• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Assessment Progress

Raggamuffin

V.I.P Member
A few weeks ago I had my initial phone call with my GP to get the ball rolling for an autism assessment. After she scored my results she told me a referral letter will be sent. Due to the lockdown the site which processes these referrals and carries out the assessments is temporarily closed.

After another grilling by my supervisor for more mistakes at work, and a reply to one of my posts here I decided to investigate ADHD some more. I went back on a local private clinic website which has online questionnaires for numerous disorders. I scored 40/40 for ADHD. So I did more online reading and research, as well as talking at length with a friend who has ADHD. Similar to first discovering the spectrum traits and behaviours, I found what was written about ADHD was profoundly accurate to how I think, act and live my life.

More pieces of the puzzle felt like they were connecting. This morning I had my phone call with the Dr regarding getting an ADHD assessment. She said that because I'm on the waiting list for an autism assessment at the same location, she will update the referral.

I was told they would do a full and thorough assessment which should provide a diagnosis. She felt that as there can be some overlap between the 2 conditions, it would be prudent for them to carry out an in depth psychiatric assessment.

If I've heard nothing from the Doctors in 2 weeks I've been advised to call them to chase the progress on my referral. The GP advised they try to refrain from prescribing medication for adult ADHD due to a potential risk of heart issues.

I reassured her that my intention wasn't for medication, but to get a sense of closure, help my workplace understand my potential additional needs, continue with therapy, reading and researching online and investing in self help books and sharing my experiences on forums to help me vent and put thoughts and feelings into words, when I need a means to express myself at the time. Then there's also my rekindled exercise regime with regular contact staffing, walking and now, jogging. It feels easier to establish and maintain new routines now I'm sober.

Here's hoping the waiting list isn't too long. Either way, I'm 34 now - and it's not as if I haven't waited a long time already. A few more months, or another year is no skin off my nose.

Ed

This all sounds good, you have got it all organised. I'll be interested to know what the timescale turns out to be, as something happening in two weeks would be pretty awesome these days! But you are on track for what you need.

Yes there's a fair amount of overlap with ADHD, to the point indeed where I wonder if they need to look at those two set of criteria and work on differentiation. Executive function issues seems to be a cornerstone of each. And with ADHD they've worked out different types now, where some of us who didn't think we fit it might now see that we may.

I am glad your sobriety is really showing you some difference in what you can do. I'm doing fine too, not to say that I don't hanker for a glass of wine sometimes. But I soon forget about it. Keep us posted on your referral!

Hi,

hope you get your term wit the doctor soon. I had to wait three months because of COVID, it was excruciating at times.

Congratulations on staying sober and making healthy habits! You are doing so much for yourself. I have read through some of your posts and I feel inspired by you!

Just keep swimming.

Sending you love.

We will all celebrate once you are formally diagnosed. It does make a difference to those who need it. Can your parents be involved and talk about any early delays, etc? I have found that THAT is one of the things that makes or breaks a dx. The early indicators are very important and often they don't trust us. They need a parent or sibling to give them a bigger picture.

I'm so encouraged by your decision to change your lifestyle, Ed. I will refrain from saying that I'm proud of you because that sounds condescending and instead I'll say you should definitely give yourself credit for how far you've come in making the decision to stop using. You've decided to take the reigns in your life.

You've also got the right idea with adding vigorous exercise. I'm convinced ADHD is a co-morbid for me and I need regular exercise and physical activity to function correctly; it's my "medication".

I too worked my way up to running for exercise until I sustained an injury and my ability to run abruptly stopped. Now brisk long walks are my regimented exercise along with a lot of physical labor around the homestead.

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We will all celebrate once you are formally diagnosed. It does make a difference to those who need it. Can your parents be involved and talk about any early delays, etc? I have found that THAT is one of the things that makes or breaks a dx. The early indicators are very important and often they don't trust us. They need a parent or sibling to give them a bigger picture.

Good point about parental input from childhood. My Dad wasn't around much when I was young and he was oblivious to that kind of stuff and my Mom died before my assessment, but I was able to print off things about me from birth through childhood that she'd written about and they were a big part of my assessment.

New Threads

Top Bottom