• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Resource icon

Aspie Advice 2014-11-15

I'm seriously starting to think that anyone giving aspie advice had better be aspie themselves. Might have to look for an aspie-specific counselor when current one ends her residency.

I'm seriously starting to think that anyone giving aspie advice had better be aspie themselves. Might have to look for an aspie-specific counselor when current one ends her residency.

I agree. I'm the chef instructor of a high school Culinary Arts program. Last year I had a problem with a special education teacher whose IEP (Individualized Education Plan) for a young aspie student included the requirement that he be given more time to complete work. I think that this was the wrong thing to put in his IEP. The student in question had Asperger's Syndrome but was NOT learning disabled. He needed HIGH EXPECTATIONS but was enabled by his teacher who kept telling everyone as he fell further and further behind in all subject areas that he "was autistic" as though that was an excuse for being lazy and not doing any assignments.

She finally stopped lecturing me after I lost my patience with her. When asked why I had issued a denial of credit even though he had more than 20 days of absences ... and why couldn't I understand that he was autistic, I finally told her my secret and growled that I WAS AUTISTIC!"

The woman snapped her mouth shut and then abruptly left because she didn't want to hear that this student needed high expectations and to be held accountable. He would have benefited from assistance in time management and setting daily goals for completing this assignment or that ... but because we were all supposed to give him "more time," he vegged out and did nothing to the point where he was failing all classes because of incomplete or missing work.

By the time the student realized that he had dug himself into a deep hole, we were a week from final exams and the end of the school year. The kid had a meltdown that was so severe he had to be hospitalized. He was also placed on a suicide watch ... and I lay a good part of the blame for this at the feet of the special education teacher who was supposed to have been his strongest advocate but wound up being his biggest enabling detractor.

Reminds me of something my brother said:
'The only expert on pain is someone in pain themselves.'

My tribe has a saying...if you are bleeding, look for someone with scars.
Our minds 'bleed' in ways very few can understand unless they have experienced something similar.

New Threads

Top Bottom