• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism: A mother's journey

Tigris

by Siti Zulaiha
04:45 AM Jul 23, 2011

"Maybe he's late because he's the youngest or maybe we have pampered him too much or maybe he's just not ready," I wondered. Why doesn't my son talk when he is already two years old?

And why does he always find it hard to sleep no matter how sleepy he is? I decided to research into sleeping difficulties but, instead, came across autism. That was when my world came crashing down. Everything fell into place.

After more than a year since his official diagnosis, my heart still breaks. But I do not blame anyone and try to find the cause of it anymore. My research shows there is a high chance for learning abilities if autism is detected early and that it is best "tackled" before the age of three. We enrolled our son in the Early Intervention Programme for Infants and Children (EIPIC) run by the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports. The waiting list was terrible.

In the meantime, I attended a few talks and courses to understand autism. One seminar I attended was by Dr Wendy Lawson, a PhD holder in psychology. She has autism. Her husband and two sons are also autistic.

She opened my heart towards understanding autism: Autism is not a disease or a disability. Those with it are just humans with a different view of life. Problems arise when they do not understand our views and rules. That is what therapies are for.

She explained the pain of having to deal with sensory issues. It is as if their five senses are "superpowers". Now I know why my son may not like to step on sand or why he flaps his arms.

When the MCYS still did not have any vacancies, I tried to put him in private EIPIC centres. The fees were exorbitant: From $2,000 to $3,600 a month.

We are average income-earners. Yes, we live in a five-room flat and are fortunate enough to afford a car and a maid. However, there is no way we can get the extra money for his therapy. We have been unable to sell the car. We cannot downgrade our flat because we have just moved in.

The MCYS EIPIC was our only hope and once my son was placed there, the world became brighter. He is so smart. He has started to talk. The sweetest word that has come from his lips is "Mum". But EIPIC, however effective, still cannot afford to give each child the recommended amount of therapy: 33 hours a week. My three-and-a-half-year-old son is now getting 10 hours.

Because of the long waiting list, desperate parents are trying other methods that are not recognised, such as craniosacral therapy and special dieting. We make our children guinea pigs for their own good.

Society can be cruel to those who are different and I wish I can be my son's bodyguard forever. Will the world ever be ready to open its arms for the likes of him?

New Threads

Top Bottom