• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asthma

Oakley16

I have asthma for almost 2 months now, it starts when we have sports fest in our school. While we are playing truck and field I feel something in my chest, I'm having a hard time to breathe and I feel dizzy that time. Our coach told us that it's better for me to try swimming because it will help me to breathe clearly.

But my friend told me to try marijuana instead of swimming. Along the way, i came across a website saying that MJ can help me to reduce my hard time breathing. I don't know who will I listen to. Has anyone tried marijuana as an alternative medicine for illness? Can somebody help me with my problem? Thanks in advance.

I think the best thing to do is, as BraidedPony said above, go to a doctor and tell them about this.

Do you already have a diagnosis for asthma? Do you notice that it shows up at certain times, or anything that triggers it?

My asthma is triggered by cold weather and exercise usually. Sometimes, environmental allergies will trigger it too.

I have never used marijuana to try to treat symptoms of asthma. I would think though, that it wouldn't help very much. Asthma is chronic and lifelong. And it wouldn't have anything to do with the things that trigger the airways to get inflamed, or an asthma attack.

What helps me prevent an attack is to take 2 puffs of albuterol before going outside in cold weather, or doing moderate to strenuous levels of activity.

Again, though, if you have not gone to the doctor about this yet, go see one if you can before you try any sort of remedy for it.

Weed may have some medicinal qualities but is also the Snake Oil of the times. I'm not a fan of self medication experiments. It might make things worse rather then better. Even your coach might be wrong. I would only make changes or try medications under a physicians care.

Smoking marijuana is not a good idea for asthma patients, it'll just irritate the airways more. Your best bet is to see your family doctor for a possible referral to a pulmonologist, if necessary.
You could also be suffering from exercise-induced bronchoconstriction, but it's still good to have more serious matters excluded.

I would try swimming it has improved my sisters asthma so much. She hasn’t had an attacking in years. Just be careful and remember your inhaler

Mine acts up primarily when I am around animals, especially cats. Also severe dust and pollen, like when mowing when it's really dry.

Swimming wouldn't work for me. Even when my asthma isn't acting up, swimming (or even sitting in the water up to my chest) the buoyancy pushes on my chest and I have a hard time breathing. The act of swimming is even worse, I can barely make it 20 feet without feeling like I can't take in any more air.

Definitely see a doctor, and if you do try MMJ do not smoke it! That would be no good for your asthma, orally ingest it if anything. I'd see the doc first though.

Yeah I agree with Major Tom. If you are going to try marijuana, ingest it. Take a very small amount though, and work your way up if you haven't felt anything in an hour or two. It is very easy to overdo it by ingesting, 'cause you don't feel the effects as quickly as when you smoke or vape it. Overdoing it = really bad trip.

Oh and I don't advise vaping it too. It's as bad as smoking it in terms of what it will do to the airways of someone with asthma.

Do these things with someone you trust! Don't do it alone.

And again, as I said earlier, as all of us here have already said and reiterated: See a doctor!

I don't have asthma but as others have suggested I'd see a doctor about this, said doctor should be able to provide you with a proper diagnosis and form of treatment.

New Threads

Top Bottom