• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ASD Student Survey

Hello, my name is Elizabeth. I am collecting information about the use of assistive and adaptive technologies in classrooms and whether they enhance students with ASD learning experiences as a part of my fieldwork for my Disability Studies MA Program at the CUNY School of Professional Studies. Below is the questionnaire I have created for students with ASD who have experience using assistive/adaptive technologies in the classroom or any academic setting. Your participation is greatly appreciated and will be kept anonymous. I am looking forward to using your feedback to gain insight into a very important topic. If you feel that you cannot provide sufficient feedback for this survey, please send the link to anyone you believe can.

Here is the link to the anonymous survey:
https://s.surveyplanet.com/zrswtbs1

Thank you!

Hello & welcome @Elizabeth.vargas91.

FYI, this forum skews ASD1. Students so diagnosed usually get a 504 Plan.
Most "assistive & adaptive technologies" are used in special education classrooms. Those are ASD2/3 students who have IEPs. There are a handful of 2s & 3s here, but most do not get online by themselves.

If you want more input about them, you should expand your outreach to organizations like...
I have two who have had such IEPs, but they are years out of school, now.

Last edited:

Most "assistive & adaptive technologies" are used in special education classrooms. Those are ASD2/3 students who have IEPs. There are a handful of 2s & 3s here, but most do not get online by themselves.

If you want more input about them, you should expand your outreach to organizations like...
I have two that had such IEPs, but they are years out of school, now.
Don't really know why you are making that assumption like yes many people here were diagnosed as adults but pretty much every asd1 kid I went to school with had an IEP and while I was diagnosed asd2 I occupy a blurry line and I also had an IEP and I used assistive tech. While I think it's good to look towards others place with bigger populations I think your blanket statements ignore a large subset of people even on this forum that have experiences that don't match to your own (your kids are not asd1 and you were diagnosed as an adult). I for one will be participating and I hope others find this survey to resonate with them.

Don't really know why you are making that assumption like yes many people here were diagnosed as adults but pretty much every asd1 kid I went to school with had an IEP and while I was diagnosed asd2 I occupy a blurry line and I also had an IEP and I used assistive tech. While I think it's good to look towards others place with bigger populations I think your blanket statements ignore a large subset of people even on this forum that have experiences that don't match to your own (your kids are not asd1 and you were diagnosed as an adult). I for one will be participating and I hope others find this survey to resonate with them.
Thank you so much for participating I really appreciate it! :)

I have two that had such IEPs, but they are years out of school, now.
Thank you for your response and I appreciate your feedback. I have reached out and posted to those organizations as well. It's important to have an expansive sample size for my research to get a more valid result. That is why I am hoping anyone who comes across this forum who resonates with the topic of this survey will choose to participate.

I am looking for participants who have used assistive/adaptive technologies as well as IEP both currently and in the past. Any feedback is welcome. I am curious about what can be improved upon in the world of assistive and adaptive tech, so your friends can participate too if they would like since their feedback would be extremely helpful!

I am looking for participants who have used assistive/adaptive technologies as well as IEP both currently and in the past.
My verbal, ASD2 son (now 35) was not offered any devices. He has a mental age of 6-10.
My non-verbal, ASD3 daughter (now 28) used (at least) PECS & BIGMack with no success. She can sign single words and understands simple commands. She has an m.a. of 18mos.

(I have met other non-verbals who are age-appropriate in their typing. They just cannot talk. That is a different condition from my daughter.)

My verbal, ASD2 son (now 35) was not offered any devices. He has a mental age of 6-10.
My non-verbal, ASD3 daughter (now 28) used (at least) PECS & BIGMack with no success. She can sign single words and understands simple commands. She has an m.a. of 18mos.

(I have met other non-verbals who are age-appropriate in their typing. They just cannot talk. That is a different condition from my daughter.)
Thank you for sharing this information it is very helpful. In my studies I have learned that sign language is very useful for many nonverbal individuals as well as using a tablet for text-to-speech.

New Threads

Top Bottom