• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and addiction recovery

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
In the 12 step circles, people can talk in a way that is incredibly blunt, and now I realize that I have been taking things that say personally because I take their words as a literal attack. Even when it is not intended to be taken that way most of the time.

Therapists have shown me that their words are not necessarily attacks. But my brain automatically goes into defense mode when I hear a blunt statement about how I could be working my recovery better.

I am staying sober in my 12 step program, but I also do tend to do things that are detrimental to my recovery. Such as spending countless hours isolating and playing my gaming consoles, but a part of me wants to blame COVID for that.

Besides, how can I write the next great American novel (Mommie Dearest II) if all I do outside of my job is gaming?

Anybody else here know about how autism can filter things people say about recovery in an unintended negative light?

My childhood kinda of led to sensitivity in this arena. We visualize the entire world at an Olympic event just watching and waiting for us to fail. Believe that this is a parenting style that my parents excelled at. So l hope you are reprogramming yourself. You can reach for the gold metal. A lot of successful people take the bad and turn it into Mommy Dearest, horror films, great books.....

I don't know if this is an autism issue at all, it sounds more like a person who had to be very defensive in the past. If you had someone ridiculing you a lot for a long time, that kind of defense behavior is hard to give up. It is possible though if you can make yourself stop taking everything personally.

Good luck with your recovery. I'm about 7 years clean, with no support system. I'd say make good use of the help you can get if you can.

Out of interest, why do the suggest video games could be bad for your recovery? With regards to being defensive - didn't you say your family has been less than supportive and critical of you? Perhaps reactions to people in the 12 Step programme is a continuation of the thought processes that you developed in reaction to your family.

I myself am terrible when it comes to criticism or when someone assumes something about me. Putting words in my mouth is a bad move. Annother common response I hear from people is: "you don't have to get angry." I never feel like my tone was aggressive. However, now they've assumed I am angry - it triggers an instant and overwhelming anger within.

So then, it feels like they've "won" because they assumed I was angry, and then I play right into their hand. I have to bite my tongue, often resorting to saying "I'm not angry" which is said in such a way that it's clear I am upset. But I can't help feeling like "you did this." Of course, I did it to myself - some people might be able to react to the initial situation without it getting them upset, but that's not me.

With regards to criticism or difference of opinion - I feel a similar internal trigger. It's split second and is very energetic and intense. A mix between anger, confusion and outrage. But I keep it internalised for the most part, unless I'm around someone I know very well. Still, I've learned that people prefer social niceties and people's reactions to my outbursts are never positive. So, as with a lot of things in life I push it down - keep the mask up and suffer through the discomfort. Agree to disagree - it helps keeps the peace.

Still, I can't say for certain if how I react or overreact to people is part of the spectrum or not. All I know is - it's part of who I am. It has improved in recent years, but my instinctive reaction to negative comments, difficult people or overstimulating situations is often a very strong and overwhelming one.

I too spend most of my free time gaming. With sobriety I find I game less, but I'm still infront of the computer during 95% of my free time. Asides from food, or going out shopping or maybe for the occasional walk to the park to staff. Other than that - it's always sat infront of the screen.

I'll admit, substances helped keep gaming going, because I was burning out with that hobby for quite a few years now. Increasingly finding less and less games provided any satisfaction or enjoyment.

A few years ago, I worked a shift pattern job - 4 days on and 4 off. For 2 years I put in 60+ hours a week with gaming. I suppose it's no wonder I burnt out.

These days I'd say about 60% of my free time is gaming. The rest is online is spent on messenger, forums, collecting music, or reading books and Wikipedia.

The one thing I wish is that people would listen though. I tell people I work with every time they ask what I've been up to on a weekend that I don't go out and I spend the entire time on the computer. Still the same question asked, every week. Asking me the same question over 53 times is not a good way to get me in a good mood or earn my respect.

