• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
I sometimes listen to a podcast by retired Navy SEAL Jocko Willink, whom I realize might be a controversial figure, he has said some controversial things in the past. However one thing he has emphasized since I started listening to him, is the indirect approach, advancing on things indirectly, it's a brilliant tactic that has been promoted by many military geniuses throughout history, including of course, Sun Tzu. I wonder if there are ways to incorporate this into Autism Advocacy and the push for Autism Acceptance; for example plan on hiding the fact that the characters in my novel are Autistic until around chapter 5; what are some other ways we can use the indirect approach to promote Autism Acceptance?

I do think there are two approaches, and I have used them. For example, there are many of us that were diagnosed late in life. Professionally, after being an expert, an educator, a mentor,...and then, having some people discover I was autistic really didn't change things for us. The relationships are the same. Personally,...family wasn't so accepting in the sense that they literally didn't believe it at first,...but slowly coming around to accepting it. That's a whole different issue. As an educator dealing with my students, I am pretty free with admitting to being autistic and what that may mean for us interacting,...so far, it has been a "non issue".

So, with regards to being "direct" and up front with things at the beginning,...or being "indirect" by establishing a relationship, then bringing the autism topic in later,...it can work,...or not work depending upon those relationships. Everyone's personal situation(s) are their own, so no advice here.

New Threads

Top Bottom