• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies and Social Media

dspoh001

Hi,
I don't do social media because I feel that it's primarily inconsequential talk that goes on it or that it's sharing very personal information with strangers. I recognize that not everyone goes about it that way, though. Having said that, how do you feel about socializing via social media? Is it easier because you don't have to bother with facial expressions and body language? I guess this website could be considered social media, but I was primarily thinking of Facebook/Twitter. Are there any ways in which it makes you more anxious or that it's harder?

Hi,
I don't do social media because I feel that it's primarily inconsequential talk that goes on it or that it's sharing very personal information with strangers. I recognize that not everyone goes about it that way, though. Having said that, how do you feel about socializing via social media? Is it easier because you don't have to bother with facial expressions and body language? I guess this website could be considered social media, but I was primarily thinking of Facebook/Twitter. Are there any ways in which it makes you more anxious or that it's harder?
I feel like communicating on social media is a bit easier, at least for me. I have trouble approaching people in real life, but on social media sometimes it is easier. Because people can't see you or hear you, so it just makes me feel safer. I tend to go on virtual worlds like IMVU or Second Life.

I am the opposite. It was social media that I made my first real friend; never understood how to make friends and then, I "met" this young lady and she truly helped me to appreciate a bit of what it takes to make friends.

Face to face, it takes a very unique type of character for me to feel comfortable with. But online, I have no issue and use smilies to denote emotions. I hear all the time that one cannot read emotions online, but heck, I can barely understand off line and so, hehehe Neurotypicals get to have a bit of taste what it feels like having aspergers! Sometimes I can read emotions, but they have to be almost screaming at me; the more subtle ones, really go past me.

I can think about something someone has typed and react better and also I can put what is in my brain, to my fingertips and type away, whereas in "life" that is an awful struggle!

I do not understand the fascination with social media and gossip.

I have tried Facebook and Twitter a few times but end up having to get rid of them after a short period.

I'm quite a reserved person so struggled to find anything that I'd like to post. When I used social media, Facebook mainly I found that people post some crazy stuff.
  • Like or share if you like the colour red or something just as ridiculous.
  • Share or post "amen" for sick child/animal.
  • Pictures of what they are eating or posting that they have just arrived home.
  • Reporting crimes or found property rather than contacting the police.
  • Public rants or arguments, that's always going to end well.
Booking into places that they have been or meals that they are eating, and the amount of rants that people have. I've also seen a lot of people use social media to report crimes or found property rather than contacting the police.

There's also the social conventions linked to adding people. Adding people that they hardly know, knew years ago from school or worked with.

New Threads

Top Bottom