• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers Drop-in Centres

Aspergers_Aspie

Although I have benefited from help support and advice from an Aspergers drop-in centre and the service is free and I have access to one where I live. I still think that some service users more than others can have more opportunities to relax or have some time for themselves. Some service users are not asked to engage in games and chats for roughly 5 hours at a time. With being asked to play games and chat even while they say they eating and agreeing to when they are finished composing and sending an important email. Especially stressful I think if more than one persons are there watching closely and listening to your reply, or more than one person speaking to you at once. I don't mind conversing some of the time or playing games some of the time.

MH services are suffering terribly and impacts our health in turn. I'm in UK & finding it increasingly difficult to find any support services, let alone have the option of attending one. Getting increasing isolated.

I think all these types of facilities workers are there for the income and not really trying to help. I had my daughter in 'step one' for drugs and alcohol. The guy over the meetings didn't do anything and I could tell he didn't really have an interest in helping the kids there. The kids had an assignment to each choose a drug and do a report on it. One of the kids did a report on pot and everything was positive. (no debating on whether or not pot is good for ya, I think it can be helpful, but this is an anti drug for kids). He just accepted the report, no questions. I interrupted and said I had a question for the kid. I gave a scenario that he goes into the emergency room - life and death and in severe pain. As a nurse, I just stepped outside on my lunch break and smoked a joint. Did he want me to be the one treating him? He said no. At times I felt like I was more of the leader than he was. I challenged all the kids to spend 15 minutes at some time during the following week with no one and no kind of entertainment. Just to sit quietly and think about things and be with themselves. They all agreed to try it and the longest time any of them made it was about 5 minutes. They all admitted they couldn't do it.
Anyhow - I have little confidence in these types of places.

I find that amazing that no one could go more than 5 minutes sitting quietly in contemplation.
That is like meditation and I make time to do this for half an hour to 45 mins. every morning
depending on time limitations.
Helps anxiety.

I don't like how ex-service users who became staff can view service user's files

Most organizations have rules on need-to-know for customer/client information, so information is accessed on a need-to-know basis only, with dismissal being a possible outcome of accessing information for a non-business reason. Many also have rules whereby one cannot work with or serve someone in a pre-existing close relationship, though of course in smaller communities, or organizations with a small number of clients, this might be challenging and potentially unavoidable.

Does this organization have such rules in their policies and guidelines for staff? If not, you may wish to perhaps propose it.

maybe its another service user's autism but I had to tell him that sorry I am entering my password he was sat right beside me looking in the general direction of the computer I was using

During pool drop-in I am a tricky situation again. I don't know what to do sometimes as a friend is always asking me to play games of 9 ball, first to 5, but another friend insists on the rule winner stays on, I don't mind either but I can't do both.

During pool drop-in I am a tricky situation again. I don't know what to do sometimes as a friend is always asking me to play games of 9 ball, first to 5, but another friend insists on the rule winner stays on, I don't mind either but I can't do both.

I'm pretty sure other friends wouldn't intentionally place me in tricky positions. Later, a friend wants to play me but another friend is saying to that person go to the shops with me, I don't like the stress but if I don't attend drop-ins I get very bored and how my Asperger's effects me I really like the routine of attending drop-ins!

I am weighing-up the pros and cons of going to the drop-ins. I need time to myself, but often more than one person speaks to me at once, often I don't get time to relax and do my own thing on the computer. I do like chatting and playing pool but not for the whole drop-in or the majority of the drop-in.

I am weighing-up the pros and cons of going to the drop-ins. I need time to myself, but often more than one person speaks to me at once, often I don't get time to relax and do my own thing on the computer. I do like chatting and playing pool but not for the whole drop-in or the majority of the drop-in.

Might be worth exploring. Especially to be able to investigate a few of them rather than one.

Something that we'd never likely see where I live. Where autism is treated primarily like a concern for children- not adults.

If I am somewhere like the dental practice for example, I will write down my DOB, full name and address, for two reasons. I like my details being private and just in case anyone could over hear and potentially try to use my details fraduently.

Yeah there is someone currently in the drop-in who has a cold, I think its selfish of him to come in, its non essential colds are contagious.

I suggested that when a large room in the charity building, I attend is free, we can use it for pyshical exercise, which is good for mental health too. This was a few years back and I didn't hear anything, don't know why, as this would have made good use of the room.
Since they didn't do this, I can suggest but be prepared they may decline the suggestions of sign language lessons or first aid lessons

At the aspie drop-in centre, I attend. I get asked or people say you are taking your bag with you. People leave personal belongings. Most of the service users do. I shouldn't be asked in my opinion why, its good practice and proof of this is there used to be a volunteer who would leave her bag in the office which was unlocked if no one was in there

I know they probably don't mean to upset me but sometimes I envy service users who don't really chat. I like chatting but not the majority of the time. I got so stressed and anxious that I left the drop in for a bit today and when I returned people were asking if I am okay. I know they are probably being consedirate but anyone is free to leave and return to a drop in. It's not just multiple people having conversations with me at once, it's one of them playing a clip on his phone at the same time. I think anyone, autistic or not would be overwhelmed!

There is a service user who I can't say for certain tries to annoy me but on a lot of occasions I think he has done things to leave me being suspicious that he has been trying to. It started-off with him in my opinion trying to snigger at my accent or the way I talk and claiming he doesn't know what I am saying, but all the other service users know and the staff know, and he doesn't say that to anyone else. And there's been other times I felt like he has tried to annoy me. I talked to the manager and another member of staff was in the office, I didn't say his name personally though. But today it got too much and I ended up saying to him if you have a problem with me go tell the staff. I am frustrated as him and disappointed if the staff find-out as they wont fully understand why I said if you have a problem with me go tell the staff

New Threads

Top Bottom