• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies vs. psychopaths

DiegoB

Hello! I am new to this forum and would like to share my rare ideas in this space because I want them to be read by people who understand them. If my English is not very good I ask for forgiveness, in fact I speak Spanish ... Well, lately I've had the idea that Aspies are the opposite of psychopaths. The psychopaths are people who have a very poor emotional life, instead you could say that the Aspies feel too much ... This I thought after seeing an anime called Death note, where an Aspie and a psychopath appear. I do not know if I regret saying it but I would rather be a psychopath to an Aspie (which is what I am, do not worry). A psychopath can be developed so easily in society, is enviable and unfair. Well, leaving aside that these people are a danger to society, I think that Aspies should learn from psychopaths in the sense that we should leave our feelings aside, I even say that feelings are counterproductive on a daily basis. Another idea I had is that the Aspies and the Psychopaths are very sad beings for having to carry their respective dislikes, the Aspies with their problem in communication and the psychopaths with that frustration when they do not understand the feelings. I wonder if the divine duty of the Aspies is to arrest and imprison the psychopaths of the world ... Thank you for having read me, I am waiting for your comment (# ^ _ ^ #)

not all psychopaths are killers, i guess it is also a spectrum
many people in power show psychopathic character traits, you cannot lead and deeply empathise with everyone that your decisions effect negatively, every decision has winners and losers, that's just inevitable

i have learned to suppress my emotions, it turns out though that you cannot really, while i am not really emotionally effected or influenced'n the moment' my emotions still happen in the background, by repressing them my doctor has told me that they 'escape' though fantom aches and pain, background stress, fatigue, etc

emotional repression is supposedly a defensive reaction, and i have found that it is als hard to selectively repress emotions, the good feelings tend to 'disappear' with the bad, so that is a pretty big downside as well, so while you may be able to mitigate some negative emotions, you may also decrease your ability to enjoy life

I've learned it is true repressed emotions will produce physical symptoms.
Whether Aspie or Psychopath, there are strong emotions even though most think the Psychopath doesn't feel.

The true defining point with the psychopath is they lack the feelings of inner caring reactions to the people around them. I always go back to what psychology has found in this basic difference.
Psychopaths can see violence, hurt, disgusting acts and photos of such with no inner change of feelings.
This is the big issue of the mirror neuron empathy topic.

The non-psychopath will feel internal feelings and emotions when they see violence, hurt, scenes that create gut reactions.

Psychopathy doesn't mean random acts of killing for fun.
There is usually a stressor trigger that sets off an intense emotion from something that they can't get over in their past that starts a killing spree or the revenge.
Loss of a loved one, abuse, or other traumatic event.

As Aspies usually have difficulty dealing with strong
emotions also and learning to find a way of living with anxiety, PTSD, abuse, hurtful acts, depression, etc.
We also feel for other people and what they suffer.
The psychopath doesn't react with inner caring for others sufferings.
This is my learning of the differences.
But, both feel emotions intensely.

Feelings are a part of our physiology. They are not counterproductive, they simply are. Aspies have a greater awareness and can exercise sufficient control so as not to make decisions based off feelings. But don't fight them, don't fight who you are, accept it.

The only difference between psychopaths and neurotypicals are choices. Psychopaths choose pain and suffering and shape their world to inflict pain on others and upon themselves. Aspies view the world objectively and can make choices from a place of logic. Move your thoughts away from psychopaths, arresting or imprisoning people and focus instead on positive choices.

Psychopaths lack the ability to feel empathy, whereas Aspies feeling overhwhelmed by feelings of empathy or emotion. This is why I object so much to Aspies being compared to psychopaths or being told that they have no empathy. Psychopaths know the difference between right and wrong; most can exercise control and choose not to act on any impulses they have. Not all kill or become criminals even, only a small percentage, but their condition does affect their personality. Those who do kill or commit other crimes do so in order to get the adrenalin rush from it, and this can be addictive, in which case the person turns into a serial killer.

At first, I thought autism and psychopathy were the opposite disorders as well, but this was before i actually went and studied a few "subjects" (psychopath friends). As i mentioned the many ASD symptoms i struggled with to my psychopathic friend, she would interject to say she struggled with the same things. After my research, i am confident that i have traits of both psychopathy and autism. I cannot initiate a conversation, but i can look at someone and see their personality instead of their appearance (Anxious, Narcissistic, Jittery/unresolved anxiety issues, slacker, autistic, impulsive etc.). I can suppress my empathy, sometimes postponing a meltdown. I can also conjure my emotions- like a switch- To match that of what i'm supposed to feel. My empathy is very finicky (It's very rare that i will feel sad for a fictional character, and real people sadness makes me uncomfortable.) and sometimes i have to force myself to tell the truth. I've embraced both diagnoses (diagnosis? diagnosies?diagnosisisis? i don't know, plurals are strange, english is strange) as components of my personality. They are not individual labels, but rather just another part of me, like my relentless acne or bitten fingernails. Most people will not believe my conclusion, so i don't talk about it or lie and say i'm only autistic if people ask. I am not a danger to society. Many psychopaths aren't. A lot of us don't want to harm others (in the case of my friend, she wants to specialize in criminal behavior and therapy). Sure, i have met those who are actively abusive, and i have experienced first-hand how blind they are to the trauma they cause. Just like not all autistics are rain man-esque savants, not all psychopaths are heartless murderers. ASD and ASPD are both spectrum based disabilities, IMO. I personally, like to manipulate people into leading better lives, and manipulating their emotions into a positive outcome. Lastly, i implore you, PLEASE do not label us all of as criminals. Psychopaths are just as disabled as autistics, and both of us are human beings. we need love, compassion, and support like anyone else. If you want to know anything about psychopathy, feel free to PM me (rare mental disorders are my special interest, i read the DSMV for fun xD)
P.s: As great and educational as anime is, you can't learn everything from it. If you want realistic knowledge of something like psychopathy, ask those who actually have it, or do a truckload of research. a character is one representation, it may not portray the reality of those who struggle.

