.P Member
I know many of us who are on the Autism Spectrum have sensory issues. In my case the most severe is my hearing though all of my senses are affected.

So I'm wondering which noises, fabrics, smells, tastes, views are you able to handle OK and which ones you just can't deal with?

Since noise affect me the most by a big margin I will only list the ones for noise.

These noises cause sensory overloads that cause me to shake, cry, pace the floor vigorously. There has been a few times where I hit my hit with my fist and kick things.
1. Basketball bouncing
2. Dogs
3. Loud music, especially the bass because I can feel it as well which cause pain sometimes.
4. Train wheels moving over the track sections.
5. Train whistles
6. Loud motorcycles, especially when they are being revved up for 2 hours at a time.
7. Really loud riding mowers.
8. Ringing telephones
9. Other intermitted sounds.
IN MY OWN HOUSE
10. Popping of electronics that are cooling down.
11. Some kinds of fans and heaters
12. My furnace because of the thumping sound.
13. My TV causing me to keep it turned down really low.

Earplugs are useless since I was able to feel many of these sounds.

These noises DO NOT bother me or bother me just a little.
1. Kids outside screaming around as long as they don't bounce basketballs.
2. Any of the toys they play with like scooters and other toys with wheels.
3. Rotary type mowers which is good since I have to mow when summer comes around.
4. Talking
5. Car and truck motors.
6, Continuous sounds don't bother for the most part as long as they aren't really loud.

It was the basketballs being bounced in front of my house with the police just sitting on their hands doing nothing even though it is against the law to bounce and throw them in the street that messed me up so bad causing me to go to my family doctor who set up an appointment for me last month for my 2nd Autism Diagnosis where I got to keep my original diagnosis of Classic Autism. The basketballs and the dogs across the street has been silenced with the help of our Mayor who has an Autistic Adult Son and was on the Autism Committee when he was a firefighter. But now another neighbor is letting her dog bark at the back gate. Since she has some serous mental challenges such as Bipolar and crazy talk, I'm going to try to use a different approach with her despite her stubbornness as well. I do not want to call the police on her since she has been in trouble before over her pit bull biting her other dog causing it to have surgery and killing a cat because they were always getting out. I never had any issues with her other dog because it had a soft bark and didn't bark that much. But the pit bull was a rescue dog and rescue animals aren't always the best choice.

So I hope no one post for the purpose of criticizing me because of my issues like I'm use to reading. I hope you all join in and tell about the noises and other sensory issues you can and cannot tolerate and which ones cause sensory overloads.
:)

On the whole it's sunlight which is the biggest problem for me, even on overcast day it can be a problem. It can be downright dangerous on my motorcycle even when wearing sunglasses! I think I might need to invest in another pair.

There are some sounds I can't deal with though, it's most if I'm caught off guard or it's worse than I expected. The last one which really knocked me about was the sound of someone opening up a silver foil wrapper on a livestream of a computer game, it echoed around in my head for ages and I couldn't think properly for a while.

I also jump at a lot of sudden sounds such as ringing phones or alarms or when my father gets my attention from outside by throwing stones at the window I'm sitting right next to.

I'm extra jumpy with loud sudden sounds; loud telephone ringtones, horn blasts, that sort of thing. I am particularly sensitive to electric/electronic buzz/interference/static sounds. The noise of a refrigerator running drives me batty. Really high tinkling sounds, like the fake triangle sounds in pop music percussion is so ear piercing. That tends to be where I draw the line, ear piercing noises.

Not too many other sensory issues, other than scents. I have a very acute sense of smell and taste, so artificial scents in soaps, detergents, "room fresheners", those make me run out for fresh air. I really like real smells though, even ones that others might think unpleasant or even disgusting. I won't go into those. With taste, I can handle most anything, but have issues with artificial cheese flavors, won't go near them. In fact most real cheese flavors are too much for me, there is just too much going on, too intense, so I stick to bland cheeses, because I do really like cheese.

