• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

aspie-friendly encore careers

wadorama

V.I.P Member
to any fellow late-wilters out there (no offense to anyone intended) have you stumbled across an occupation post-awareness that you can tolerate and can tolerate you? i only ask because i suspect i will rot alone in my comfort zone if I don’t get one. i am 52, mobile, and can play normish with others for brief periods of time although it does stack up the stress. i live in a touristy area, but feel that random interaction with the public in a service role would inevitably end badly. guess i'm looking for anyone similar that has a success story. thanks in advance.

I work for a supported employment agency, but I'm one lucky SOB for that fact. These types of jobs are few and far between.

Although honestly, it's not the best job I've ever had. The best was a paper route - not with a bicycle and little red wagon, but with a truck full of papers. It was 7 days a week which suited my need for routine well (even if I didn't realize it at the time), it was fun as hell whipping around empty streets at 4 AM, and I didn't have to talk to anyone because the rest of the world is asleep at that hour. It was great.

So technically that was a pre-awareness occupation, but I made more money doing that than I did working at a factory, or working in a cubicle farm, while only working half as much, and it really suited me well. The best part is, because of the social stigma nobody wants to do this job, so they're actually available and they're fairly secure if you're reliable.

I lost that job because I had a heart attack and couldn't lift stuff for a while, but now that I'm better and actually aware of how well the job suited me I'd take that job back in a second if I could; I could even do it as a second job because the hours are second-job friendly. Maybe I should check the newspaper and see if they're hiring...

interesting (and oddly symmetrical!) idea Gritches. it had not occurred to me, and thank you for it. the printed media is fast becoming obsolete though, at least around here. plus no human interaction at all. makes me think i'm looking to thread a needle on that.

Most people who still get printed media are old people. They're your customer base. I do worry about the future of the institution of the newspaper as older people are..."replaced by a younger generation", but for now there's plenty of old people who still want a printed newspaper on their doorstep every morning. So it's viable for at least another 15-20 years, and there are old people everywhere.

It actually makes me wonder how lucrative a paper route in Florida would be, being God's waiting room and all. Hmm...

I still enjoy reading a newspaper. Something about rather having something in print than digital, there are others like me as well.

Programming
Data analyst
Test engineer
Artist

(I've successfully made money from all of the above and find them much easier than most other jobs)

thanks Sid. and "God Save the Queen!" ;o)

i have the proven logic chops to code, but my experience is decades old so i'd basically be starting anew. totally doable though. and while i'd be competing with those half my age i wouldn't be trying to prove myself anymore but rather just trying to get along, so there's that. hmm...adult computing classes?

i have been a test engineer before in an r&d lab, and it was my favo(u?)rite job ever. mostly interaction with repeatable things, minimal interaction with unpredictable people yet still enough to stay connected.

i fear i have little talent for art, though huge respect for those that do.

anyway, more yummy food for thought from you. =o)

Last edited:
Most people who still get printed media are old people. They're your customer base. I do worry about the future of the institution of the newspaper as older people are..."replaced by a younger generation", but for now there's plenty of old people who still want a printed newspaper on their doorstep every morning. So it's viable for at least another 15-20 years, and there are old people everywhere.

It actually makes me wonder how lucrative a paper route in Florida would be, being God's waiting room and all. Hmm...
these days it seems like you'd have to cater to one side of the aisle or the other. or maybe offer a menu?

these days it seems like you'd have to cater to one side of the aisle or the other. or maybe offer a menu?

Yeah, the paper giants have all added online content as a part of their services. I'm not sure how that's faring for them, but probably not well since I usually run into paywalls on their sites that want me to pay a subscription, same as if it were a physical newspaper. Young people despise being pitched to, but I suppose more qualified people than I decided to go with the subscription model; hope it works out for them.

Actually, I'm not even quite sure who's buying newspapers these days. Most of the subscribers were seniors, but newsstand sales accounted for maybe half of the total sales, and I don't know who bought those, just that they sold. So it might be that older people who maybe don't get out as much pay for a traditional home-delivery subscription while younger people buy one occasionally at newsstand prices (at gas stations, primarily). I'm really not too sure. Just that I don't think I ever home-delivered a paper to someone under 40; some of those old people are hardcore as hell, out there waiting for their paper at 4:30 AM.

I guess I'm reminiscing here, but it was a fun job and a bit more meaningful than slaving away in a fast-food kitchen or whatever. Just pushing this for everyone out there who doesn't want to choose between 1) a STEM career, or 2) Customer Service as their occupation. There are other jobs out there that suit Aspies well, you just have to know where to look.

There are other jobs out there that suit Aspies well, you just have to know where to look.
and i don't, so it is of those types of jobs that i seek ideas from others that have found them and like them.

"i have the proven logic chops to code, but my experience is decades old so i'd basically be starting anew. totally doable though. [...] i have been a test engineer before in an r&d lab, and it was my favo(u?)rite job ever."

If you enjoyed coding, then modern testing is probably an even better fit. A lot of testing work I do these days is automated, so you are writing code to do the testing for you. And people who are good at coding seem to gravitate towards developer jobs rather than testing, so there's always a lack of good testers on the market (therefore easier to get into regardless of age).

others out there? maybe keeping it to yourself for whatever reason, and if so i respect that. in truth i would rather not be bothering anyone with this question at all. i have always made my own way with what i had or could simulate. but things are different now. this may be the last big thing i will decide.

All of these could be seasonal full time, OR full time year round.

Professional gardener,
Landscaper,
Cemetery caretaker, or grounds keeper (I would love this one)
Dog walker
Pet or house sitter
Biologist,
House painter,
Lawn mower,
eBay Seller,
Botanist
Lab worker
Security Officer
Cake decorator
Baker

New Threads