• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Attracting someone

SimonSays

Van Dweller
V.I.P Member
I've never needed many friends. In fact just one will usually do. It has to be the right one though, and if it is, no one else is necessary. That's usually how it's worked for me.

For the last few years I've had nobody in my life, not physically anyway. Nobody I spend time with. And yet while there are times when I suppose I could say I miss the company of a friend, I have certainly become used to being on my own.

I'm not alone as I live in a shared house, and aside from hearing their presence, or occasionally seeing them in the kitchen, they don't exist for me. I quite like being around people I don't have to be friends with. That is new for me. I don't know much about my housemates. It creates the feeling of solitude I seem to need.

I have a need to be left alone, which explains why I never attempt to engage. Rather than seek out friendship, I would prefer to attract it, and I can only do that if I’m in an attractive state, first. Otherwise I simply won't attract someone, or worse, I’ll attract the wrong someone.

This is not a proactive intention on my part, only a recognition of a possibility. The fact is that I do seem to work best alone, and in the past, when I've felt loneliness, I’ve actively intended things to change. And they have, but not always in ways I was expecting them to. Not in ways that actually benefited me.

I believe no experience is ever wasted. There is something to gain from anything that takes place. But at some point I'm hoping to be attractive again. Not in an ‘active intention from someone else’ kind of way, but the result of our vibrations attracting each other to each other in that magical way it can.

I certainly don't put myself out there. I'm not trying to make something happen. So there's no telling when or if it will occur. And I have to be okay with that. In fact I have to let go of the whole idea really. I can't attract something while at the same time trying to make it happen. I can only attract something I'm ready to experience.

I'm not sure what you mean. What are you looking to attract? Just a friend to do things and spend some time with or do you mean someone to be in a romantic relationship with?

It appears that the passive approach seems to be common here. I found out that such did not work for me and it was pretty dysfunctional when at the time I felt like I was the type of person who had a good future and many interests yet went unnoticed. Things only changed when I started engaging with others, at work and with the activity groups I participated in. It afforded me the social practice and In the activity groups people would seek me out as a trip leader. Despite that, when I wanted to find a relationship, especially an intimate relationship, I had to be active in my approach. Overcoming great anxiety and an expectation of rejection, I met my spouse by contacting her to ride share to a trail maintenance project. I surprised myself at that, and the result is 43 years of being together in mutual support.

Last edited:
I never put myself out there intentionally looking for friendship or a romantic relation either.
If it happened, it happened. If it didn't, it didn't. It didn't matter.

The group gatherings or meet and greet scenes were never my thing.
The connection was formed through everyday interactions or not at all.
Passive approach is a good way to put it.
I'll never be one to make the first interaction.

I spent nearly 25 years in a foul relationship with my ex husband. By the time I finally divorced him I was ready for a real friend and actively sought one by internet dating.

Still, I wanted a real friend so I was perfectly content to just it happen at it's own pace. If I found a friend, great! If I didn't, that was great too!

There are times when I wish I could be more independant with the pace of life but seldom. I am very lucky that my husband and I suit each other so well! He is very similar to myself in many ways so we are supportive of one another. I can be completely myself. I would accept nothing less.

Well I have input the pertinant data and allowed the brain a good ammount of process time. The #1 solution I can suggest is to become an Asian Makeup Influencer. This should draw a pool of followers to large enough to include at least one kindred spirit.

images (6).jpg

;)

Oh dear. Passive person? Yes, l really don't go out and slam myself on people. And my longest relationships are with a passive type person. It doesn't bother me, but my ex is somewhat passive also but it took this late in life to figure me out and those in my inner circle. Now when l look back, my best relationships were always with passive men, (friends or boyfriends) because they aren't controlling.

The best thing? No arguing with this type. Just stating how we feel. Please don't argue with me and we can be friends forever.

The flip side is l can come across a bit wishywashy as a passive friend but l accept that in me. I don't judge others or myself.

I personally like more personal friendships, and throughout that journey, I definitely have many setbacks. Sometimes, I wonder if I went wrong. Usually something that built up good or kind of good soured later on is what happened. You sound like you're okay with building friendships, but you don't make an effort to initiate and you want things to be as natural as possible. That's good that you are okay with it, but that you don't try to force it either.

The only way, the absolute only way, you are going to attract someone using the passive approach is to make yourself as attractive a man (or woman) as you can be.

New Threads

Top Bottom