Otherwise, I tend to the hypo-sensitive, and will put up with things far longer than most, have a much broader comfort range, can endure pain, heat, cold, etc.

Last edited:
I'm extra jumpy with loud sudden sounds; loud telephone ringtones, horn blasts, that sort of thing. I am particularly sensitive to electric/electronic buzz/interference/static sounds. The noise of a refrigerator running drives me batty. Really high tinkling sounds, like the fake triangle sounds in pop music percussion is so ear piercing. That tends to be where I draw the line, ear piercing noises.

Not too many other sensory issues, other than scents. I have a very acute sense of smell and taste, so artificial scents in soaps, detergents, "room fresheners", those make me run out for fresh air. I really like real smells though, even ones that others might think unpleasant or even disgusting. I won't go into those. With taste, I can handle most anything, but have issues with artificial cheese flavors, won't go near them. In fact most real cheese flavors are too much for me, there is just too much going on, too intense, so I stick to bland cheeses, because I do really like cheese.

Otherwise, I tend to the hypo-sensitive, and will put up with things far longer than most, have a much broader comfort range, can endure pain, heat, cold, etc.

I know what you mean about many smells. The most disgusting smell for me is cigarette smoke. It is sickening an really smells nasty stinky up everything. And some perfumes overwhelms my smell as well. But I seem to be insensitive to cheese smells for some reason. However I love the real cheeses and like you, hate the imitation cheeses. I love Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese which makes my face scrunch up. So I'm pretty sure you won't like this cheese it is so overwhelming, LOL. I absolutely can't stand room fresheners, not because the smell bad, they don't, but because they are so overpowering. :pizza:

the only thing i hate is a child screaming so much. thats annoying. my head spins when that happens. but its not a autism trait.

The only noise that bothers me much is crowd noise. I can not distinguish any language in the din. It may as well be a bunch of chickens clucking. That is one of the reasons that I do not like crowds. Sometimes sudden loud noises startle me. I work in warehouses a lot and fork lift drivers move pallets by hand with the pallet sideways. When they drop the pallet, I about jump out of my skin. The first time I ever heard that was 45+ years ago and it still startles me.

What bothers me the most is artificial overhead lighting. I can not spend to much time in a store because of the lighting, even if there are not many people in the store. At home we use lamps on tables, not overhead lights. However, sun light does not bother me.

If you live in an area that is populated, it might be worth it to consider moving to an area less populated if possible. Cost of living tends to be cheaper in many places less populated and more rural. This will also help with the sound factors too.

The only noise that bothers me much is crowd noise. I can not distinguish any language in the din. It may as well be a bunch of chickens clucking. That is one of the reasons that I do not like crowds. Sometimes sudden loud noises startle me. I work in warehouses a lot and fork lift drivers move pallets by hand with the pallet sideways. When they drop the pallet, I about jump out of my skin. The first time I ever heard that was 45+ years ago and it still startles me.

What bothers me the most is artificial overhead lighting. I can not spend to much time in a store because of the lighting, even if there are not many people in the store. At home we use lamps on tables, not overhead lights. However, sun light does not bother me.

Noise from crowds is the very reason I try to go to Wal-Mart earlier in the morning around 9am when it isn't too loud and don't have a lot of people. I also hear a loud off and on high pitch sound several times during my shopping plus many other noises coming at me all at once. I just have so much trouble processing it. And I also see children having meltdowns a lot in Wal-Mart. It's bad enough that they have to be in such a noisy environment, but the mothers will not give the kids something to help keep them occupied. I so want to tell some of those stupid parents off. :mad:

Everything from ticking clocks to screaming kids, part noise, part vibration.

Recently came off anti d's and yesterday and today I can physically hear and feel the vibration of every foot step I've made in my head!!!!! But i'm going to persevere!!

Lights kill me, especially if someone puts a light on in the night.. instant migraine.

As for noises...