In terms of generalities, I'm inclined to believe that far more Aspies lean towards being relatively passive, contrary to psychopaths who would lean towards being more aggressive, and possibly even violent.

Though clearly we have seen in the news examples of those on the spectrum who were or are comorbidly psychopathic as well. Of course when it comes to comorbid conditions in general, we're quite a mixed bunch. With some conditions more common than others. Though psychopathy isn't one of them.

Asperger's Disorder vs. Psychopathy

At first, I thought autism and psychopathy were the opposite disorders as well, but this was before i actually went and studied a few "subjects" (psychopath friends). As i mentioned the many ASD symptoms i struggled with to my psychopathic friend, she would interject to say she struggled with the same things. After my research, i am confident that i have traits of both psychopathy and autism. I cannot initiate a conversation, but i can look at someone and see their personality instead of their appearance (Anxious, Narcissistic, Jittery/unresolved anxiety issues, slacker, autistic, impulsive etc.). I can suppress my empathy, sometimes postponing a meltdown. I can also conjure my emotions- like a switch- To match that of what i'm supposed to feel. My empathy is very finicky (It's very rare that i will feel sad for a fictional character, and real people sadness makes me uncomfortable.) and sometimes i have to force myself to tell the truth. I've embraced both diagnoses (diagnosis? diagnosies?diagnosisisis? i don't know, plurals are strange, english is strange) as components of my personality. They are not individual labels, but rather just another part of me, like my relentless acne or bitten fingernails. Most people will not believe my conclusion, so i don't talk about it or lie and say i'm only autistic if people ask. I am not a danger to society. Many psychopaths aren't. A lot of us don't want to harm others (in the case of my friend, she wants to specialize in criminal behavior and therapy). Sure, i have met those who are actively abusive, and i have experienced first-hand how blind they are to the trauma they cause. Just like not all autistics are rain man-esque savants, not all psychopaths are heartless murderers. ASD and ASPD are both spectrum based disabilities, IMO. I personally, like to manipulate people into leading better lives, and manipulating their emotions into a positive outcome. Lastly, i implore you, PLEASE do not label us all of as criminals. Psychopaths are just as disabled as autistics, and both of us are human beings. we need love, compassion, and support like anyone else. If you want to know anything about psychopathy, feel free to PM me (rare mental disorders are my special interest, i read the DSMV for fun xD)
P.s: As great and educational as anime is, you can't learn everything from it. If you want realistic knowledge of something like psychopathy, ask those who actually have it, or do a truckload of research. a character is one representation, it may not portray the reality of those who struggle.
Sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention it's just an idea that came to me when I was at my leisure time. I have to tell you the truth and I do not have a good image of psychopaths, come on, I do not like them and I would be stressed in front of one, I know it's a little childish and illogical idea, but it's something that has to do with My feelings: it stresses me to think that there are people like that. I suppose it is time to leave those prejudices, it will cost me a lot ...

Sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention it's just an idea that came to me when I was at my leisure time. I have to tell you the truth and I do not have a good image of psychopaths, come on, I do not like them and I would be stressed in front of one, I know it's a little childish and illogical idea, but it's something that has to do with My feelings: it stresses me to think that there are people like that. I suppose it is time to leave those prejudices, it will cost me a lot ...
I apologize if i sounded offended, honestly you sound more offended than i do, and i'm sorry if i may have irritated you. I understand your fear, i have seen the destruction an untreated sociopath can cause. it can be disturbing, and i understand why the public is scared of us. But if you actually met one i doubt you'd be scared. since every psychopath is different, because we're still people. Some of us are shy and insecure, and some of us are outgoing and friendly. Before I learned to embrace that part of myself, i felt "evil" even though i've never done anything remotely illegal. I wasn't a murderer, i didn't need to be locked up, but that's how i felt society viewed me: A deranged, heartless teenager. My parents and few friends know this couldn't be farther from the truth, i'm just a human being. anyway, for those who aren't aware of an issue, compassion costs more than ignorance. but it's priceless to those who could only afford to be silenced.

New Threads

Top Bottom