• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

At long last

wanderer03

I got some fantastic news. I finally have a regular schedule at work now. My boss told me that I could have the corporate shuttle that I really like which runs from Monday through Friday. Wahoo! Two drivers quit, I moved up the seniority list and now I have a route of my own. This means I can quit my other job and establish a routine in my life. As I become an older Aspie, I'm finding comfort in routine and I'm not as adaptable to change.

I got some fantastic news. I finally have a regular schedule at work now. My boss told me that I could have the corporate shuttle that I really like which runs from Monday through Friday. Wahoo! Two drivers quit, I moved up the seniority list and now I have a route of my own. This means I can quit my other job and establish a routine in my life. As I become an older Aspie, I'm finding comfort in routine and I'm not as adaptable to change.

Congratulations, that has to be really good feeling.

Thank you! I really like working for 3 hours in the morning and 3.5 hours in the late afternoon. It's nice to have a large chunk of time off during the day. Maybe I finally have a gig that suits me?

I also hope that having a routine will lessen the depression and its associated effects. Depression is such a bloody curse and I'd like to keep it in check.

It must be great to finally be employed again. What's it like working in the transportion industry? How is the workplace In terms of being Aspie friendly?

It's surprisingly aspie friendly and disability friendly. There are two drivers with cerebral palsy. Of course I don't disclose the disability but the job in general appeals to folks that aren't necessarily people people. I think there are two other drivers that might be on the spectrum.

That makes sense. I don't disclose my autism to my employer or college either it's too risky. I live in a work at will state. I've been laided off before its awful especially with no prior warning.

I think you are very lucky. :)

Congratulations!

I can empathize about wanting a "regular routine," because for most of the last year, my rent/expenses were changing monthly and all I asked was for someone to give me a figure that I could "count on" every month. I never realized how badly a "lack of routine," set me off, probably because it doesn't happen much, and I am usually about to "go with the flow."

It took 8 months to get it, but now I have a routine, too! Yahoo!

Congratulations!

I can empathize about wanting a "regular routine," because for most of the last year, my rent/expenses were changing monthly and all I asked was for someone to give me a figure that I could "count on" every month. I never realized how badly a "lack of routine," set me off, probably because it doesn't happen much, and I am usually about to "go with the flow."

It took 8 months to get it, but now I have a routine, too! Yahoo!
Having the routine is tons less stress.

Routine is so important to our sense of well-being! I'm really happy for you!

congratulations, well done. I'm really pleased you're optimistic with the situation :)
If you don't mind me asking Wanderer, and in no way are you obliged to answer, being an older Aspie, how do you personally see or cope with less of a routine in the workplace?

I'm interested for my own use. tips and techniques to adapt and cope. (Not walk out because I can't cope)

New Threads

Top Bottom