Metal on metal. Scraping. I cannot stand it and will run from it. This means when someone is doing the dishes I tend to just go outside. Teeth on silverware especially. If I'm around someone who is eating and they tend to bite down on their fork I have to leave. This is frustrating, as most of the time this tends to happen is when I'm in a social situation and it would be perceived as strange or rude. Knives on plates also are unbearable so if I get invited to a steak dinner I tend to decline. Hearing other people eat cereal is also bothersome, but more often than not it simply makes me extremely irritable rather than necessitate leaving.

Just yesterday I was helping my neighbor clean his boat, and it came to a point where he was cleaning the floor of the boat with cleaner and a large handled brush. The surface pattern is raised so when he began to brush it made an awful noise when it rubbed. I don't know specifically what that would be called but it was extremely unpleasant so I went inside and made coffee until he finished.

I plug my ears when sirens get too close.

A very specific type of whistle from another person. Not joyous whistling or whistling a song, but that "Phew" type of whistle. All I can tell you is my dad often does this when he is bored and I go from happy to extremely agitated very quickly. Often forces me to have to leave.

I can hear the buzzing of the light bulbs when the dimmer switch has been turned down to where the light is barely detectable but still not off. I hear the buzzing before I notice the light usually. I have to look around to see which lamp is buzzing before I know which to turn off.

As for noises...

Metal on metal. Scraping. I cannot stand it and will run from it. This means when someone is doing the dishes I tend to just go outside. Teeth on silverware especially. If I'm around someone who is eating and they tend to bite down on their fork I have to leave. This is frustrating, as most of the time this tends to happen is when I'm in a social situation and it would be perceived as strange or rude. Knives on plates also are unbearable so if I get invited to a steak dinner I tend to decline. Hearing other people eat cereal is also bothersome, but more often than not it simply makes me extremely irritable rather than necessitate leaving.

Just yesterday I was helping my neighbor clean his boat, and it came to a point where he was cleaning the floor of the boat with cleaner and a large handled brush. The surface pattern is raised so when he began to brush it made an awful noise when it rubbed. I don't know specifically what that would be called but it was extremely unpleasant so I went inside and made coffee until he finished.

I plug my ears when sirens get too close.

A very specific type of whistle from another person. Not joyous whistling or whistling a song, but that "Phew" type of whistle. All I can tell you is my dad often does this when he is bored and I go from happy to extremely agitated very quickly. Often forces me to have to leave.

I know there are many noises that bother me, but I just can't think of them all even though they occur everyday. I have to wash my dishes every morning and try not to make a lot of noise with them. But regardless, my ears tend to vibrate. Sometimes the keys on my computer keyboard does a number on my ears and try to keep my messages short. And they are bothering me a little. I hate social settings because I hate being around people so I don't have to deal with their rude behaviors.

Bright lights, high humidity, the sound of motorcycles,crowded places !! All these can start me off :eek:

Its been so windy all night and even now outside I can hear all the cans, plastic milk bottles etc flying everywhere round the street, banging into the walls, cars, rattling all over the place.

I wonder if any of the neighbours slept last night because I know I didn't.

I was being seen for sensory (hearing) issues just prior to being diagnosed (which, I think, is what lead to me being sent for the evaluation). Many noises bother me, unless it's conversation that I can hear clearly.

Bothered by: (all hearing related)
  1. Lawn mowers (electric)
  2. Certain advertisements on TV
  3. Certain notes played together
  4. Certain songs
  5. Vibrations in the walls
  6. Vibrations from lights
  7. Sirens I hear but don't know where they are
  8. People speaking (can't hear clearly)
  9. Rap / bass music
  10. Alarms sounding or vibrating in someone else's apartment
  11. Video games
  12. Loud music
I am easily distracted by noise and need to investigate what it is before trying to continue.

You know,
Regarding my sensory issues, they have been so vast, multiple and so consistent that I could never even distinguish that my sensory issues were as they are. Thoughts tangled, noise too many, sight too much... when all of this is broken down, its mind blowing for a normal person to comprehend because IT IS NOT NORMAL.

This is not stress, nor depression.

Since getting to grips with all this and pin pointing what should have been obvious, I noticed in town today that when I am walking around I do not look directly ahead of me.

