• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and cancer combination

Dadamen

I had cancer ( T - anaplastic large cell lymphoma) at the age of 13, and then noticed that I have autism symptoms at the age of 15. After I joined this forum I have met more people with autism + cancer combination and seen some online articles where they are researching this combination. Cancer has somewnat worsened my autism because I didn't go to school for year and a half. During this time I almost didn't socialize at all and became even more obsessed with my narrow interests. Also, I had anxiety and panic attacks. I still have them now, but they have reduced from often to a few times in a year. I talked to psychologist, psychiatrist and neurologist when I had this anxiety and panic attacks, but they didn't notice that aside from cancer autism is also hiding behind them. I noticed that I have autism when I already was back to school. What do you think, are autism and cancer really connected?

Simple answer as best as my knowledge NO there isent ANY combination between cancer and being born with autism. the fact that you`re presumed autism or similar problems have gotten worse can just as well be due to some side effects from the medicines or even other circumstances.

Anxiety and panic attacks dont necessarily mean you have Autism . You can both of them alone without any other NP diagnosis (neoro psychological ,Autism or ASD as its now named is one of this diagnosis)

One of the criterias for having ASD is you had to have had signs of this from early childhood. In other words you are born with this. whereas Cancer is something that you can indeed been born with or hereditary of course and have the genes to develop this later or early in life .

It breaks my heart tho to read that you got this cancer so early in life :( And i do hope you recoverd compleatly from this.

Last edited:
Simple answer as best as my knowledge NO there isent ANY combination between cancer and being born with autism. the fact that you`re presumed autism or similar problems have gotten worse can just as well be due to some side effects from the medicines or even other circumstances.

Anxiety and panic attacks dont necessarily mean you have Autism . You can both of them alone without any other NP diagnosis (neoro psychological ,Autism or ASD as its now named is one of this diagnosis)

One of the criterias for having ASD is you had to have had signs of this from early childhood. In other words you are born with this. whereas Cancer is something that you can indeed been born with or hereditary of course and have the genes to develop this later or early in life .

It breaks my heart tho to read that you got his cancer so early in life :( And i do hope you recoverd compleatly from this.
I recovered from cancer completely, as I know there are around 300 cases of childhood cancer per year in my country (population 4M). I had problems with socialization, repetitive behaviour, narrow interests and minor sensory issues (sesnitivity to loud noise and some clothes) as a child. Anxiety and panic attacks appeared with cancer. Cancer has made bad thing for my autism because I skipped a year and a half of chance for socialization with my peers in school.

I recovered from cancer completely, as I know there are around 300 cases of childhood cancer per year in my country (population 4M).

I had problems with socialization, repetitive behaviour, narrow interests and minor sensory issues (sesnitivity to loud noise and some clothes) as a child.

Anxiety and panic attacks appeared with cancer. Cancer has made bad thing for my autism because I skipped a year and a half of chance for socialization with my peers in school.

Thank god for that utliest .

Well then thats another story then all you need is to get a evalution if possible in youre country from a certified evalution team or doc for NP diagnosis.

I understand

I want to study medicine and they will maybe refuse me if I get diagnosis, so it is maybe better not to get it.

I want to study medicine and they will maybe refuse me if I get diagnosis, so it is maybe better not to get it.

The risk is there for shore and the only one that can make this desition whether its worth it or not is you.

The risk is there for shore and the only one that can make this desition whether its worth it or not is you.
The autism treatments are not magic and it dosen't mean I will have friends after one. It is better that I just try to do the best myself and that people think I'm normal.

I see from the links that you posted in another thread that research has been carried out and some links have been found between autism genes and cancer genes, but it's still only a possibility and by no means conclusive. Given that statisically, about a third of all people will develop cancer at some point in their life, you are bound to get a certain number of people on the spectrum with cancer, the question is, is that number statistically greater than the general population? There are also suggestions that people with autism are actually less likely to get cancer. I have my doubts over both of these. Really, more research is needed in this area.

Links from other thread:

The curious connection between autism and cancer | Spectrum | Autism Research News
Connecting the dots: Overlaps between autism and cancer suggest possible common mechanisms regarding signaling pathways related to metabolic alterations - ScienceDirect
Autism and cancer share risk genes, pathways and drug targets

Last edited:
The autism treatments are not magic and it dosen't mean I will have friends after one. It is better that I just try to do the best myself and that people think I'm normal.

There is NO treatment or cure for autism what they can do is find ways to help you cope with said diagnose.

As i said only you can make that desition.

Interesting, I just got a biopsy done this morning to try to determine if I have lymphoma (all signs are pointing that way, but I guess they can’t give a 100% sure diagnosis without the results of the biopsy) and if so, specifically what kind.

Interesting, I just got a biopsy done this morning to try to determine if I have lymphoma (all signs are pointing that way, but I guess they can’t give a 100% sure diagnosis without the results of the biopsy) and if so, specifically what kind.
Wish you good luck! Which symptoms do you have? Did you already make a puncture that showed lymphoma? For me it started with a fewer, chills, abdominal pain and constipation (because of lymph nodes in abdomen), one swollen lymph node above my collarbone. After 7 days of fewer I was admitted to a hospital, after 10 days of fewer puncture results showed it is likely that I have lymphoma, after 13 days of fewer I went to a surgery, they made me lymph node extripation and biopsy (Dg. T anaplastic large cell lymphoma, this kind is rare and most cases occur in children), they also made me a bone marrow puncture and a lumbar puncture (these were ok, it was good that lymphoma isn't spread in BM or CNS) and built me in a central venous catheter. After surgery fewer has dropped and I went to PET/CT scan that verified lymphoma in neck, mediastinum and abdomen. I had to go 6 chemotherapy cycles. It took 4 months (03/2017 - 07/2017). The main side effects were: nausea, fatigue, abdominal pain, constipation, mucositis, hair loss. After these 6 cycles I went to PET/CT again and then I was in complete remmision. I had to undergo a maintance therapy every week for 1 year. I was mostly fine during that, but I had to take laxatives every day because a drug (name: Vinblastine) caused me serious constipation. In 08/2018 I was finally over with everything and now I'm in a 3 year remmision and go to controls every 3 months.

Wish you good luck! Which symptoms do you have? Did you already make a puncture that showed lymphoma? For me it started with a fewer, chills, abdominal pain and constipation (because of lymph nodes in abdomen), one swollen lymph node above my collarbone. After 7 days of fewer I was admitted to a hospital, after 10 days of fewer puncture results showed it is likely that I have lymphoma, after 13 days of fewer I went to a surgery, they made me lymph node extripation and biopsy (Dg. T anaplastic large cell lymphoma, this kind is rare and most cases occur in children), they also made me a bone marrow puncture and a lumbar puncture (these were ok, it was good that lymphoma isn't spread in BM or CNS) and built me in a central venous catheter. After surgery fewer has dropped and I went to PET/CT scan that verified lymphoma in neck, mediastinum and abdomen. I had to go 6 chemotherapy cycles. It took 4 months (03/2017 - 07/2017). The main side effects were: nausea, fatigue, abdominal pain, constipation, mucositis, hair loss. After these 6 cycles I went to PET/CT again and then I was in complete remmision. I had to undergo a maintance therapy every week for 1 year. I was mostly fine during that, but I had to take laxatives every day because a drug (name: Vinblastine) caused me serious constipation. In 08/2018 I was finally over with everything and now I'm in a 3 year remmision and go to controls every 3 months.

I have very swollen lymph nodes in my neck and mediastinal area, is what made us really start looking into it. Very obvious if you feel my neck. Two years ago I noticed a couple of lumps in between where my neck and shoulder join, got it checked out and determined it was benign at the time, but then I was feeling something pressing on my throat a bit and noticed that the lumps had gotten bigger and more numerous since the last time I’d paid any attention to the area. I also have been dealing with some anemia, so it’s possible some of my issues are due to that. I’m incredibly weak, have to stop and rest just when getting to the bathroom, have to stop in the middle of just about every sentence I write to rest my hand (not typing, though, that’s easier - just when I’m hand-writing something). I get very lightheaded upon standing and start to grey out if I try to ignore it. Also I get dizzy sometimes, and will sometimes feel like there is motion when there is none (for example feeling like the chair I’m sitting in is moving, or when I stopped to rest on the cooler in the kitchen and felt like it was collapsing inward even though I knew it wasn’t).

I did get a needle biopsy, but it didn’t reveal anything, so then I got a PET scan, which did show probable cancer (although my mom knows someone who got a PET scan and had hemorrhoids that lit up, had to get a colonoscopy and everything to make sure it was nothing related to cancer, so that’s a reminder that not everything that lights up is necessarily cancer), and now have gotten a surgical biopsy to collect more tissue and hopefully figure out exactly what kind of lymphoma I have, assuming that is what I have at all. I was told that if I do have lymphoma, I will need a bone marrow biopsy to make sure it hasn’t spread to my bones, and I will also be having a port put in if I do have lymphoma - I’m guessing those two things are the next steps that will happen if the biopsy does show lymphoma.

I have very swollen lymph nodes in my neck and mediastinal area, is what made us really start looking into it. Very obvious if you feel my neck. Two years ago I noticed a couple of lumps in between where my neck and shoulder join, got it checked out and determined it was benign at the time, but then I was feeling something pressing on my throat a bit and noticed that the lumps had gotten bigger and more numerous since the last time I’d paid any attention to the area. I also have been dealing with some anemia, so it’s possible some of my issues are due to that. I’m incredibly weak, have to stop and rest just when getting to the bathroom, have to stop in the middle of just about every sentence I write to rest my hand (not typing, though, that’s easier - just when I’m hand-writing something). I get very lightheaded upon standing and start to grey out if I try to ignore it. Also I get dizzy sometimes, and will sometimes feel like there is motion when there is none (for example feeling like the chair I’m sitting in is moving, or when I stopped to rest on the cooler in the kitchen and felt like it was collapsing inward even though I knew it wasn’t).

I did get a needle biopsy, but it didn’t reveal anything, so then I got a PET scan, which did show probable cancer (although my mom knows someone who got a PET scan and had hemorrhoids that lit up, had to get a colonoscopy and everything to make sure it was nothing related to cancer, so that’s a reminder that not everything that lights up is necessarily cancer), and now have gotten a surgical biopsy to collect more tissue and hopefully figure out exactly what kind of lymphoma I have, assuming that is what I have at all. I was told that if I do have lymphoma, I will need a bone marrow biopsy to make sure it hasn’t spread to my bones, and I will also be having a port put in if I do have lymphoma - I’m guessing those two things are the next steps that will happen if the biopsy does show lymphoma.

They confirmed my lymphoma already with needle biopsy and did bone marrow puncture and port built in in the same operation as surgical bioption. I had it in neck, mediastinum and abdomen. For you it is a good sign it it is not on the both sides of diaphragm (only neck and mediastinum, no abdomen or groins). If you feel bad you sholud measure your body temperature. My first symptoms were fewer (up to 40 C) and abdominal pain and on day 6 of fewer noticed a lump on neck.

Hi, I have Diffuse Large B Cell Non Hodgkin Lymphoma. It's in my bones.

I am writing because I've had horrible response to chemo. I've had dizziness, weakness, and unsteadiness in my legs to where walking and showering is very dangerous.

The RCHOP chemo kicked me into prediabetes nearly overnight. As soon as I had my first infusion in 2019, my numbers went from very low, to high, and it has never righted itself, even with careful diet. My blood pressure has always been low, but after the first infusion, it has consistently been borderline high. It's very scary. It was literally like the day after my first infusion, everything in my body went wrong.

My liver hurts all the time, and the herbal medicines I normally take to cleanse it are having very little effect.

Also, the chemo brain aspect is much stronger than other people who have had cancer. It's amplified my autism symptoms greatly.

I have almost lost the ability to read paragraphs. I can write them, but to read a paragraph I have to sort of struggle to read most of the first sentence and then struggle to hen peck words from the rest of the paragraph to try to get what it's talking about. This is extremely stressful, as I love reading, and books have always been my escape.

I am also unable to read the bible. It's breaking my heart. I want to get one of those books of handy bible verses for different occasions. And maybe a picture bible for young children. Maybe that'd help.

Also, I struggle much more to get the right word out verbally. I've gone a tiny bit nonverbal. I'll get really frustrated when I can't say something like "water" or "concentration" or "raisins" some other word that should flow freely, but the word will be locked up in my brain, and I can't convey it verbally.

Have you had similar experience? It's very scary to go through this alone.

I am writing because I've had horrible response to chemo. I've had dizziness, weakness, and unsteadiness in my legs to where walking and showering is very dangerous.
Had the same symptoms, wait for a few days and they will pass. Also struggled with concentration and chemo brain and had meltdowns I didn't have before. Go to your neurologst and psychiatrist to see for solution. My doctor always said me that I must drink B-complex (neurobion is the best) and magnesium for these side effects.

There are such a lot of people with autism and cancer here, looks like a common combination.

Hi, I have Diffuse Large B Cell Non Hodgkin Lymphoma. It's in my bones.

The RCHOP chemo kicked me into prediabetes nearly overnight. As soon as I had my first infusion in 2019, my numbers went from very low, to high, and it has never righted itself, even with careful diet. My blood pressure has always been low, but after the first infusion, it has consistently been borderline high. It's very scary. It was literally like the day after my first infusion, everything in my body went wrong.

My liver hurts all the time, and the herbal medicines I normally take to cleanse it are having very little effect.

Also, the chemo brain aspect is much stronger than other people who have had cancer. It's amplified my autism symptoms greatly.

I have almost lost the ability to read paragraphs. I can write them, but to read a paragraph I have to sort of struggle to read most of the first sentence and then struggle to hen peck words from the rest of the paragraph to try to get what it's talking about. This is extremely stressful, as I love reading, and books have always been my escape.

I am also unable to read the bible. It's breaking my heart. I want to get one of those books of handy bible verses for different occasions. And maybe a picture bible for young children. Maybe that'd help.

Also, I struggle much more to get the right word out verbally. I've gone a tiny bit nonverbal. I'll get really frustrated when I can't say something like "water" or "concentration" or "raisins" some other word that should flow freely, but the word will be locked up in my brain, and I can't convey it verbally.

Have you had similar experience? It's very scary to go through this alone.
try high strength vit c 2000mg as your immune system needs all the help it can

I have been taking 1000 mg vit c, didn't know there is 2000 mg.
You can get 567g vit c powder which has 2500mg per teaspoon at a wholefood store in the UK and online or get 1500mg and 500mg you do that for two weeks come off for 3 weeks and you can repeat again, that's a disclaimer (protects the manufacturers, sellers ,doctors, anyone administering it from prosecution)under English law ,but some take the 2500mg in a teaspoon and have good results

New Threads

Top Bottom