Ed

Last edited:
Sounds like the gaming has a function for you, maybe like a mix of a protective buffer you can safely lose yourself in, familiar reassurance, entertainment, a transitional, less harmful alternative 'addiction'? It's not in itself a life plan, but it works as a temporary support.

There's covid as you say, plus maybe a mix of autistic and recovery behaviour and strategies there, it seems OK to me, short term at that level and medium to long term at a lesser level, we all need our comfort places.

Seriously getting down to writing when you have to work for a living is tricky, and probably you'd need to be settled and then to identify and make some clear available spaces to do it. However, writing a novel for example, depends on many components, like original and interesting style and use of language, realistic dialogue, pacing, character development, structure, plotting etc etc.

All of these can be researched and practised, that could be done in some of the gaming time. Plus writing skills can be developed in short pieces and you are already practicing in the course of other writing such as film reviews, and hey, posting on forums.

I think @Major Tom made a good point about the defensiveness, I resonated with that as my father was rather critical and probably with high autistic traits or Aspergers plus defensive himself, as his father was highly critical and probably with high autistic traits or Aspergers himself and who knows how far back... so I think there's both autism and others behaviour involved probably.

I am less defensive than I used to be, I have done a lot of personal therapy and some work on turning down the volume of parental voices that I had taken in and had become part of my own self-talk. An old but good book that helped with this was Born to Win, it's an old Transactional analysis text, by Dorothy Jongeward and Muriel James.

Ah ok, I was looking at Play Books. I'll see if I can find a digital copy for Amazon Kindle app on my phone.

Ed

In the 12 step circles, people can talk in a way that is incredibly blunt, and now I realize that I have been taking things that say personally because I take their words as a literal attack. Even when it is not intended to be taken that way most of the time.

Therapists have shown me that their words are not necessarily attacks. But my brain automatically goes into defense mode when I hear a blunt statement about how I could be working my recovery better.

I am staying sober in my 12 step program, but I also do tend to do things that are detrimental to my recovery. Such as spending countless hours isolating and playing my gaming consoles, but a part of me wants to blame COVID for that.

Besides, how can I write the next great American novel (Mommie Dearest II) if all I do outside of my job is gaming?

Anybody else here know about how autism can filter things people say about recovery in an unintended negative light?

I don't know about addiction other than smoking. I was a hardcore smoker through. I stopped on my own, using nothing to replace it or whatever.

I also take things as personal attacks easily because I don't understand other people's intentions well. I try to refocus on whether the person is trying to help or trying to attack. If the person is trying to help that changes my reaction of defensiveness, althrough it might not change that I have a different point of view. That's how I try to make the difference between a toxic person I don't compromise with and a non toxic person who just has a different approach. That being said, you have to be very very very logical and observant in order to differenciate those stuffs and rely a lot on a sense of fairness/judgement of what someone does or says is right or wrong. Someone can say something to me that's wrong or unfair but yet not have bad intentions. Someone can say the same stuffs with the intention to disorient me, manipulate me, play with me, and so on. Either the person tries to help and CARES, either the person doesn't. That's how I check if someone's behaviour is toxic or on me to compromise with. I don't either need to compromise with anyone just because people try to help. I don't need to compromise with someone I completely disagree with even if the person hasn't bad intentions. That's a choice.
Yet, I also go into defense mode automatically. I think what matters is to stick by your judgement, but you don't necessarily need to defend or justify anything. You need to defend when you're in presence of toxic people who try to cross boundaries. You can also make your boundaries clearer with people, so they're aware this is something that's not up for discussion, that prevents them. I do apologize or ask precisions on other's intentions quiet often. Someone made a comment about me last time, and I had to ask precisions about his thinking + tell clearly that this was something out of questionability. I can make compromises, but some stuffs are "take it or leave it" now. I don't need to answer favoribly to everyone, even well intentioned.
Yes people aren't necessarily attacking, yet that doesn't mean you need to accept everything. I don't need to hear people think out loud about something they don't understand and I can't change - nor have any interest to change. I don't care.
Telling me I need a boyfriend in my life is something I tell people is out of their control now, I don't want to hear anything they think about my choice. It's my boundaries, I don't care if they mean that in a good way or weren't attacking or whatever, I make it politely clear : my choice, not your business. Now, I will tro to care and express myself differently if it's someone I know doesn't want to hurt me and just lacks understanding VS someone trying to destabilize me and being highly judgemental and unfair and uncompassionate.

