• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger and dyscalculia? Asperger autism and prejudice

Aneka

Does dyscalculia "go together" with asperger autism? Anyone here who has both?
I couldn't find a valid answer for this, it's one of the questions on my mind right now. There is a certain set image concerning aspies and it keeps so many people from getting a diagnosis. Many people I have talked to think all aspies are supposed to excel at maths and algebra. Or that only boys are affected...

I couldn't find a valid answer for this, it's one of the questions on my mind right now. There is a certain set image concerning aspies and it keeps so many people from getting a diagnosis.

Many people I have talked to think all aspies are supposed to excel at maths and algebra. Or that only boys are affected...

Warm wellcome too the forums Aneka :) . Yes its among the co morbid diagnosis (incl in this list is learning disabilities) too Autism

And yes i have them both + a gazilion other both learning disabilities and diagnosis. many do yes but not all it all depends on both IQ as well as possible learning disabilities (again known co morbid diagnosis too ASD = Autism )

Us females mostly do show our " tics " in other ways then males in general

Hi Aneka :)

welcome to af.png

All my life I've had problems with math and didn't really know why. For years I knew about dyslexia but I had no idea people could have dyscalculia. But since I learned about it, it makes sense now. I still sometimes have trouble telling time with analog clocks. It took me longer to tell left from right. And when I was a teenager I was secretly afraid I'd never be able to live my own because I have an insane amount of trouble with taxes and checkbook balances, estimating how much several items in my cart will cost, and the fact they don't even include the taxes on the price tags for some stupid reason doesn't help. I'll probably never be able to learn to drive a car because I have trouble with distances and I think a car will run me over when it's coming right at me but stops at the last second when I cross the street.

And yet I was hyperlexic as a kid, and was especially good at reading and writing. But I thought reading and writing were easy and anyone could do it. But it took brains to do math.:(

Hi Aneka, welcome to the forum. There are several members with both here, including myself. I don't know that they go together so much as people with autism often have other accompanying difficulties such as dyscalculia.

Thank you all for your answers and the warm welcome ☺️
I wonder, is there a catalogue of comorbid conditions?
I've heard comorbities include irritable bowel syndrome, hypermobility. I suffer both. And I display a multitude of symptoms (like stimming) that point towards asperger autism. I'm a young female adult and 20, 15 years ago asperger autism still had been an exotic diagnosis here, although it's quite common.
I have yet to do delve into the topic. I have joined this site to gather more information, and to exchange experiences. Where I live it takes some time until you get an appointment with a psychologist, and I need to find someone I can confide in. (Also, strangely enough, I'm embarrassed) So no, I don't have a diagnosis yet and it could be something else entirely. But it never hurts to do some research

Thank you all for your answers and the warm welcome ☺️
I wonder, is there a catalogue of comorbid conditions?

I've heard comorbities include irritable bowel syndrome, hypermobility. I suffer both. And I display a multitude of symptoms (like stimming) that point towards asperger autism. I'm a young female adult and 20, 15 years ago asperger autism still had been an exotic diagnosis here, although it's quite common.
I have yet to do delve into the topic. I have joined this site to gather more information, and to exchange experiences. Where I live it takes some time until you get an appointment with a psychologist, and I need to find someone I can confide in. (Also, strangely enough, I'm embarrassed) So no, I don't have a diagnosis yet and it could be something else entirely. But it never hurts to do some research

Conditions comorbid to autism spectrum disorders - Wikipedia

And heres something about us females and Asberger =ASD

Aspienwomen: Moving towards an adult female profile of Autism/Asperger Syndrome

Warm wellcome too the forums Aneka :) . Yes its among the co morbid diagnosis (incl in this list is learning disabilities) too Autism

And yes i have them both + a gazilion other both learning disabilities and diagnosis. many do yes but not all it all depends on both IQ as well as possible learning disabilities (again known co morbid diagnosis too ASD = Autism )

Us females mostly do show our " tics " in other ways then males in general

What is Dyscalculia? I am new to this. I had both musical ability (at age 3) and mathematical ability.

What is Dyscalculia? I am new to this. I had both musical ability (at age 3) and mathematical ability.

Hello to you and welcome I'm new as well.

It's the complete opposite to your mathematical gift. It's a learning impairment concerning algebra/ mathematics. I used to think dyscalculia rules out asperger syndrom, but this is not the case.

Thank you, this is helpful.
I should have simply checked wikipedia first
I definetly have bad coordination as well. I felt like a complete idiot in team sports at school, and can't synchronize my movements with other people's movements. So dancing is not my favorite thing either...
I'm downright clumsy.
One the other hand I have great fine motor skills and have always been gifted in art.

Thank you, this is helpful.
I should have simply checked wikipedia first
I definetly have bad coordination as well. I felt like a complete idiot in team sports at school, and can't synchronize my movements with other people's movements. So dancing is not my favorite thing either...

I'm downright clumsy.
One the other hand I have great fine motor skills and have always been gifted in art.

Youre very wellcome & im glad if i could help :)

Oh the info is all over the webb i only googled and done it MANY MANY MANY hours and years and searched info about all my diagnosis so dont blame youre self.

Also keep in mind DONT compare youre self to others (incl here ) This kind of diagnosis (neoro psychological ) are highly individual + its a difrence between gender as well as said level of severety and last possible co morbid diagnosis.

And last im shore the evaluation will help you find out IF youre indeed on the spectrum or not or some or multible other diagnos/diagnosis .:)

New Threads

Top Bottom