• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers, 17, Summer Job Hell... Help...

Billy S

So, I've finished my term at school and I've only got one more year till University. But now parents are really pushing for me to get a Summer Job. I am terrified. Since I have Aspergers, I'm incredibly anxious and confused about the entire prospect.

I skipped out on my year 10 work experience (UK Education System), since I was too terrified to even think about going somewhere on my own, with no support, to do a job I knew nothing about.

The problem is, my parents are now threatening to take away most of my personal belongings, since they don't want me to be indoors all summer, and I'm so petrified about the prospect of a job... I haven't had a real mental collapse in a few years, but a Summer Job makes me feel like I'm about to breakdown...

Does anybody have any useful advice for me? I live in Gibraltar, so there's not exactly much choice in jobs. Bars, Offices and not much else. I can't work in a bar, I literally have no co-ordination skills...

Help!

There's always labour type jobs that take little skill except hard work. They also have the added benefit of not having to deal with the general public.

There's always labour type jobs that take little skill except hard work. They also have the added benefit of not having to deal with the general public.
Sadly, that's not an option. It's the middle of one of the hottest summers Spain/Gibraltar has had for a long time. Most of the labour companies are taking time off because of it, also I lack any physical strength whatsoever.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

what about nightshift work (less stressful.. less people, cooler temps, usually a bit more slack) or something in the mailroom of an office?

i couldn't imagine any bar jobs i wouldn't have a mental breakdown in... far too busy and too many people

Perhaps night shift, janitorial or cleaning work, something that doesn't require a lot of talking to people.

My brother loved working in Walmart, stocking shelves and working in the back room. The back room position had him working solo most of the day, doing repetitive, systematic work. Maybe look for something like that? Factories would be similar, but are sometimes harder to break into (here, they want you to have experience in a factory, but how do you get experience in a factory, without working in a factory??).

I work as a para in an elementary school, but that requires a high school diploma (or college degree in some cases) and is only during the school year. I like it for the same reasons my brother liked Walmart, though. It's consistent and predictable. And I had limited contact with adults. Kids I can handle. Most adults make me crazy. (Teachers are unique and much less frustrating than most adults.)

I think my little issue is less about what kind of job I want, but more of going through the mechanics of having to sort out a CV, which I will need to be perfect, otherwise I'll be paranoid, having to go to different social places to hand the CV in, as well as having the mental nerve to actually try this out.

It's a terrifying prospect for me, having to try and keep my calm, especially with no support...

There are several websites that help you choose the right CV format and, guide you as to what to include. Perhaps one of them would be helpful and, once you do your CV, you only need to do so once and copy it for each prospective employer.

Some sites let you submit everything digitally, too. That's what I did to get my most recent job. I only had to show up for the interview, once they were pretty sure they wanted to hire me. :p That made it a lot easier.

Its pretty necessary to be able to work, and is something you have to learn to do. Very few are born job ready... there's always a learning curve. It sounds like the main obstacle here is not Aspergers per se but Anxiety. Have you considered talking with a doctor about that. Unlike autism, anxiety does have treatments.

What you do is of course very important. Some jobs are easier for Aspies, and some are harder. What about a cleaning or janitorial job, or perhaps stocking shelves. Those usually are done mostly alone and typical entry/summer jobs for young people. When you are starting off its not so much what you do as it is something you can sustain and succeed at completeing. Its very important for your confidence.

New Threads

Top Bottom