• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and jobs

Sara3

Hi. I have been reading about the struggles that autistic people have to get a job and I feel identified. I am scared of feeling constantly tired and anxious (because I already am). I don't want to be a teacher and only thinking about it makes me feel miserable. I don't have a job yet but I am trying very hard to define what to do to earn money. Do you have any ideas, experiences, comments, regarding to job experiences etc.?

I don't want to be a teacher and only thinking about it makes me feel miserable.
Is that your major?
If so, would you feel the same way if your students were autistic or disabled? (You may have an edge in that specialty.)

I assume from your comment and being a teacher that that is what you are trained for? Perhaps you would feel more comfortable in special education?

To put it simply. If you're on the spectrum. job hunting is gonna be very difficult. but not impossible.

Otherwise... If we are going by stereotypical autistic traits you can assume that jobs that have a routine and repetitive tasks would be good (I love data entry) or jobs which require little social interaction, perhaps work that can be done remotely/from home. But you aren't a stereotype, you're a person, so hard to say what you would be good at or enjoy.

I assume from your comment and being a teacher that that is what you are trained for? Perhaps you would feel more comfortable in special education?
Yes I was trained to be a teacher. Unfortunately I never received any training for special education. I was with NT students all the time.

Otherwise... If we are going by stereotypical autistic traits you can assume that jobs that have a routine and repetitive tasks would be good (I love data entry) or jobs which require little social interaction, perhaps work that can be done remotely/from home. But you aren't a stereotype, you're a person, so hard to say what you would be good at or enjoy.
It would be a dream come true if I could work from home. :D

I imagine being a teacher would be very hard and overwhelming as an autistic person. I certainly couldn't do it. However, there are people on this site who have/have had all sorts of jobs that I could never see myself managing, so we're all different. You just have to work out what is possible for you and what isn't, and don't beat yourself up about it.

I have very severe social anxiety, so I found the process of interviewing and working in a workplace too hard. I was very down on myself for ages, and was even more anxious because I was failing at what I saw as the only route. But that didn't actually help me solve the problem. Instead, I had a go at being self-employed, and it turns out it really, really suits me. So there are always different options, so don't get despondent!

I imagine being a teacher would be very hard and overwhelming as an autistic person. I certainly couldn't do it. However, there are people on this site who have/have had all sorts of jobs that I could never see myself managing, so we're all different. You just have to work out what is possible for you and what isn't, and don't beat yourself up about it.

I have very severe social anxiety, so I found the process of interviewing and working in a workplace too hard. I was very down on myself for ages, and was even more anxious because I was failing at what I saw as the only route. But that didn't actually help me solve the problem. Instead, I had a go at being self-employed, and it turns out it really, really suits me. So there are always different options, so don't get despondent!
Shy snail, what is your job?

I'm a teacher and I can relate with not wanting to be one :p haha. Finding a tolerable job that pays the bills especially if you are living on your own is very difficult it seems.

I think any job has its unpleasant aspects.

Perhaps it's about balance?
What you maybe prepared to accept or tolerate because the work itself is something you're good at and get satisfaction from.

You'll know your own interests and where your strengths are.
Can you make money from them?

There'll always be other people involved. Whether it's an employer, customers, client, tax office, insurances.

I guess it all depends on what you think you can do.

Hi. I have been reading about the struggles that autistic people have to get a job and I feel identified. I am scared of feeling constantly tired and anxious (because I already am). I don't want to be a teacher and only thinking about it makes me feel miserable. I don't have a job yet but I am trying very hard to define what to do to earn money. Do you have any ideas, experiences, comments, regarding to job experiences etc.?

Hah, I’m probably the worst person to take advice from when it comes to job stuff. I’ve done everything from office work (I was young, clueless, and hated the office politics), to electronic assembly (quite liked the repetitive nature of this), retail (not ideal for lots of reasons), freelance web development (liked the work and the flexibility, hated the clients), freelance copyediting (same thing), and studied a whole bunch of things that I thought I wanted to do (such as audio engineering), and stuff that I’m actually using now (such as literature and creative writing).

I’m currently in a teaching role in a retail environment where I get to talk about one of my interests (technology) all day. So, while some parts of the job are very hard to deal with (the noise, the lights, the social stuff), some parts are extremely rewarding and balance everything out. I feel as though I can tolerate more sensory and social stuff when I’m doing something I enjoy. That said, I only work 3 days a week because I need lots and lots of downtime in order to function in my job, and I’m dealing with a bunch of anxiety and having regular meltdowns and shutdowns lately. So take of that what you will. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best I’ve got right now.

Point being.... I figured out what I enjoy, what I hate, and what I can and cannot tolerate—and how much I can and cannot tolerate—through trial and error. I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but the fact is we all have our strengths and weaknesses, we’re all individuals, and what works for me might be an absolute nightmare for you, and vice versa. So the best advice I can give is to get to know yourself really, really well.

Since you’re trained as a teacher, it would be easiest to explore your options there first, as others have mentioned. I adore teaching, but I could never teach a classroom full of kids, for example. There are plenty of other ways you could use these same skills, and I like others’ suggestions of teaching students with special needs. I think that sounds wonderful.

I'm a teacher and I can relate with not wanting to be one :p haha. Finding a tolerable job that pays the bills especially if you are living on your own is very difficult it seems.
Well, in my case, I am not on my own as I don't make most of my income. I am so lucky because I have my needs covered. But I just want to be able to make a decent amount of money as I'm worried about my future.

Hi Sara3, this is just my thoughts of course but I have a friend who is very soft spoken, she was a teacher for many years, now she is older and just does substitute teaching a few days a week, she isn't an Aspie but she was recently telling me of the struggles with some of her students. Kids start acting up and not listening and there is nothing they can do about it, she said at times she went home and was so upset she came home and cried. BUT if you did decide to teach, I think like someone had said be a specialty teacher, you would better understand what those kids go through and the melt downs they have. People who do not have ASD really do not fully understand those outbursts or melt downs, you would have an upper hand on that stuff and maybe make a real difference by understanding them. (again just my thoughts) I do not have ASD but my son does, he is an adult now and it took me many years to understand him, I thought he was shy....i didn't understand why he would act out, i thought he was just being a brat at times, and i am sure many teachers or parents don't see the fact that they may have ASD (at least not right away) YOU however could spot that and maybe help unlike a teacher who just thinks they are bad kids. (I was just telling that same woman about the difference between the way someones mind processes things with ASD, she said wow you are very insightful and understanding, I said no, I have just had more time dealing with it in my son than you have. I understand it now because of my son.)

I have severe anxiety and fatigue which makes getting a normal job quite difficult for me. I help run a small family business from home, but I'm worried that this won't always provide me with the aid I need long term. I wish you best of luck in your pursuit of a job. I know how important it is to feel financially independent.

Trying out many different jobs is useful in finding what works for you. These could be internships or part-time work.

Try to be creative in considering your options. For instance, a niche job that turned into a full-time income for some people is writing lesson plans and selling them online to other teachers. This would give you the benefits of working at home, being your own boss, and incorporating your training. I'm not saying choose this option, but rather, find ways to exploit your strengths.

Many, many autistic people find full time employment too draining. If that proves true for you, don't waste years of your life blaming yourself or being bitter. It just means you tried and failed to do it, and you already know you have some unusual challenges.

New Threads

Top Bottom