• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ASD with Substance use disorder.

Elemental2693

I have ASD co-occuring with substance use disorder. Any one else have that issue? I have over 8 months sober. I feel like I'm not getting the best quality of sobriety because I haven't meet others wirh same ASD and SUD in 12 step programs. The uncommonality of having these 2 issues makes me feel alone.

Hi I've had alcohol dependancy problems for many years, i read a book by Annie Grace 'the alcohol experiment' and had sobriety for 6 monlths i currently moderate but know my drinking is often driven by my responses to aspects of my Autism, i joined a on-line support group that linked from tha above mentioned book and found it supportive until i became obsessive about the group and stopped using it due to the way it was consuming big chucks of my life, welcome you will find (i hope) acceptance and support here regardless of the substance use disorder.

Weed on and off for 13 years and alcohol abuse for 6.5. I'm on day 149 of quitting both. I suppose I was self medicating to take the edge off long term anxiety and depression. Of course, substances brought about new issues of their own.

With sobriety I notice certain tics and traits are a lot more intense nowadays. Same with emotions - both positive and negative. On the whole I feel better in terms of anxiety and depression now I'm living with a clear head.

Ed

In recovery over 13 years, half a day at a time! (Am on steps 11-10-9!) It wasn't long before I had interests, deep concerns, mental ambitions. And I don't miss those superfluously self-inflicted fears. I happen to be one whose body doesn't safely ingest alcohol. I spend a fraction of what the ales, gin & whisky used to cost, on my potfuls of decent tea. I have wonderful mornings and nights.

A faction of thoughtless individuals sometimes dominate 12 step fellowships, and whom we have to warily make selective use of. My terrific sponsor is not finnicky about others' image in his eyes, he is a man with deeply intuited values, even if less overtly analytical than me. (The analytical and intuition should be complementary.)

IMO everybody in the population should be taught to self-diagnose (without self-shaming) slight manias, which can take a sly form.

Last edited:
I have been an alcoholic for about 7 years. The problem is that it helps with anxiety and adhd like symptoms and inability to make decisions or get things done. I desperately want to quit, and I do not and have never drank just for fun, it's all self medicating. If I do nothing I can lay around and watch movies for 8 hours and not drink or smoke, but the second I get up and try to accomplish tasks that must be accomplished I become a nervous wreck and start self medicating.

Twenty years for me. I've naturally known about my SUD for all of that time, but only diagnosed with ASD in the last few years. You may find support and solace here. Just like in "real life" with conversations, stay away from any thread topics that might glorify drug use.

Twenty years for me. I've naturally known about my SUD for all of that time, but only diagnosed with ASD in the last few years. You may find support and solace here. Just like in "real life" with conversations, stay away from any thread topics that might glorify drug use.

It’s just strange in my case because I used to be a fitness fanatic and would never drink and so on. It’s even like I will drink to deal with anxiety, then get so furious at myself for driniking that I will go buy more beer to deal with how mad I am at myself for drinking

Keep lasting about 20 hours without drinking, but then I get worried that so,etching that needs done is not getting done, so I buy more beer to deal with this

I do not know, I just want for this to stop. 7 years of 10-12 beers/day is far far too long already.

Alcohol and heroin. I relapsed at the beginning of the pandemic due to having no work, structure or routine anymore.
12 step programs never worked out for me. I even managed 6 weeks in a 12 step treatment centre years ago but that was the best I could do, I don’t think it’s suitable for many people on the spectrum for obvious reasons in my opinion.

Last edited:
Alcohol and heroin. I relapsed at the beginning of the pandemic due to having no work, structure or routine anymore.
12 step programs never worked out for me. I even managed 6 weeks in a 12 step treatment centre years ago but that was the best I could do, I don’t think it’s suitable for many people on the spectrum for obvious reasons in my opinion.

When I was homeless for awhile sleeping in my car there was a young couple who dealt/used who were also homeless. The girl was incredibly attractive and would come bum cigarettes from me since she smoked but not very often. The other heroin junkie I knew was this also incredibly attractive Russian girl who was friends with my friends

So I guess my stereotype of a heroine addict is an incredibly attractive 22 year old girl or something. And both of the girls I have known are intelligent, well spoken, kind of just sweet girls.

In my head, it’s like, there is no way I should try this **** since I get addicted to everything I try and crazy hot 22 year girls who have everything to live for are getting addicted to this

I half wish that alcohol and cigarettes were illegal or extremely hard to get at. I’m kind of lazy in a way, and if it was harder to get at things I might actually stop with bad habits

Last edited:
I will not try heroin because I do not need another problem

I half wish that alcohol and cigarettes were illegal or extremely hard to get at
When I was homeless for awhile sleeping in my car there was a young couple who dealt/used who were also homeless. The girl was incredibly attractive and would come bum cigarettes from me since she smoked but not very often. The other heroin junkie I knew was this also incredibly attractive Russian girl who was friends with my friends

So I guess my stereotype of a heroine addict is an incredibly attractive 22 year old girl or something. And both of the girls I have known are intelligent, well spoken, kind of just sweet girls.

In my head, it’s like, there is no way I should try this **** since I get addicted to everything I try and crazy hot 22 year girls who have everything to live for are getting addicted to this

I half wish that alcohol and cigarettes were illegal or extremely hard to get at. I’m kind of lazy in a way, and if it was harder to get at things I might actually stop with bad habits

“Alcohol” by the Kinks. One of my favorite songs

Same. I was a semi addict for 6 years with all kind of substances, especially alcohol and cocaine/amphetamines. But it was generally really everything.. Currently sober for 7 months now... my longest was 8 months in 2018-2019 until it hit me badly again. I was pretty sure it is over now forever until a few days ago due to emotional instability and a deadly lack of happy hormones.. well.. at least I have no access to anything right now.

Same. I was a semi addict for 6 years with all kind of substances, especially alcohol and cocaine/amphetamines. But it was generally really everything.. Currently sober for 7 months now... my longest was 8 months in 2018-2019 until it hit me badly again. I was pretty sure it is over now forever until a few days ago due to emotional instability and a deadly lack of happy hormones.. well.. at least I have no access to anything right now.
I hope we are still friends. <hug>
If there is anything I can do, please tell me.

I was pretty sure it is over now forever until a few days ago due to emotional instability and a deadly lack of happy hormones..
I find caffeine amplifies all the emotions. I know you like dark chocolate. I would stop taking anything which has caffeine in it. <hug>

I do self medicate with alcohol but i am not sure if i am dependent on it. I have a tendency to start smoking when i am depressed also but quit after the episode ends.

I have been an alcoholic for about 7 years. The problem is that it helps with anxiety and adhd like symptoms and inability to make decisions or get things done. I desperately want to quit, and I do not and have never drank just for fun, it's all self medicating. If I do nothing I can lay around and watch movies for 8 hours and not drink or smoke, but the second I get up and try to accomplish tasks that must be accomplished I become a nervous wreck and start self medicating.

this. Its right on the money.

New Threads

Top Bottom