1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies in War

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Wolf Prince, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Wolf Prince

Wolf Prince My future job title.

So i never joined the army. I studied everything i could. Before making that choice. Aside from the aspergers. Or before it i should say. I never felt my mentiality or emotions could handle the strain. Battle demands a lot from men. A slow thinking emotionally crippled soldier would get men killed. The other half of that choice was this. If i killed even once. Could i stop? Its a question i still debate.
    To any service men on here im sorry. I really did want to protect this country.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  2. oregano

oregano is on I-5 btwn Calif and Jefferson

From what I've read, autism is an automatic disqualifier for the military, at least in the US. The reasons you cite are essentially the reasons the Department of Defense uses for barring auties from service.

To use another example, in Israel auties used to be banned from service, until the commanders realized that we could use our talents in intelligence interpretation. IDF auties sit and scan feeds from Israeli spy satellites, watching for any movements by Israel's enemies, then alerting a supervising officer. The IDF had trouble keeping NT soldiers in this activity since they got bored and restless, however autistics are well suited to it. Considering that Israel is a military society where those who can't serve are looked down upon, this was quite a breakthrough. I wish that the US Armed Forces would realize that.

We would be perfectly suited for such things as cyberwarfare, which requires close attention to computer feeds, as well as programming skills and computer network cracking. Cyber battles will be as important if not more so as physical boots on the ground in the future, which means the DoD needs our skills.

My grandfather told me how he burst his appendix moving a howitzer a few weeks before he was due to ship out (World War 2) and they had to give him a medical discharge, and he begged them not to, so eventually he became a truck driver, shipping materiel from train depots to bases.

We need the DoD to realize that we CAN serve, just not as combat infantry, but that's only a small part of America's defense nowadays.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

It it's not for everyone, NT or ASD. But much of it in modern times does not directly involve actual fighting, but acting in some sort of supporting function. There are strains, the hours, the conditions, the locations, but different from combat. What I don't like is that it is listed as a medically disqualifying condition. Supposedly it can be waivered but I am not sure how difficult that is to get. I believe the ASD traits vary greatly from one person to another and for some the military is actually a good fit. Just as an Aspie can excell in other fields, I think it is also possible in a military field. Especially with so much of it technically orientated. But knowing your own limits is very important and if you aren't totally good with the possibilities there is nothing wrong in my book with steering clear of it. In fact it is the better thing to do.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Chaotic Neutral

In Finland we have mandatory military service for all men above 18 years old, though one could opt for alternative civilian service instead. My autism got me freed from that, and I'm not complaining.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

This has become a somewhat complex question, especially with hiring guidelines of the US military constantly changing along with executive administrations. Best to read this article which is only about four months old.

"Like most things in the military, the answer to this question is “it depends”. It depends on the military branch you’re looking to join, what type of autism you’ve been diagnosed with, and what kinds of autism symptoms you’re displaying."

"Out of these three autism spectrums, people with Asperger syndrome or high functioning autism are more likely to get enlistment."

Can You Join the Military with Autism? It Depends

6. Xerces Blue

Xerces Blue Evil Overload

I served 9 years drilling in the National Guard.
    We actually do quite well in the military.
    It's a structured environment where most of the rules are laid out clear as day.
    Emotionally, Binding with your comrades is easier as you have common grounds to build on.
    you have your experience in Basic training, AIT and similar goals.

I only had problems with one person in my time.
    He only joined up to pay for school and didn't pull his weight - No one in out platoon liked him.
    Actively avoided work and complained.
    Wouldn't have counted on him to stand watch.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joshua Aaron

Joshua Aaron Autistic Bisexual

I'd never join the military.

8. Xerces Blue

Xerces Blue Evil Overload

@Joshua Aaron
    For some reason your statement and the quote in your signature really bothers me.
    Most of us don't join the military for "glory"

9. Joshua Aaron

Joshua Aaron Autistic Bisexual

That quote is mostly for gaming. Especially DnD, where I tend to play agressive fighter characters. Probably going to change it soon, though.