Video games : I don't see the link with recovery. Maybe it's a copying behaviour that's actually helpful in this period you're living. Who knows? It's difficult to do everything all at once, you can't rationally ask yourself to stop drinking + stop playing video games + change home + cook + do EVERYTHING the way that's so called healthy for you. It might just not fit you, or at least not everything all at once. That's how it works for me. If I had to do all that, I would end up in burn out very fast. Healthy isn't it? So I just have periods I'm focused on something and periods I'm focused on an other. You don't need to blame yourself if it takes time and if you can't do everything perfectly as people believe everyone should be living. Who can judge that? If your will is to not play it's different, but if your will is to play and that it feels nice, I don't see the purpose of being ashamed of this behaviour. Who cares. If you do then do somthing about it, but it's different than if it's just something that's been told by others. I also play games, I enjoy it, I don't care if others think "you'd rather ..........." . They don't live in my body. Yes, I'd rather. Sure.
I'm very aware of what type of games I play and try to care about the repetition because I get too addicted. I don't play games I really enjoy, I play games that I enjoy less because I have no control. But that's my decision, it has nothing to do with what people think about my behaviour or the life I should be living.

I think I've also heard so much in my life that what I'm doing is wrong that I react very negatively and I do have an aversion when people say that it's wrong again. Althrough I can hear a good advice, I have clearly developed an aversion for that. I do have to think about setting clear boundaries of things I'm not okay to let others walk on, because until now all I was teached was having no boundaries at all and muzzle myself and accept everything. I think setting boundaries and making them clear not only prevents abuse, but also helps in being clear with others and more authentic in the relationship. Otherwise, everyone knows how you need to modificate your life and behaviour. Everyone knows but you!!! Lol. And then it's again and again stuffs about what you're doing wrong and blablabla, and because you don't know where your boundaries are nor how to place them and developed this aversion for negative comments, it's just a nightmare to deal with. I mean, that's what happens for me. Now either I hear something clever that can be helpful, either people are allowed to have their opinions, but I don't need it, thanks, who are they to know better in the end. Now it's like that otherwise I can never live.

Last edited:
So many people want to tell me or advise that l need this, that or the other. Like some how my life isn't complete because l don't live social norms. For a female it means you have to throw yourself at an available male. Screw that, there are quite a few females are okay without endless parades of men in and out of their life. Nor do l feel l have to be with a male to conserve funds. If l want to play video games or computer games, that's my business , not yours. I have so many people trying to tell me what to do. And it's worse since l have become older. My life shouldn't be that interesting, you need to get a life strange random man, and get out of my life and my business. To the poster, stand up for yourself and realize you are able to do just fine on your own.

So many people want to tell me or advise that l need this, that or the other. Like some how my life isn't complete because l don't live social norms. For a female it means you have to throw yourself at an available male. Screw that, there are quite a few females are okay without endless parades of men in and out of their life. Nor do l feel l have to be with a male to conserve funds. If l want to play video games or computer games, that's my business , not yours. I have so many people trying to tell me what to do. And it's worse since l have become older. My life shouldn't be that interesting, you need to get a life strange random man, and get out of my life and my business. To the poster, stand up for yourself and realize you are able to do just fine on your own.

I agree. Just like having kids or not. Having none isn't enough, having one not enough either, having more is too much and you're not even doing it right, I mean, it's impossible to deal with other people's opinions about your life and what you do and don't do. You can really end up miserable and mad easily because it's not something you can deal with.

