• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and alcohol

Aspie_With_Attitude

V.I.P Member
I've uploaded a new video last night.

In this video, I had discussed my views on alcohol.

I thought that I'll leave this there to discuss amongst yourself whether you perhaps drink or you don't drink.

Have you ever had a problem with alcohol? Some you have and needed to maybe go through rehab of some kind. I do drink, I am not a alcoholic, just like to drink to relax these days.

I've had a taste of some beverages, not my thing... however, 2 exceptions I will make are: Jello Shots (with a higher Jello to Alcohol Ratio say approximately 2:1) and Root Beer w/ Root Beet Schnapps, same principle as the former, high Root Beer to Schnapps Ratio, 2:1). That's because I can't taste the alcohol :D

I like a decent small batch beer . I like stouts and porters . There are many small breweries in/near our town and I like to try them.

I drink local Real Ale, here in Sheffield there's several excellent local Breweries and over the years I've had most of their wares (although I'm not keen on Wards' Bitter, I like Bitter but theirs is a bit TOO Bitter IMO)

If I ever drank, it was specifically to get drunk to end the pain of my daily life. I try to avoid it, because i would just abuse it.

When I was in my late teens and early twenties, I drank socially a lot. When I was drinking, I could mix in with groups just fine. I actually had friends, albeit the bar fly type. However, it did not take long to figure out the downsides of this type of behavior. It will ruin your health.

These days I do not drink much. I like to have a beer with Mexican food or maybe a couple during a football game. I have actually left beer in the garage frig so long that it expired. I save them until I go to the firing range. Then I shake them up and shoot them.

I am not built for heavy drinking so eliminated that early on but did like a few beers or glasses of wine in the evening. The problem was I have a tendency to make activities like this into habits, and they grow, so I found it was better to not do it at all. I do allow myself a few sips of wine on super special occasions.

I've had a problem with drinking heavily and previously I frequently drunk until I blacked out. I try to keep my drinking to a minimum these days, but when I've got a few drinks in me it's hard to stop. Which is why I try to stop after 2 drinks. I usually succeed.

Of course, when I was a teen, I'd drink to get drunk if I didn't have pot available. :) But it didn't last long - by the time I was 17 I was a mom and married and no longer having fun. As an adult I could probably count on one hand the times I went out with a group from work or being with all the cheer leader parents at an out of town competition and I might have one of those fruity drinks to help me blend in a little easier. I'm more like cig114 because I do like the taste of some wines and I'd decide I would drink just a tiny bit in the evening - next thing I knew, the bottle has been sitting there for weeks untouched and I end up dumping it out in the sink. Guess it's just not me. But I have some friends who start with breakfast and by the end of the day they're usually a little wasted.

I drank socially in my late teenage years and up to mid-twenties, but, slowly just stopped over the last 5-6 years. I don't like the way it amplifies my (usually) sad moods and the hangovers are just way too unpleasant. My brain performs worse as well when I drink regularly, so it's not worth it. These days I might have a drink socially maybe every 3-4 months, but nothing excessive... Unless I'm in a horrible depression spiral, and I hate to admit this, but that's when I seem to want to drink everyday. Lasts about a month and then I stop again. It seems to allow me to express emotion I can't otherwise.

A few studies have found that the rate of addiction among autistics is twice what it is among NTs.

I don't drink and don't have a problem with alcohol, but I've recognized that I can't do anything without going completely overboard, so I try to limit the things I start to things that won't be disastrous if I overdo them.

A few studies have found that the rate of addiction among autistics is twice what it is among NTs.

I don't drink and don't have a problem with alcohol, but I've recognized that I can't do anything without going completely overboard, so I try to limit the things I start to things that won't be disastrous if I overdo them.
agree agree agree. Always overboard. That's me with about anything.

If I ever drank, it was specifically to get drunk to end the pain of my daily life. I try to avoid it, because i would just abuse it.