I was very self aware of the fact that actually I look down to the floor.... around 6 ft in front of me, but definitely at the floor. Each time I glanced up, the sun glared making me squint and all the people made my eyes dizzy. In realising this I can now explain that looking 6 ft or so in front and downward is a safe thing for me to do, I can still see the business of everyone just outside of my sight but it isn't a glare.

Rabbit in the spot light springs to mind in explaining my awareness in that time.

Within that 6 ft range, I have a clearer view of anything coming towards me.

Just thought i'd share that ;)

I'll joke and say DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME....
But on the real side... Don't do this while crossing a road... Even i'm not that stupid ;)

I know many of us who are on the Autism Spectrum have sensory issues. In my case the most severe is my hearing though all of my senses are affected.

So I'm wondering which noises, fabrics, smells, tastes, views are you able to handle OK and which ones you just can't deal with?

Since noise affect me the most by a big margin I will only list the ones for noise.

These noises cause sensory overloads that cause me to shake, cry, pace the floor vigorously. There has been a few times where I hit my hit with my fist and kick things.
1. Basketball bouncing
2. Dogs
3. Loud music, especially the bass because I can feel it as well which cause pain sometimes.
4. Train wheels moving over the track sections.
5. Train whistles
6. Loud motorcycles, especially when they are being revved up for 2 hours at a time.
7. Really loud riding mowers.
8. Ringing telephones
9. Other intermitted sounds.
IN MY OWN HOUSE
10. Popping of electronics that are cooling down.
11. Some kinds of fans and heaters
12. My furnace because of the thumping sound.
13. My TV causing me to keep it turned down really low.

Earplugs are useless since I was able to feel many of these sounds.

These noises DO NOT bother me or bother me just a little.
1. Kids outside screaming around as long as they don't bounce basketballs.
2. Any of the toys they play with like scooters and other toys with wheels.
3. Rotary type mowers which is good since I have to mow when summer comes around.
4. Talking
5. Car and truck motors.
6, Continuous sounds don't bother for the most part as long as they aren't really loud.

It was the basketballs being bounced in front of my house with the police just sitting on their hands doing nothing even though it is against the law to bounce and throw them in the street that messed me up so bad causing me to go to my family doctor who set up an appointment for me last month for my 2nd Autism Diagnosis where I got to keep my original diagnosis of Classic Autism. The basketballs and the dogs across the street has been silenced with the help of our Mayor who has an Autistic Adult Son and was on the Autism Committee when he was a firefighter. But now another neighbor is letting her dog bark at the back gate. Since she has some serous mental challenges such as Bipolar and crazy talk, I'm going to try to use a different approach with her despite her stubbornness as well. I do not want to call the police on her since she has been in trouble before over her pit bull biting her other dog causing it to have surgery and killing a cat because they were always getting out. I never had any issues with her other dog because it had a soft bark and didn't bark that much. But the pit bull was a rescue dog and rescue animals aren't always the best choice.

So I hope no one post for the purpose of criticizing me because of my issues like I'm use to reading. I hope you all join in and tell about the noises and other sensory issues you can and cannot tolerate and which ones cause sensory overloads.
:)
I am never, EVER without my Mp3 and earbuds. ( It is the only way I can cope with the NT world. ) Dark shades/sunglasses help as well. *Also, a bit of Vics, or essential oil under the nose can help with crowded plane/train rides. ( Vics is an old coroner's secret for blocking smells. )

I know many of us who are on the Autism Spectrum have sensory issues.

This is a new and interesting topic for me. In crowded noisy situations, I've always struggled to listening to another person talking to me. I've always assumed that it must be my hearing. Now I've been diagnosed on the spectrum, I now think it's more likely to be sensory issue.

And I've always detested metal scrapping noises. (...shudders...)

For me, the hardest thing to handle is the sensation of skin on skin, or soft physical contact of any kind, something to do with the pressure and texture I think. And I'm sure you can tell why that my get awkward... o_O

New Threads

Top Bottom