• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aural Distraction

Gisborough

If being distracted by extraneous noises is a feature of autism (in some forms), is there a solution?

Could there be a device that you put in your ear that would filter out background noises?

(Non-autistics might also be interested.)

I use my shooting headphones for more than shooting. They allow for normal conversation but will block very loud noises. When I was working I used them a lot, because sometimes I worked in very noisy places. They are also adjustable for just about any situation.

Noise-cancelling headphones have already been mentioned, but I find that the ear bud varieties block all outside noise for me. Not so safe out and around but good for being in a car, public transit, or a plane.

At age 12, I just used cotton stuffed in my ears because I didn't want to tell my parents about
the sensory problem. It was hid under my long hair.
Later it became less bothersome and I found soft earplugs were good.
Now in older age, it rarely even bothers me.

I've always had these sensory issues, especially with light and sound. Now, since my diagnosis, I tend to pay more attention to it and it seems to bother me more. Having said that, perhaps there is some of that aging brain thing going on, as well. Sensory issues seem to be getting worse,...it was one on a list of things that triggered me to seek out my diagnosis.

New Threads

Top Bottom