I'd say for the 12 step circles and therapists, take what you've got to take, but set personal boundaries and personal choices, stuffs you want to change but don't feel ready to change at the moment, use your own judgement, and take what's actually helpful for you. You're not anyone nor an other person, your life is different too, and that's not bad. You don't actually need to defend yourself unless people cross the boundaries you set personally and have to reassert them. That's the only solution I came up with for this problem, althrough I might not be right. But it's really impossible to deal with what people think of you and your lifestyle, I'm sure about it.

There is no wrong way to become and remain sober. I know the recovery community can be harsh. NPR is doing a whole series on the blatant insanity of the recovery movement going all the way back to the 70s. You do what YOU must do.

American Rehab | Reveal

Thanks for all of the insights. For me, the problem is that I have been using gaming as a way to procrastinate on my self care, which is not a healthy way to go about it. Also, my 12 step friends are sometimes more spot on when talking to me than I want to admit. There is a comfort in putting my life dreams on hold, because change takes actual work. Sometimes they are wrong, but they are correct about the gaming in my case.

The problem with a desire for change is often having a lofty ambition. We'd like the change to be sudden and miraculous. In reality - even putting an hour aside each day would make a big change.

You could even break it down into two 30 minute segments a day. Just picture it - how much you could accomplish in a year, with 365 hours focused on something you want to do.

I would recommend caution though - I know how it can be when something feels good, and you chase it. But if you were to go from say 1 hour a day to 2, within a short period of time - it could result in burn out. Slow and steady. Let a new routine sit with you for a couple of months, and see how it goes.

Creativity is tricky though - if you're not in the mood, it can be very difficult to force it. In those times, I'd recommend research. Reading and gathering information or possible ideas around themes etc. It'll all help towards your end goal.

Ed

There are different styles of recovery. I never responded well to the "sit down and shut up" style, where people take a stern parental approach that I find can easily cross the line into abusiveness. I prefer the style of recovery where its about Live and Let Live, and people are about encouragement and tolerance. But people in recovery tend to treat newcomers in the way they themselves were treated, and because it worked for them. After all, they are still clean and sober. So i look for people, and meetings, that are a good fit for me. Meetings, even whole areas, tend to have distinct personalities . Look for the ones that help you and fit you best.

The problem with a desire for change is often having a lofty ambition. We'd like the change to be sudden and miraculous. In reality - even putting an hour aside each day would make a big change.

You could even break it down into two 30 minute segments a day. Just picture it - how much you could accomplish in a year, with 365 hours focused on something you want to do.

I would recommend caution though - I know how it can be when something feels good, and you chase it. But if you were to go from say 1 hour a day to 2, within a short period of time - it could result in burn out. Slow and steady. Let a new routine sit with you for a couple of months, and see how it goes.

Creativity is tricky though - if you're not in the mood, it can be very difficult to force it. In those times, I'd recommend research. Reading and gathering information or possible ideas around themes etc. It'll all help towards your end goal.

Ed

I am guilty of having ridiculously lofty goals in building myself up. From living in a perpetually spotless apartment to writing several reviews a week to being a lot more physically active to eating a perfectly clean and healthy diet to being 1000% fiscally responsible. I go for all these things at once and usually fail miserably.

I am guilty of having ridiculously lofty goals in building myself up. From living in a perpetually spotless apartment to writing several reviews a week to being a lot more physically active to eating a perfectly clean and healthy diet to being 1000% fiscally responsible. I go for all these things at once and usually fail miserably.

