• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and racism?…

SimplyWandering

Man facing backlash for repeatedly calling police on black women at pool blames his autism: 'I don't see race'

The reason I am posting this is because I live close to the area in which it happened.

Try not to read the comments in the Yahoo! article if you are easily offended by ASD being treated poorly.

My take is that I’ve always been against using autism as an excuse for my actions, yet some things do occur because of autism. Now I am not sure how to react to this, and the thing about him being lgbt and not identifying as such should not be a reason. I am interested in hearing what others think.

Autism can be a reason for many unexpected behaviours which can be understood and accommodated for.

Racism and all other forms of prejudice are not behaviours, they are destructive opinions. There is NO acceptable reason on Earth to justify or excuse them.

I totally understand the compulsion he has to pull people up on transgressing rules and regulations. I do the same due to my strong sense of right and wrong and if something is wrong, however minor that may seem to an NT person (black or white), to someone like myself or this guy their behaviour is wrong and they need to be told to stop it and respect others.

Most NT people can't accept this and think i am just being awkward or that what they are doing is trivial amd i should 'lighten up' a bit. The important bit that they fail to understand is what is trivial to them may not be to me and this winds me up because trivial or not, if they shouldn't be doing something then they shouldn't be doing it and it needs to stop.

My concern is that the report highlights that this guy has a history of racial comments on social media which, if true this is totally unacceptable and unlawful and could be the primary reason behind the constant complaints against these people rather than their behaviour that he so vehemently opposes.

I didn't watch the videos because that kind of conflict situation is too uncomfortable for me to watch. I'm kind of confused by the article because it starts in a way that's like, "Autistic man ruins NT people's good time" by calling them out on breaking the rules. I understand 100% if this guy had reported these women for breaking the rules because I also can't stand to be around people who break rules.

But then the stuff about his anti-LGBTQ and white supremacist stuff ... Eh, he sounds like the type of person that is part of oppressed groups, but wants to cosy up to the powerful groups in society by not aligning himself with them at all. I don't understand those people.

So yeah, maybe he was targeting these women because of racism (which is obviously not excused somehow by autism), maybe he was just angry they weren't following the rules. He sounds an unpleasant man in any case.

New Threads

Top Bottom