• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Attended a book club Meet Up event

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
Earlier in the month, I saw that a book club meets in the city next to the one I live in. Until yesterday, I didn’t think of going but I remembered that yesterday was the day they were supposed to meet and I decided to go so I could do something social while still being careful with the status quo and have something to report to my therapist.

The place was at a coffee house I had been to before. I arrived early because I needed both some caffeine to give me a boost since I had gotten off work earlier as well as some food since I hadn’t eaten since breakfast. I waited for the host and it turns out she had been there shortly after I arrived but I didn’t recognize her since she wasn’t wearing glasses in her Meet Up profile while she was wearing them personally. She was very welcoming and one of her friends showed up soon. She also had another friend who was communicating through video with us.

We talked some shop before it was time to discuss the book that was the main idea of the event. I hadn’t read the book but listened with interest the best I could. After that, we chatted some more before everyone had to go their separate ways.

I am glad I went and it was nice to have something positive happen after a rough start to the year.

That sounds good, and I bet they're honored to have a library guy there. Raises the tone for them! Hope they're choosing some good reads, and if not you are well placed to advise.

This kind of event is often doable even for those of us who can't cope with unstructured social interaction, but I find that initial meeting hard to face all the same, well done for braving it!

New Threads

Top Bottom