Smart move, in that video I did aknowledge not all people can handle alcohol, even there are people who are neurotypical can't.

It all depends how the perdpe would feel.

Allright, I'll do the "unpopular opinion" thing here.

As alchohol goes, I never touch it. Never have, never will. I dont see the point. Everything it does seems detrimental. And when I watch others around me have any, well... lets just say it doesnt exactly increase my respect for them much, to see how they act when they're under the effects. It makes me want to repeatedly do a facepalm instead. And if I did said facepalm hard enough to do it justice, the shockwave would knock down a wall or two.

Honestly I've always found the whole thing utterly baffling. It's essentially a potion that makes you slower, dumber, more clumsy, and much easier to fool, for the duration of it's effect. And can then have dramatically worse effects over time. That's literally what it does. Why in the numerous hells would I ever willingly drink that? It sounds like something an evil wizard would concoct. And it's considered "social" to briefly make yourself into an uncoordinated moron via this stuff? I genuinely dont want to know what kind of backwards logic led to THAT idea. And all of this in a world so extremely focused on travel via car/truck, no less, where the effects can not just get YOU killed, but could get everyone else killed. And where that, indeed, frequently happens.

I dont get to make the rules though, so the way I look at it overall is that if others want to drink it, well.. whatever. That's not my problem (particularly considering that I only drive on backroads, so I dont have to deal with other drivers much). To each their own and blah blah blah. But they can all stay the heck away from me while doing so (no, seriously, I *will* leave my current location, wherever that is, the moment the drinking starts... no exceptions. I really dont have the undying patience necessary to deal with the results. This absolutely includes things like important family events and things like that).

On top of all of that, the stuff smells like cat pee to me. So there's another detail everyone needed to hear.

There, I've been thoroughly unpleasant here, you're welcome.

I absolutely HATE being drunk. I don't mind getting a buzz on with 2-3 drinks every once in a blue moon, but getting hammered? Not for me, lol. Although I will drink a little more if I'm trying to relax enough in a social setting to do things like dance.

Allright, I'll do the "unpopular opinion" thing here.

As alchohol goes, I never touch it. Never have, never will. I dont see the point. Everything it does seems detrimental. And when I watch others around me have any, well... lets just say it doesnt exactly increase my respect for them much, to see how they act when they're under the effects. It makes me want to repeatedly do a facepalm instead. And if I did said facepalm hard enough to do it justice, the shockwave would knock down a wall or two.

Honestly I've always found the whole thing utterly baffling. It's essentially a potion that makes you slower, dumber, more clumsy, and much easier to fool, for the duration of it's effect. And can then have dramatically worse effects over time. That's literally what it does. Why in the numerous hells would I ever willingly drink that? It sounds like something an evil wizard would concoct. And it's considered "social" to briefly make yourself into an uncoordinated moron via this stuff? I genuinely dont want to know what kind of backwards logic led to THAT idea. And all of this in a world so extremely focused on travel via car/truck, no less, where the effects can not just get YOU killed, but could get everyone else killed. And where that, indeed, frequently happens.

I dont get to make the rules though, so the way I look at it overall is that if others want to drink it, well.. whatever. That's not my problem (particularly considering that I only drive on backroads, so I dont have to deal with other drivers much). To each their own and blah blah blah. But they can all stay the heck away from me while doing so (no, seriously, I *will* leave my current location, wherever that is, the moment the drinking starts... no exceptions. I really dont have the undying patience necessary to deal with the results. This absolutely includes things like important family events and things like that).

On top of all of that, the stuff smells like cat pee to me. So there's another detail everyone needed to hear.

There, I've been thoroughly unpleasant here, you're welcome.

Now, just for fun, look at it from a different perspective!

Anxiety is an epidemic. Anxious when you go outside? Anxious when you meet new people? Anxious around crowds? Anxious when you talk to boys/girls? Anxious for no reason?

Drink this and the anxiety is gone!

Now it sounds like a potion made by the world's savior. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom