• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asynchronous development (IQ spread)

PastelPetals

V.I.P Member
I have never had just one IQ score. With my highest being 132 and the others ranging from 89-82 there is no way to have an accurate average. I know that autistic people often have a gap in skills but I have never known anybody with an iq spread like mine. If you relate how do you get people to understand? People often treat me like I am so smart I must never need help or that I am so dumb that I need all the help. Can't people accept that it's both? Everyone has strengths and weaknesses mine are just more extreme. I must say I have more issue with people thinking I need less help than I do when they first meet me. I come across shy and maybe awkward but I use big words and that distracts them.

I have never had just one IQ score. With my highest being 132 and the others ranging from 89-82 there is no way to have an accurate average. I know that autistic people often have a gap in skills but I have never known anybody with an iq spread like mine.

If you relate how do you get people to understand? People often treat me like I am so smart I must never need help or that I am so dumb that I need all the help. Can't people accept that it's both? Everyone has strengths and weaknesses mine are just more extreme. I must say I have more issue with people thinking I need less help than I do when they first meet me. I come across shy and maybe awkward but I use big words and that distracts them.

Us with NP diagnosis and most definetly ASD get average - 12 - 15 points lower then the average & and it has also been concluded that for us there isent possible to conclude (via said IQ tests ) the corect IQ level . The reason is that most of the IQ tests are based on executive functions in which we of course fail as its a part of our diagnosis "

The problem here is neither one of us show our diagnosis (visible) its hidden diagnose so to say . So its up to us to dare to stand up and inform the others that we actually have this diagnosis and its making us having this problems and we need help and suport.

As i also said in another thread IQ levels range from both 70 - 90 to youre levels and higher than that for us with NP diagnosis so i would dare say youre not alone to have this high levels my friend.

As for the big words and so on that only means youre higher on the verbal part of the IQ test dear ( im also high on that part (yet according the test still under but thats the one part in my IQ evalution that makes me go over 90 ) As im significantly lower then average on all others

YET here i am as well in in reel life despite my low levels of IQ and all the rest able to communicate with people WAY over my IQ levels. (wink)

I could add that every IQ online test i have takend i get 70 and i can honestly say i dont have a clue after around 5 questions when it starts to go in to the executive (paterns ) functions . Im compleatly lost

As i also said in another thread IQ levels range from both 70 - 90 to youre levels and higher than that for us with NP diagnosis so i would dare say youre not alone to have this high levels my friend.

As for the big words and so on that only means youre higher on the verbal part of the IQ test dear ( im also high on that part (yet according the test still under but thats the one part in my IQ evalution that makes me go over 90 ) As im significantly lower then average on all others

YET here i am as well in in reel life despite my low levels of IQ and all the rest able to communicate with people WAY over my IQ levels. (wink)

I could add that every IQ online test i have takend i get 70 and i can honestly say i dont have a clue after around 5 questions when it starts to go in to the executive (paterns ) functions . Im compleatly lost

Yes I score very high for the verbal part but low average everywhere else. I am confused by IQ and I am not sure it can mean much since I was given the average for a range meaning that some scores go as low as 77 for IQ. I guess I am ok and a number does not change much as I am already very aware of my limitations. I just find it confusing as I don't have an ID but I am kinds close but not quite but enough that it limits what I can do. Also may I ask: What is an NP diagnosis I assume NP is short for something but I don't know what.

Yes I score very high for the verbal part but low average everywhere else.

I am confused by IQ and I am not sure it can mean much since I was given the average for a range meaning that some scores go as low as 77 for IQ. I guess I am ok and a number does not change much as I am already very aware of my limitations. I just find it confusing as I don't have an ID but I am kinds close but not quite but enough that it limits what I can do.

Also may I ask: What is an NP diagnosis I assume NP is short for something but I don't know what.

Same here but as i said im still according to them below average even on that ) all else im significantly lower then average ( Wais 3 test )

Actually they have takend down the importance of lower then 70 IQ to get a ID diagnose. They have put more on that you have to have significantly lower executive /adaptive functions . As i said my friend for us IQ levels cant be measured with any reliability BUT in youre case i would dare say youre most likely actually even higher then the 130 .

NP stands for Neuro psychological And NP diagnosis is Neoro psychological diagnosis (and ASD as well as ADHD and many of the co morbid diagnosis to this diagnosis also goes under this )

Same here but as i said im still according to them below average even on that ) all else im significantly lower then average ( Wais 3 test )

Actually they have takend down the importance of lower then 70 IQ to get a ID diagnose. They have put more on that you have to have significantly lower executive /adaptive functions . As i said my friend for us IQ levels cant be measured with any reliability BUT in youre case i would dare say youre most likely actually even higher then the 130 .

NP stands for Neuro psychological And NP diagnosis is Neoro psychological diagnosis (and ASD as well as ADHD and many of the co morbid diagnosis to this diagnosis also goes under this )
Ah yeah thank you for clarifying I have both asd and adhd so this is a good term to know.
Yes numbers when it comes to IQ just don't seem to show much of a good picture for me. I have told many people thing work just fine in my brain for many things (not math) but I have such trouble translating it out. However with my functioning I am currently needing a high level of support so IQ does not seem to matter anyway if I can't use it to do much.

Ah yeah thank you for clarifying I have both asd and adhd so this is a good term to know.
Yes numbers when it comes to IQ just don't seem to show much of a good picture for me. I have told many people thing work just fine in my brain for many things (not math) but I have such trouble translating it out.
However with my functioning I am currently needing a high level of support so IQ does not seem to matter anyway if I can't use it to do much.

Youre very welcome

That’s sadly how our shared diagnosis work my friend

You will learn and adapt as you get older and be more confident in youre own capabilities . I did it took me MANY years and I can assure you I had all odds stacked against me from the so called experts. You may not go as high as completely independent (neither have I , nor will I ever ) but as time goes on you will get better in youre own capabilities

Sadly that’s how our shared diagnosis work im afraid. & from what I have read about you since we first met (in here ) id say you have even higher odds then me to improve in youre skills and all the rest my young friend.

This all can be explained by how the brain develops in the autistic. What you are describing is one of the hallmarks of autism,..."asymmetrical intelligence". How can a person have a photographic memory or be a savant in a particular area, yet have significant difficulties with the basics of daily living activities?

If you have studied the research on autism as it pertains to neuro-imaging, then things become quite apparent. Regardless of the underlying causes,...and this goes well beyond this discussion,...what we can see is that there is a list of things going on in the autistic brain: (1) As cells migrate from the center of the brain outward into the cortex, there is supposed to be an organized layering effect,...and in some autistic phenotypes it can be quite disorganized. (2) As cells migrate, there is also supposed to be organized functional areas,...and in some autistic phenotypes, this can be disorganized,...leading to connections where there shouldn't be,...leading to side effects like smelling color, or numbers having color, tinnitus, visual snow, tactile issues, physical coordination issues, tasting temperature,...a long list of "odd ball" sensory experiences. (3) The normal pruning of synaptic connections that occurs before the age of 5, may not happen in all the functional areas of the brain, leading to asymmetrical conduction and connection issues,...(thick wires and thin wires, some with high voltage and some with low voltage). It can lead to neurotransmitter imbalances in areas where there are "thin wires and high voltage",...and areas where there are "thick wires and low voltage", as the biochemical production of excitatory and inhibitory neurotransmitters and their metabolic co-factors may be out of balance. This is, in part, why it is very difficult to properly dial in medications,...what may help in certain areas of the brain, may create a worsening condition in another area of the brain. It also can lead to much of the "mental exhaustion" that many of us experience. It can lead to repetitive behaviors, stimming, etc. It can lead to thalamo-cortico dysrhythmias,...common ones being tinnitus and visual snow,...an inability to hold your hands steady (constant, low-level tremor), and so on. It can also lead to asymmetrical intelligences,...high-level pattern recognition, visual thinking, mathematics, music, and so on,...but have a difficult time with their daily activities.

I am sure there is much, much more to all of this, but to in order to understand how an autistic person can score very high on certain areas, and not in others,...is due to how the brain has developed.

Last edited:
I saw some of your other posts and they really resonated in this very regard. I have high voc and so low in other places that without the high vocab, I could very well come across as ID at times. I saw you wrote that, too, somewhere. I will PM you. I have not come across a lot of others with this same experience, a huge, huge cavern between skills.

Just to clarify this ID = Intellectual disorder

To get this diagnose you need to have been born with this and it must have been noted in youre earlier years

+ You also like me and my dear friend in here you need to have SIGNIFICANTLY lower (not > 70 IQ ) then average
and severe visable constant problems in daily life = Signifacantly lower Executive & Adaptive functions

It may be worth looking into the theory of the different types of autistic thinking patterns. I'm definitely a Word/Pattern thinker. I also have somewhat of an extreme cognitive profile. I recently took an IQ test and there was nearly 4 Standard Deviations of spread between my lowest and highest subtest scores.

Just to clarify this ID = Intellectual disorder

To get this diagnose you need to have been born with this and it must have been noted in youre earlier years

+ You also like me and my dear friend in here you need to have SIGNIFICANTLY lower (not > 70 IQ ) then average
and severe visable constant problems in daily life = Signifacantly lower Executive & Adaptive functions
Yes I did know that. I was more commenting on how the iq gap feels and even wider when you add in delays and adaptive skills deficits. I am honestly looking for better language for the middle of many places I end up in. I don't have an ID as a kid I was just told I was a bit slow tbh.

I have DD but no ID. It is very hard to try to explain to people, to be using language and keen insight into the DD ----as if I am not supposed to know what it feels like because it usually comes with ID. And yet, here I am DD and no ID. Drs hate me. :-O

Yes I did know that. I was more commenting on how the iq gap feels and even wider when you add in delays and adaptive skills deficits. I am honestly looking for better language for the middle of many places I end up in. I don't have an ID as a kid I was just told I was a bit slow tbh.

