• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and Humour?

Unspired

Is it true that people with asperger's/autism have a humour deficit?

I can make jokes sometimes which make everyone laugh, usually little satirical, unexpected comments. I also have an uncle (mild aspie traits) who is sociable and constantly making people laugh, and my dad always comes up with funny ideas (but usually kills his own jokes after a while).

Anyway, does anyone else consider themselves as having a decent sense of humour or have funny relatives?

We possibly miss some of the humour that relies on understanding and picking up social ques, but I doubt we have a "deficit". But we probably pick up other humourous things that others miss because the connections in our brains are different.

Humour is so personal. I personally tend toward British humour, which is very different from my family, so I've wondered if we have a different sort of humour, rather than a humour deficit.

I do not consider myself to be humourous, but I know other aspies who have turned to humour to cover their aspie traits.

I wouldn't say we are deficient in appreciating humor---just that we often have trouble perceiving it.

I agree with the other two, we don't have a deficit, we just have a different kind of humor, for example: I can go flat out from a spelling error, meanwhile NT's are looking like "where is this guy laughing at?"

Oftentimes, someone will crack a joke and something about it will set me off and I can't breathe because I'm laughing so hard and the person who made the joke will look at me and say something like "I didn't mean it to be that funny!" I have a hard time detecting sarcasm unless I expect it (watching British comedy for example) and because I take things literally, so that type of humor will often pass me by.

There are occasional things that will have me laughing unto tears, but it's very random and unusual. I find a lot of stuff funny, though, it's just that due to my deficits in emotional expression, I don't usually "act out" in response to humor. I hate having to placate people with courtesy laughs to somehow "prove" that I'm amused.

Is it true that people with asperger's/autism have a humour deficit?

Not at all. But how humor is communicated and received may determine as to whether or not we construe it as being humorous.

Last edited:
Once upon a time, I read an article that suggested that Aspies trend towards verbal puns in humor, but I have no idea where that article was published, and how they came to that conclusion.

Once upon a time, I read an article that suggested that Aspies trend towards verbal puns in humor, but I have no idea where that article was published, and how they came to that conclusion.

I use puns almost more often than I don't. But then again, words are one of my special interests, so I find linguistic humor deeply amusing in general.

Yes, we are capable of humor... but on our own terms. Which may prove funny to some...or none at all.

Puns are just plays on words...I've made them for years. Deliberate sarcasm is much more complicated for me though...involving a perception of intention more than the mechanics and meanings of words.

As one of the forum jesters I guess I should comment here as well, even if I'm a bit late for the party.

I don't think there's a deficit, but what others have said, it might be the kind of humor that's different in some of us. I'm similar to Dark in that I have an interest in language so puns and such usually get a chuckle and I tend to make such jokes myself quite often.

If I couldn't appreciate humor, I'd be puzzled why I've wasted a lot of time watching stand-up comedy in my life.

That all being said, I can't appreciate all kinds of humor. But that's a matter of preference. Some people find no fun in offensive/shocking comedy, whereas some might not like and deadpan delivery, and others just remain clueless to why puns are funny.

What might be interesting though is to see if there are certain types of humor that are more prevalent as a preference within aspie communities.

What might be interesting though is to see if there are certain types of humor that are more prevalent as a preference within aspie communities.

I also would like to find out if there are certain types of humor that are more prevalent, it would be an interesting point in the "Is there an "Aspie" Culture?" discussions.

I have been told I can be funny. I do, often, miss NT humor. However, I just paid $30 to see the Capitol Steps in Auburn, NY and I honestly can't recall when I last let loose with bouts and fits of laughing. I felt happy for a few hours after the performance. The guy who flips words is priceless. Also, I made the effort to go meet the pianist after the performance because he is extremely talented and keeps the skits moving and segues from one to another scene. I told him he is fabulous and is the backbone of the group. He really seemed to appreciate what I had to say.

I also would like to find out if there are certain types of humor that are more prevalent, it would be an interesting point in the "Is there an "Aspie" Culture?" discussions.

Heh, it surely would be interesting research to see what about an "aspie culture".. perhaps some cultural things are a bit more preferred with aspies.

As for humor, I guess it's one of those things you could do a poll about on this forum. But with that, you need to list every form of humor and each of it's nuances.

Lol so what I do is I make a joke that I find hilarious (usually a pun or other linguistic device) and I laugh to myself out loud! My friends and family then think it's hilarious how funny I think I am and how I'm laughing so hard at myself!

I can perceive humor very well. I'm just bad at being humorous. Or rather, bad at being humorous in a way that others can understand. Or to be more precise, i'm a person who finds things funny that others find gross (poopy diapers, severed body parts, etc). I think humor is an individual thing, not an AS/NT thing. I was watching Adam's Apples-a black comedy, Danish, and my NT dad just didn't get what was funny about it. But my brother (NT) got it.

I can perceive humor very well. I'm just bad at being humorous. Or rather, bad at being humorous in a way that others can understand. Or to be more precise, i'm a person who finds things funny that others find gross (poopy diapers, severed body parts, etc). I think humor is an individual thing, not an AS/NT thing. I was watching Adam's Apples-a black comedy, Danish, and my NT dad just didn't get what was funny about it. But my brother (NT) got it.

Would they appreciate King Arthur's encounter with the dreaded Black Knight?

Warning: Grisly humor or just bloody funny...

It's hit and miss for me whether I get a joke someone face to face says, maybe that's more to do with missing certain cues because of concentrating on all the other things going on/processing what's being said, I can watch stand up and laugh along or comedy shows/sketches (I tend to appreciate the humour rather then actually laugh at those).

My husband seems to think I'm very funny, apparently I come out with some classics, for example playing left 4 dead 2 a few weeks ago my husband said "did you see that weave in front of Elllis?" (meaning one of the zombies movement) and I said "yeah,her name's Rochelle" (indicating that the female character had a weave)....well he was laughing so much he had to pause the game, even now he laughs about it.

Would they appreciate King Arthur's encounter with the dreaded Black Knight?

Warning: Grisly humor or just bloody funny...

My brother said that's a lot funnier for those already familiar with the stories about King Arthur. Because there will be these random people encoutnered in those stories. And you know they have a long story behind them, but that story is not explained.

When I recently (and finally) told my brother about my suspected autism it really clicked for him in commenting on my usual blank expression whenever he employed sarcasm. Which happens a lot. Now he knows how difficult it can be for me to process such things. And why it would frequently result in hostility on my part.

New Threads

Top Bottom