Maybe you can list stuffs you're ready to take action upon now and are priorities, stuffs that you want to but are for the future because not 100% priorities now, stuffs you need to evacuate because they'd be more a charge, stuffs you want to really achieve in your life personally, and stuffs that you judge not that well but are still helpful for you and nice to be part of your life (so maybe you can reduce them but also keep it). I don't know if that helps.
- What do you need to do to live in an apartment that would be acceptable for you? Maybe you can break the tasks down, see how you can organize during the week so that it's acceptable for you. But I think you will have to compromise on this one, spotless all the time and without someone to come to clean is a lot of work.
- Same for physical activity, what does that mean materially to you do be physically active? Is it walking? Running? Can you have a very low expectation and build it slowly for the start instead of "a lot more"?
- Same for eating healthy, think about how you plan to make things happen and I think starting slow, compromising but seeing it happen - even a tiny bit - is a success.
- Same about money.

I also dream of a perpetually spotless apartment. I love it. Well, it's not happening, honestly too much work. So it's just correct most of the time, and sometimes it's a disaster before I take action again.
I walk a lot during the day - from 1 to 4 hours of walk. I still don't consider that as enough physical activity. But I noticed I have periods in which I'm able to exercise more, and periods where I need to rest and slow down. I compromise and go at my own rhythm.
I like eating healthy because this really supports my system. That's something I rarely compromise with because it's on my top priorities. I want 5 fuits and vegetables per day at least, I count, and I don't compromise with that. I do compromise when I have PMS about eating unhealthy stuffs (maybe I want a huge hamburger or something), it's a psychological war I'm not willing to take then. But still, I make myself eat those fruits and vegetables.
I'm not fiscally responsible at the moment and I need to be patient. That's life.

I think it's good that you're willingful, but maybe compromising with some things and not sending yourself and all the efforts you're willing to make to failure is a better move. You know better yourself and what won't work. As I age I know what's not going to work for me. I don't believe unnecessary struggle ever helped me.

Last edited:
Maybe you can list stuffs you're ready to take action upon now and are priorities, stuffs that you want to but are for the future because not 100% priorities now, stuffs you need to evacuate because they'd be more a charge, stuffs you want to really achieve in your life personally, and stuffs that you judge not that well but are still helpful for you and nice to be part of your life (so maybe you can reduce them but also keep it). I don't know if that helps.
- What do you need to do to live in an apartment that would be acceptable for you? Maybe you can break the tasks down, see how you can organize during the week so that it's acceptable for you. But I think you will have to compromise on this one, spotless all the time and without someone to come to clean is a lot of work.
- Same for physical activity, what does that mean materially to you do be physically active? Is it walking? Running? Can you have a very low expectation and build it slowly for the start instead of "a lot more"?
- Same for eating healthy, think about how you plan to make things happen and I think starting slow, compromising but seeing it happen - even a tiny bit - is a success.
- Same about money.

I also dream of a perpetually spotless apartment. I love it. Well, it's not happening, honestly too much work. So it's just correct most of the time, and sometimes it's a disaster before I take action again.
I walk a lot during the day - from 1 to 4 hours of walk. I still don't consider that as enough physical activity. But I noticed I have periods in which I'm able to exercise more, and periods where I need to rest and slow down. I compromise and go at my own rhythm.
I like eating healthy because this really supports my system. That's something I rarely compromise with because it's on my top priorities. I want 5 fuits and vegetables per day at least, I count, and I don't compromise with that. I do compromise when I have PMS about eating unhealthy stuffs (maybe I want a huge hamburger or something), it's a psychological war I'm not willing to take then. But still, I make myself eat those fruits and vegetables.
I'm not fiscally responsible at the moment and I need to be patient. That's life.

I think it's good that you're willingful, but maybe compromising with some things and not sending yourself and all the efforts you're willing to make to failure is a better move. You know better yourself and what won't work. As I age I know what's not going to work for me. I don't believe unnecessary struggle ever helped me.

Think your post points out that with age our priorities change. And our list of must do's changes to fit because we are constantly evolving. So a spotless apartment that mattered 2 weeks ago may change into re: tweaking our resume, talking to a friend who is suffering difficulties, taking a relative to the store. We shift, we ebb, and more importantly- we free ourselves.

New Threads

Top Bottom