I understand my friend it was to make shore there wasent any misunderstandings thats all. Yeah i got that as well from birth only then it was known as Retard

I have DD but no ID. It is very hard to try to explain to people, to be using language and keen insight into the DD ----as if I am not supposed to know what it feels like because it usually comes with ID. And yet, here I am DD and no ID. Drs hate me. :-O

Belive me i have fallen between the chairs from birth so i understand. Oh im shore they dont hate you its just that they need to be careful in diagnocing in general and TRUST me on this NOONE wants to have ID diagnose in there papers i would SO love to be able to say i dont but i do and i just have accept this and be open with it same as all my other diagnosis.

I understand my friend it was to make shore there wasent any misunderstandings thats all. Yeah i got that as well from birth only then it was known as Retard

Belive me i have fallen between the chairs from birth so i understand. Oh im shore they dont hate you its just that they need to be careful in diagnocing in general and TRUST me on this NOONE wants to have ID diagnose in there papers i would SO love to be able to say i dont but i do and i just have accept this and be open with it same as all my other diagnosis.

Yes, some really do hate it when you have a better understanding of yourself and an ability to verbalize it. They get nervous and exhilarated. Nervous that I have laser insight and exhilarated that I am so vulnerable. You would not believe the odd mix. And I have been abused and targeted accordingly.

I score just over 140 on the high end and just under 100 on the low end. Depending on who you ask, I'm either retarded or a genius.

Yes, some really do hate it when you have a better understanding of yourself and an ability to verbalize it. They get nervous and exhilarated. Nervous that I have laser insight and exhilarated that I am so vulnerable. You would not believe the odd mix. And I have been abused and targeted accordingly.

I have been treated and regarded by most (incl my own father who got told to leave when i was born due to he couldent deal with me as i was ) from birth up to adult age so again belive me i know and understand perfectly & im so sorry you had to go thru this

Note its NOT my fathers fault he most likely have ASD 1 + he had a living nightmare when he grew up. (Mom actually also has ASD 1 ) and same storry .

Last edited:
It can lead to thalamo-cortico dysrhythmias,...common ones being tinnitus and visual snow,...

:eek: So that's it!!!! I have visual snow...I didn't realize that I had visual snow until I was in my 20s. (I thought everyone saw that stuff...I remember as a young child trying to ask my dad what it was and he had no idea what I was talking about. My mom thought I was seeing "free energy" in the air and that I had some sort of psychic gift...maybe she saw it too, idk. I stumbled across it online years later. I also see halos around lights in low light conditions - I didn't realize that wasn't normal either, I assumed it was. I thought those Crizal lens commercials were a lie lol, no one sees headlights that clearly!)

I had no idea it was connected to autism.

I only had my IQ tested once, and if my mother remembered correctly, I scored in the 150s. No idea what I would score now. It was high enough that I was placed in gifted classes though.

And is probably the reason why I wasn't diagnosed as autistic. This was back in the 90s, and my understanding is that by and large, high IQ was seen as a disqualifier for an autism diagnosis. So I had all the signs (all of them!) but since my IQ was so high, it couldn't be autism.

Now of course the medical community knows differently, but getting a diagnosis later in life comes with its own challenges.

I relate. And I have felt sort of alone with it, too -- it's pretty easy to find stories from autistic people who are either consistently overestimated or consistently under-estimated. It's harder to find stories from other autistic people who consistently experience a mix of both.

Between my lowest and highest IQ scores there was a difference of somewhere between 60-65 points, which I think is about 4 standard deviations (it was all reported as percentile rank with category words so I don't know the exact scores and had to look up a conversion table). My highest score was in a visual-spatial subtest, overall I have more visual-spatial strengths.

On some other standardized test series (mostly language stuff, if I recall correctly) I did during the same assessment as the IQ test, my scores ranged from those of a typical fourth grader to those of a typical PhD student (all the scores were reported as grade equivalents for that one).

With me it seems like it's 50/50 whether someone will overestimate me versus underestimate me. I have limited ability to predict when it will happen or which way it will go but I know it depends on context. (e.g. Am I rocking or otherwise visibly stimming? Am I overloaded by sensory stuff? Am I expected to speak and what about, and have I any prepared words, and have I practiced them, and how important is the order in which I say things, and how many things are there that need saying? Am I doing something I suck at or doing something I'm good at? Am I doing something where I need a support person to help me or not and is someone acting as my advocate/support person where non-autistic/typical people typically don't need support? Do I understand what's going on around me and/or what's being said by other people, can I keep up with the pace of events/conversation? What is my social role in the situation? How well does the other person know me and how well do I know them? What does the other person know and what do they think about neurodevelopmental conditions or just diversity of ability in general?)

I don't know how to get anyone to understand. It's very rare for people to get it. (I hope I'm wrong but: ) I think all you can do is tell people what you can and can't do, and tell them it's common for an autistic person to have uneven abilities -- they will either accept/understand that or they won't, and sometimes it takes people a long time to understand (years and years).

New Threads

Top Bottom